Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is Schafer's Canal House still on the western shore just north of the bridge?

It's on the Northern shore of the Canal...just East of the bridge with some of the docks running under the bridge to the West.

Was reopened a few years ago...almost stopped there last December but the city dock was open/empty.

The canal is considered the dividing line between the eastern and Western shores of Maryland.

local knowledge I guess...been through it a plenty of times and never heard it referred to that way.

then to answer...yes on the western shore...but more east of the bridge or under it than north.

Yep, Schaefers is alive and well. Never been.

ForumRunner_20130608_171232.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_171301.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_171315.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_171328.jpg

Many years ago, won't say how many, I was a waiter in training there.

I quickly learned that food service wasn't my calling...

Wonder if they still have the Jamaican style kettle drum band?

That pulley looks like it exploded.

Did you make it to the crabhouse?

Last edited:
T

ForumRunner_20130608_201804.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_201827.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_201848.jpg

he deck at the Chesapeake Inn seems to be the place. There is more bling and silicon in their then a Donald Trump party

sorry did not make the crab house. I'm headed out tonight about 10:30 to make the midnight tide at Reedy Point for an overnight run down the Delaware Bay then round Cape May and if the forecast is good then a rhumb line for the Cape Cod Canal 260 miles or so. Wish me luck :)

Be safe and steady.

First time I remember feeling a few twinges of missing that place.

Last edited:
Good luck, Daddyo. Glad that the pulley let go in the canal instead of the Delaware. That's a long off-shore run to Cape Cod canal....too brazen for me, especially with the remnant bands of weather dragged along by Andrea.

Offshore report...all on the butt and a fairly long period

Tonight
S to SW winds 10 to 20 kt...becoming W to SW 10 to 15 kt in the evening...then...becoming W to NW after midnight. Seas 5 to 9 ft...subsiding to 3 to 6 ft after midnight.
Sun
Variable winds 10 kt or less...becoming S to se less than 10 kt in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 5 ft.
Sun Night
S to SW winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft.
Mon
S to se winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming S 10 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Scattered showers and chance of tstms.
Mon Night
S winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas building to 4 to 6 ft.
Tue

Dominant Wave Period (DWP):8 secDominant Wave Height (DWH):4.92 ftDominant Wave Range (DWR):exactly 4.9 ftWind Wave Period (WWP):4 secWind Wave Height (WWH):1.64 ftWind Wave Range (WWR):0.82 - 2.46 ftWave Swell Period (WSP):8 secWave Swell Height (WSH):4.92 ftWave Swell Range (WSR):4.10 - 5.74 ft

Last edited:
Thanks that's the info I need!!

Illuminated by the bridge lights overhead!

ForumRunner_20130608_230104.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_230125.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_230135.jpg

Nice shots, I see you are almost to Delaware Bay. Have a safe passage. Its going to be a long night.

I Love early mornings in June on the Ocean!!!!

Daddyo you are living the Dream--

Happy Cruising!

JohnP

Are there any navigable inlets on the south shore of Long Island in case I have to bailout tomorrow?

Jersey has Cape May, Townsends Inlet, Great Egg Inlet, Absecon Inlet, Barnegat Inlet, Manasquan Inlet and Shark River inlet

Absecon is Atlantic City and the best north of Cape May with the last 3 all being good..... except with a 4-5 foot or greater easterly swell. All then would be bad on an ebb...passable but not for the average boater.

I am just inside Townsends inlet if you need anything.

Last edited:
It's long Island I'm interested in, thanks though.

sorry, missed the "shore" next to south...

they are all navigable but with a southerly swell many are pretty bad...sorry I have no feel for what they are like with a sea running and what you might be willing to run. My guess is that if you are getting beat up offshore...many of those inlets would be a mess.

How far off are you gonna run? Rhumbline to? A post a few moons ago you were thinking Long Island Sound...different run today? I might be able to get an inlet/surf report for you have an idea of which one would be closest to your "duck in" point.

Rhumb line to Cape Cod Canal.

Wish I could be helpful on your Long Island quandary, but no knowledge there. We did get blown around a good bit in Beaufort Inlet yesterday 20kt winds. Not sure if that remnant will get you, but be safe.

Your pulley blow-out was amazing. What did American Diesel speculate (you said they did not know, but guess?) was the cause? Seems like an awful lot of torque to cause that. What was the age/hours on the part?

sorry...just tried several inlet reports and what weren't damaged by Sandy...the others have been shut down for funding....

sorry...just tried several inlet reports and what weren't damaged by Sandy...the others have been shut down for funding....

Thanks for trying. Looks to be all or nothing.:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom