Time from offer to keys in your hand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
I have owned a few boats, smaller and less complex. My question is, once you made a decision to purchase a specific vessel how long did the process take from offer, inspection, engine analysis, sea trail and delivery.

I have owned a few boats, smaller and less complex. My question is, once you made a decision to purchase a specific vessel how long did the process take from offer, inspection, engine analysis, sea trail and delivery.

No set answers here. I depends, and mostly on you. Unless you are prepared to wait out a sellers decision on your offer you could wind up paying more for the boat. Patience is a virtue here. How many conditions do you put on your offer. Clearing those unknowns can take time. How much due diligence do you require. Hull and engine surveys are normal, and most times some issues are found. It is a process unlike most other purchases. Also if being financed, the lender will take some time to approve. Take your time, and do it right. Good luck.

I have bought two trawlers. In both cases the process took a week or ten days once the price haggling was over. Both were in convenient locations with surveyors and boatyards nearby, neither was financed if so that would probably add more time.

Five days for an all cash deal with basic hull survey.

Two months- difficult price negotiation, financed, hull and engine survey, negotiate issues found, etc.

David

Once you have an accepted offer, a week or two is generally your time frame.

The survey will be the longest lead time issue. Generally a good surveyor can look at a boat within a few days to a week, then they take another couple of days to produce the survey.

If there is nothing you feel you need to negotiate price over, then all you need to do is pay for the boat and its yours.

Your USCG documentation can take a couple of months to get back. That wont keep you from operating the boat, but it will keep you from crossing international borders with it.

Back
Top Bottom