Your favorite river

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going up the Chester there are lots of neat spots until the junction w/ Langford Cr. & Corsica River, then it becomes very scenic & rural until Chestertown itself. Our avatar was taken in a small cove partway up the Corsica. Interestingly enough, the town of Centerville has put in new docks & is a nice place for a stroll & burgers 'n beer.

Going up the Chester there are lots of neat spots until the junction w/ Langford Cr. & Corsica River, then it becomes very scenic & rural until Chestertown itself. Our avatar was taken in a small cove partway up the Corsica. Interestingly enough, the town of Centerville has put in new docks & is a nice place for a stroll & burgers 'n beer.

I hear the water gets pretty thin up by the Centreville docks. What do you draw?

These pictures made in the anchorage at Reed Creek off the Chester River near the Corsica River.

img_161251_0_d4b16292bdd93a77ddde3c5d8859b55b.jpg

img_161251_1_df0c883321d8a1e81c677b1b7def7050.jpg

img_161251_2_251be6b0ccf6c2016d6a3ce67503cc59.jpg

That's what I love about the Chesapeake-----so many great places to anchor.

Last edited:
Huon River Tasmania

My current favourite is the Huon in Tasmania - a true delight for a timber boat fan.

Attachments

• huon river peaceful 2 (800x451).jpg
    huon river peaceful 2 (800x451).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 107
  • huon river wooden boat school ext1 (800x451).jpg
    huon river wooden boat school ext1 (800x451).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 102
  • huon river wooden boat school ext3 (800x451).jpg
    huon river wooden boat school ext3 (800x451).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 107
  • huon river franklin submerged boat (800x451).jpg
    huon river franklin submerged boat (800x451).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 106
  • huon river wooden boat school ext2.jpg
    huon river wooden boat school ext2.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 101
  • flemingo anchors in the bush dover (640x361).jpg
    flemingo anchors in the bush dover (640x361).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 103
John. The Mus----------ong river? Is that dude in the canoe pic YOU!

Eric, That's me! We use to sleep in my Grandparents boathouse--My Mom said my Sister and I both had hammocks suspended from the rafters to bunk in.

John that's wonderful. Just like kids sleeping in the barn making believe they're cowboys.

eagle419 ... that's a place I want to go now and had no such inclination before. The clouds are like here in the US PNW and I do like the wood boats. I looked (clicked) on all your pics and Taz became a new place. Thanks.

The CT river from Hartford to Old Saybrook is fresh till almost the end , and easy to anchor and swim in.

Small towns like Deep River are easy walks Essex has a tie up museum and lots of expensive shopping and eateries the M>M folks.

Hamburg cove (weekdays) is a wonderful sheltered harbor with moorings galore .

Running up and down the river is far easier with a chart , but the fiord like scenery makes it worth it.

Gulfstar;

Honestly, I'm not sure. the locals indicated that there had been some dredging done recently. Quite a few workboats at the docks. We went up in the dink to explore. Slips are fairly large, & we did pass an Albin 34/+/- type as we headed back to our boat. Channel is well marked & looked like it might be deep enough for our Californian. I need 4' , but hope for more. We have gotten a little sensitive as our props shrink in diameter due to "exploring"

Rio Dulce. Guatemala.

The Hudson well because it's THE Hudson.

Only a few miles long but Onancock Creek on the eastern shore of VA is stunning and terminates at a Norman Rockwell of a town Onancock

The New River (second oldest river in the world) near Mouth of Wilson in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Attachments

• P1010265.jpg
    P1010265.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 114
  • P1010203.jpg
    P1010203.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 107
  • P1010206.jpg
    P1010206.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 119
I would say the Chester River on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake, followed very closely by the Wye. The edge goes to the Chester because it has Chestertown at the practical head of navigation.

Close call though.

Mike
The Sassafrass is a beauty with a happy ending at the harbor at Georgetown. Chester River is totally unspoiled, the Wye is lovely as well.

Waccamaw River, SC
KJ

1429-albums134-picture599.jpg

St Johns River Cruising

Hello all Stations, Barco Sin Vela here to entice boaters to come to the river paradise known as the St Johns river, America's Nile of North America.

Originally from the SF Bay Area, we live in NE Florida because of the river and the availability of safe cruising without having to deal with the harshness of ocean weather. A family could cruise the St Johns for years and never be bored with the same scenery.

By the way, the entire river lends itself to easy anchorages and with little harassment from the Gendarmes concerned with limiting time at anchor. All you need is to have proper equipment, i.e.; Holding Tank, lights and radio and current registration and you are pretty much free to go where you like.

There are a few cruising guides available, the guide published by Thomas Kranz is a bit dated, but lists the many quality anchorages that the author personally tested out along with convenient charts.

Here are a few photos I took from two trips to Hontoon State Park, on the St Johns River... A gem of a destination, if you draw four feet or less.

South of Hontoon Island on Vimeo

Attachments

• SWWBO Drives south of Astor.JPG
    SWWBO Drives south of Astor.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Closeup of Oxbow Trawler.JPG
    Closeup of Oxbow Trawler.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Georgetown Sunrise  looking at Lake.JPG
    Georgetown Sunrise looking at Lake.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 247
  • Hontoon Gator.JPG
    Hontoon Gator.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Hontoon Gator2.JPG
    Hontoon Gator2.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Hontoon6.JPG
    Hontoon6.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 245
  • Hontoon7.JPG
    Hontoon7.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Hontoon8.JPG
    Hontoon8.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Stjohns3OnWatch.jpg
    Stjohns3OnWatch.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Stjohns15.jpg
    Stjohns15.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Neuse River North Carolina might be a little boring, but it works for me. Actually, anywhere in Eastern NC.

Movie Boat01 - YouTube

Hello all Stations, Barco Sin Vela here to entice boaters to come to the river paradise known as the St Johns river, America's Nile of North America.

:ermm::ermm::ermm:

What are those things in the water in the fourth and fifth picture???

:nonono::nonono::nonono: This old boy is staying his keister in California and you guys can go swimming all you want with those overgrown handbags!!!:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Hey Craig,
I'm from your area and I have seen those sturgeon, which lurk in the murky depths. They scare me more than a few gators. Since I used to swim for a living, I don't voluntarily swim anymore. (Gators are as good a reason as any to not swim!)

P.S. Isleton has the best crawfish in the world! Too bad we can't get any of your local crawfish sent to the South.

The Trent Severn waterway, mostly made up of natural rivers is 386 km (241 miles) long and extremely beautiful. A Canadian National Historic site and worth anyone's time to explore. The St. Lawrence Seaway, third picture is also a thing of beauty.

Attachments

• IMG_1719 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1719 (Large).jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1728 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1728 (Large).jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0562 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0562 (Large).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 83
Most of my younger year on the mississippi just north of Capn Craig and now on the Hudson. Both great rivers to be able to spend time on.

mike

Back
Top Bottom