Temporary prop paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I'm installing new props in an effort to download my engines and achieve rated WOT rpm. The props shop has estimated the props I need but I won’t be sure they are the correct pitch until I try them out. It may be necessary to add some pitch or cup if they are slightly under pitched, which I think they may be. That’s OK, better to be under pitched slightly than over pitched. I want to paint the props with prop speed an anti fowling paint but if I do so and the props have to be re-pitched or some cup put in I think the prop speed will be destroyed. Prop speed paint is about $350 and the cost for a diver to change out the props is about $150. I also need a bottom job which I will do this winter. So I think I’m going to wait on the prop speed paint until I pull the boat this winter but I don’t want to leave the new props totally un-protected. Is there some cheap paint I can use that will temporally protect the props somewhat for a couple of months until I can paint them at haul out?

pettitzincbarnaclebarrier.jpg

PETTIT PAINTS Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier at West Marine

BTW- $150 is dirt cheap for pulling two props.

Check out the price difference between WM and Defender

With shipping, it's about a wash.

One thing I like about Defender is they allow you to select USPS, which is cheaper and faster than UPS residential, so in this case you'd actually save a few pennies. If you use UPS you'll pay more than WM.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm buying more and more at WM. In many cases I can't find the stuff on line for less. And with this boat, I'm buying a LOT of stuff.

That's true Tom, it is about a wash in this case. And also true about selecting USPS.

I usually prefer Fisheries Supply, Harbor Marine and others to WM and it's fun to talk about this now as in Alaska most all the time NAPA was all we had. Don't laugh too hard because in AK NAPA has much that is marine. Four or 5 domestic water pumps to choose from and about all the Jabsco impellers there is.

I do shop at WM for certain things. I've bought anchors, fenders and other stuff but if I want hydraulic steering stuff or paint I go to Fisheries or Harbor Marine and talk to a "clerk" that actually knows something.

As to the OP I use ArmorAll on my prop and have never had a barnacle that wasn't right next to the hub. But if you put ArmorAll on your prop, coating it w anything else may not be possible afterwards. I'm sure there is some stuff like acetone or MEK that will take 100% of the ArmorAll off but I don't know what it is.

I'd like to know if cold galvanize (as in aerosol can) would be a good coating for a prop. It actually sticks to my anchor but my prop goes faster than my anchor.

If you use your boat enough, would you even need to coat it at all? I have been told no.

All prop paint is temporary ...

If you use your boat enough, would you even need to coat it at all? I have been told no.

the big question is how much do you HAVE to ue it.

where tides are big, some workboats are left to dry out on purpose to keep fouling down to a minimum or none.

Completely dependant upon the fouling conditions where your boat lives. If your prop never stopped moving, then perhaps it would never become foul. But nobody's prop never stops moving.

There is no "one-size-fits-all" fouling solution for either painted or unpainted surfaces and anybody who tells you there is doesn't know what he is talking about.

I guess my fouling conditions are not bad enough here in Texas because I use my boat a lot and my props always come out of the water clean.

I have also heard that surfboard wax(ie Sexwax) applied to the propeller will keep the barnacles off. I have wanted to try but never really felt the need to.

The Cold Galvanizing Spray paint at Lowes specs out the same for $ 6.99 as the $ 19.00 paint that says MARINE.

The Cold Galvanizing Spray paint at Lowes specs out the same for $ 6.99 as the $ 19.00 paint that says MARINE.

I was going to say that Rustoleum's galvanizing zinc primer $6-8 is identical in ingredients and % to Pettit. I have used it several times and am pleased.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom