Willard 36 pilothouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
I for one have always loved the lines of the Willard 36 pilothouse.

It is probably to me at least one of the most "shippie" looking boats out there.

There were I believe 6 made, which of those 6, five are still in service.

One of these appears to be for sale

Willard 36 Pilot House Boats for Sale

Has anybody been on this boat? I heard it was at the Willard gettogether in Anacortes this year.

FYI, I have no relation to the seller of this boat, I'm just a guy that really likes the looks of these boats but has never actually set foot on one.

I went aboard this boat at the Rendezvous. They have a very interesting layout. My wife and I liked it a lot. I did not chat with the owners very much, we were giving tours of our Willard 30 MK IV at the time as well. Very stout vessels.

Crappy website.

You have to register to view the boat.

That's a disservice to their advertisers.

:(

I agree - to have to resister to have the privilege of viewing a boat for sale - poor form and seems to be counter to the expeditious sale of anything.

My .02

Also agree. Even though I registered a number of years ago I avoid Boatshed unless I absolutely have no other way of viewing an interesting boat.

For those who enjoy or lust for a 36 Pilot house Willard, in the mean while you should enjoy t.hree novels written by Clyde Ford, retired Coast Guard officer. He writes of maritime mysteries in the Bellingham, Washington area including the lower B.C. Canada waters. The title of the books are: 'Whiskey Gulf', 'Precious Cargo' and 'Red Herring.
His personal boat and abode, is a 36 Pilot house Willard as described.
I will assure you a racing good time and a new appreciation of the Willard.
Regards,
A.M.Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Yup

It's like a car lot w wonderful cars inside but surrounded by a 10' fence w a small door and some guy collecting e-mails and phone numbers to get in to see the cars.

Real Estate is like that too now ... to a great extent. How does one shop for a house w/o giving out ones personal information? The situation won't go back either unless people stop giving out their stuff. Is it possible to reverse?

I refused to register, but I wanted more information on the Willard 36 Pilothouse so I found this link Willard Vega 36 Pilothouse | Willard Boats. I guess the one fore sale is the "Dulcinea" based in Blaine WA. W36 PH "Dulcinea" | Willard Boats

Looks like a very nice boat. Since I'm really interested in a transportable boat this picture of QUASAR caught my eye
DSC00026.JPG
It looks like the pilothouse was lifted off and stowed on the foredeck for transit (hum). I wonder how hard it is to remove the Pilothouse?

I noticed the "Dulcinea" is equipped with NAIAD stabilizers. :thumb:

Another picture of QUASAR reassembled:
IMG_1582a.jpg

I also resent the idea of having to register my e-mail just to see boats for sale (seems counter productive), but I did this years ago with the same outfit when looking at another Willard. Anyway, the boat is really a neat little trawler, and very capable. If I were in the PNW, I'd be looking for Willard 40's or 36's. They just seem totally appropriate for the kind of cruising environment there.

I just think its a cool looking boat.

I've looked at all the photos, and in my opinion, from the photos, this one seems like its a project boat...

And he is asking $169K, seems high for a project 36' boat to me.

But then again possibly my idea of a project and some one elses is different.

What I was curious about is if someone at the willard fest had actually been on the boat, and could tell of its condition.

For those who enjoy or lust for a 36 Pilot house Willard, in the mean while you should enjoy t.hree novels written by Clyde Ford, retired Coast Guard officer. He writes of maritime mysteries in the Bellingham, Washington area including the lower B.C. Canada waters. The title of the books are: 'Whiskey Gulf', 'Precious Cargo' and 'Red Herring.
His personal boat and abode, is a 36 Pilot house Willard as described.
I will assure you a racing good time and a new appreciation of the Willard.
Regards,
A.M.Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

I met Clyde at the Vancouver boat show a few years ago - a very interesting and personable fellow for sure. Of course I picked up a signed copy of Precious Cargo!
Although his character Charlie Noble has a Coast Guard background, Clyde himself has a very different, and eclectic, background:

Clyde W. Ford Website

When I met him he was trying to decide if he would sell his Willard 30, his muse for writing his Charlie Noble series. Good to hear he's in a 36 now.

Yup

It's like a car lot w wonderful cars inside but surrounded by a 10' fence w a small door and some guy collecting e-mails and phone numbers to get in to see the cars.

Real Estate is like that too now ... to a great extent. How does one shop for a house w/o giving out ones personal information? The situation won't go back either unless people stop giving out their stuff. Is it possible to reverse?

All of our real estate websites have no obligation access for people to search the local MLS.

Actually, you can set yourself up to receive emails of property that comes on the market within your search criteria.

Last edited:
My feelings also. I wont register to look at the photos either.
Price seems way high to me.

I don't really care much about the registering but I do care about the e-mails and such you'll get after registering.

freshalaska,
Price??? You mean some are charging money to access their housing list?

I don't really care much about the registering but I do care about the e-mails and such you'll get after registering.

freshalaska,
Price??? You mean some are charging money to access their housing list?

I think he means that at $169K the boat is above market.

I think he means that at $169K the boat is above market.

Yeah, I saw that price and I can't substantiate it either, especially with what is indicated in the photos. It's 100,000 bucks more than one I was interested in a few years ago that looked in similar condition. It is nevertheless, a very interesting vessel.

Yeah, I saw that price and I can't substantiate it either, especially with what is indicated in the photos. It's 100,000 bucks more than one I was interested in a few years ago that looked in similar condition. It is nevertheless, a very interesting vessel.

My thoughts exactly - I remember that one - and that was when the market was better.

Of course one wonders what it would look like with wannabe windows....

Larry, Conrad,

I think this may be the same vessel you're referring to. I did hear on the dock that he did fix it up really nice...............

Of course one wonders what it would look like with wannabe windows....

No challenge there, Conrad. These two almost identical 36's were both sitting over at Canvas Cafe & Marina getting fuel. One was a wannabe model.

Attachments

• 36 Willard wannabe.jpg
    36 Willard wannabe.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 581
No challenge there, Conrad. These two almost identical 36's were both sitting over at Canvas Cafe & Marina getting fuel. One was a wannabe model.

Ahhh....perfection! Thanks Larry. (Although I may be the only one who will thank you...)

Mirror image

FAKE ALERT That is my old boat "EYKIS". My wife and I rebuilt her from the bottom up & cruised from 1994 to selling her in 2004 in Anacortes, WA. The alleged photo is a double image fake of the same boat that someone photoshopped and changed a few things. Take a look at the flags and background. The boat in Nov 2013 is currently called "Dulcinea" & for sale, much changed & sadly deteriorated, laying in Blaine, WA.

The one on the right is the real. Left one is total fake.

You can see the real photos on the Willard Groups Pictures under "Eykis".
It is the only 36' of 6 (1966-1969) ever built like it & went to Hawaii and back on it's own bottom. We have personal letters of that journey from that owner, Bill Schallenberg ("Hornblower" then) to prove that as well. He only burned 330 gallons fuel one way completing the trip in 18 days. The Willard boat builders in Costa Mesa, CA also have a copy of this documentation. USCG documentation center have history on file as it is still a documented vessel. Look it up by name. This is public information to anyone.

Thought you should know the facts here.

Don Souza

Back
Top Bottom