Need to know about any traditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lgbert

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
OZ
Vessel Make
1998 Marine Trader Tradewinds
Hopefully I will be taking possession of my MT by next week. Since have the survery, paperwork, $$$$ to finalize

Boat has a great name, so not renaming

I will be taking delivery of the boat at one marina and moving a short distance to another. Then will starting cleaning, mapping out the interior, getting into nooks and crannies. So it will be a few days before I take her out of my "first trip"

Any ceremonies/chants I should accomplish when I take possession or can I wait until she goes out after getting spruced up. I would not want to "offend" any of the water gods/goddes/sea creatures/mermaids, ect

Thanks,
Bert

Pray that the suprises you find will be small ones :)

Non that I know of but every time I start the engines I cross my fingers/toes and say a little prayer. Please let this engine start!:angel: I have my diesel mechanic phone number on speed dial just in case! ;)

Bert,

Shifting berth in harbour is not critical so no worries there.

Traditionally, it's not a real voyage unless you leave one harbour and travel to another (hopefully strange and new to you) place. Sea trials (out and back) don't really count either......

Once you do start a real voyage, a shot of your favorite beverage for Neptune(overboard), and one for yourself and each of the crew, is traditional. Only one mind you.....And this is only to be taken when out to sea and well clear of the harbour and land......

Bert,

Shifting berth in harbour is not critical so no worries there.

Traditionally, it's not a real voyage unless you leave one harbour and travel to another (hopefully strange and new to you) place. Sea trials (out and back) don't really count either......

Once you do start a real voyage, a shot of your favorite beverage for Neptune(overboard), and one for yourself and each of the crew, is traditional. Only one mind you.....And this is only to be taken when out to sea and well clear of the harbour and land......

Gee, if moving the boat in the marina, and shake down don’t count then last year we took the Eagle out ZERO times. :eek: I think they should count as we did leave the dock.:D:facepalm:

We intend to rename our boat, I have been told about the 'champagne on the bow' in front of a witness deal, is there anything else that should be done ?

I'm not superstitious in any way, but I strongly believe that alcohol should be involved in anything to do with nautical tradition.

A tradition from the old country, Italy: have a friend toss a few silver coins into the boat. The theory back in the old country was that "silver follows silver" in the case of fishing boats, good fishing luck.

I don't recommend breaking the bottle: just serve a large serving to Neptune.

img_160704_0_9765d43884df2060cd2777cc66319a40.jpg

We intend to rename our boat, I have been told about the 'champagne on the bow' in front of a witness deal, is there anything else that should be done ?

You know about getting a virgin to pee in the bilge, right? Age old tradition...don't mess it up now after all these years.

Where the hell am I going to find a virgin these days ?

I'm not superstitious in any way, but I strongly believe that alcohol should be involved in anything to do with nautical tradition.

I'll drink to that!

Where the hell am I going to find a virgin these days ?

I don't know, but I have some virgin pee left over from my renaming ceremony I could send you for the right price. It's in a decorator bottle! :D

They're as rare as hen's teeth which is why we no longer sacrifice a virgin on the bow like the old days. Personally, I'm grateful for that change. What a waste of a perfectly good virgin!!

I don't know, but I have some virgin pee left over from my renaming ceremony I could send you for the right price. It's in a decorator bottle! :D

They're as rare as hen's teeth which is why we no longer sacrifice a virgin on the bow like the old days. Personally, I'm grateful for that change. What a waste of a perfectly good virgin!!

Weeelll...we need to talk price I guess due to the serious lack of virgins around here....however I think an intro to the donor, just to verify authenticity is in order. :whistling:

And I for one would prefer to sacrifice the virgins on the bow and keep the experienced harlots around...perhaps I really was a pirate in a past life ?:rofl:

I heard you should "KEEL HAUL" the wife!!!
It's not exactly traditional, but it's really good fun!!!

Virgin pee in the bilge- This might just be a gold mine for my crazy aunt.
She said $50 and a round trip ticket and it's a deal. ;)

Very important to properly de-name then re-name your boat. Here are a couple of ceremonies:

Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com

48° Vigor's Interdenominational Boat Denaming Ceremony

Very comprehensive ! Thankyou...but, I shall be doing all the invocations inside the cabin...people already have strange thoughts about us Aussies in the USA...plus Bruto's crazy aunt will be in a kiddy pool of baby oil with my wife at that point so I will need to referee...muahahaha :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom