Bad chain link

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys, I think your drifting a bit from John's question on how to replace a bad chain link ;)

I too have the exact same problem with a severely compromised rusty link near the middle of my chain yet the rest of the chain does not have a spot of rust on it. Upon googling the issue using various search terms, it seems to be a surprisingly common occurrence and leaves me to wonder if these bad links are where the factory spliced the chain? I looked at the suggestions noted in this thread but also found this possibility called Marquip, LINKS AND SHACKLES and cursor down the page to Marquip. (couldn't figure out how to post the pic here). In any case, it seems to address all the issues raised. Has anybody tried this type of connector and can confirm it actually will feed through the winch? I wonder about the cross bar in the middle of this connecting link causing feed problems?

The problem with the Marquip links is that the smallest one they make is for 3/4" chain.

I would love to have Stainless chain, but man that stuff is expensive. When I checked the 5/16" was about $17.00 a foot.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I need to find out exactly where it is in the chain. If it is favoring one end, I will use one of the recommendations and also turn it around so it likely won't see much use. We generally don't anchor in anything over 20ft of water down here and it is sticky mud so the holding is usually decent.

Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom