Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For five months a year Maine is absolute perfection:thumb:

I had a Maine Coon cat. Does that count?

It's a good idea to pay attention

ForumRunner_20130606_164206.jpg

Saw that one on AIS and was wondering if you'd get a pic. Probably on its way back to Europe to pick up more BMWs, Mercedes and Volvos. We actually tracked our last two cars coming over from Europe to Baltimore.

Last edited:
Sharpe's Island light. Knocked over when the Bay froze in '76-77.

Attachments

• P1080258.jpg
    P1080258.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 101
The relative clam before the storm

ForumRunner_20130607_062952.jpg

ForumRunner_20130607_063006.jpg

Stark! I feel like I'm in a Edward Hopper painting.

ForumRunner_20130607_063659.jpg

ForumRunner_20130607_063646.jpg

Thomas Point Light and the Sandy Point Shoal Light

Attachments

• P1080264.jpg
    P1080264.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 88
  • P1080275.jpg
    P1080275.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 96
Thomas Point Light and the Sandy Point Shoal Light

I learned to swim at Sandy Point State park with the Y. :dance: Ah nostalgia.

Storm looks to be moving faster than expected yesterday. Good luck!

Anybody have a really good source for the offshore forecast tonight and tomorrow?

The Turkey Point Light at the split with the Susquehanna River and the C&D Canal

Attachments

• P1080283.jpg
    P1080283.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 87
Actually I screwed up in calculating the tide. You want to reach Reedy Point at high tide but not earlier. You need a logarithmic equation to calculate that from 45nm away, based on the canal current which will run in access of 5 knots at times. I took a guesstimated average speed for the trip and since I didn't achieve that speed earlier well guess what I'm not here in time for the tide :banghead: The bang head is very appropriate as that is what I am doing against the current which has just gone past slack and will be ebbing soon.

So much for the low fuel burn today.

When you go by Chesapeake City, stop and pick me up some crabs, a case of Natty Bo and some silver queen corn!!!

Same burn just less mpg for a bit

That is a sweet little efficient boat. She has a sailboat like hull and stern.

Attachments

• P1080288.jpg
    P1080288.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 100
  • P1080289.jpg
    P1080289.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 102
Looks like you will be passing the State of Maine in the canal. She is on her way to Baltimore. It is the Maine Maritime training ship. Would love to see a pic if you can get one. My brother spent two summers on it when he was at MM, including a trip to Estonia. At the end of one of the training cruises, I was able to hope a ride with my parents and brother from Portland to Castine. I'm sure he would like to see a pic of her underway.

I can remember when I was a kid, we would jump the container ship wakes in the canal with our Boston Whaler.

We were stupid and lucky we weren't killed.

Last edited:
According to Marinetraffic, State of Maine is about five miles ahead of you, cruising at 10 knots. I see that tides are really starting to impact your speed - 5.3 knots? Still plan to stop at Chesapeake City?

According to Marinetraffic, State of Maine is about five miles ahead of you, cruising at 10 knots. I see that tides are really starting to impact your speed - 5.3 knots? Still plan to stop at Chesapeake City?

It might be worth the wait in regards to tide and, if it's still there, the crabs at the crab house on the east side.

The water pump pulley on the starboard engine just failed a mile from Chesapeake City. No way to know that the metal had fatigued and catastrophic failure was imminent. American Diesel is overnighting me one. They had never seen this failure. So no preventive maintenance would have caught this.

Redundancy I've always thought was a bit overrated. But!! Because I have two alternators on that engine and because I have a recirculating pump for the water heater and box heater I could restart the engine when I was anchoring and in fact could have continued indefinitely depending on if my pump was sufficient to cool the engine (I don't know).

That was because I was running on one engine:facepalm:

Sorry, Hopper didn't do trawlers.

img_161363_0_cc45edda156deb85c3a87b8633737995.jpg

But he did do bridges.

img_161363_1_559766fe4d3267effa90dd83f8b28a7b.jpg

Awesome, nice work! Funny thing is I've never seen the bridge picture before. Hopper and I must have been soul mates:socool:

Wow, that sucks. At least it chose to give up close to an easy port!

I don't believe so but I can't see there from my spot.

Back
Top Bottom