Mail/permanent address question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnvoss

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gray Eagle
Vessel Make
1985 35" CHB
What do you use for address if living aboard? Here is my situation: sold the house, have a six months leased apartment with the goal of being on a boat by this fall. Plan to tour Florida, ICW and maybe do the Loop. So what do I do for a mailing address? I talked with one of the post offices in a box, I can rent a box and he will send my mail when I request. Is that a good idea and/or are their better options?

Thanks
James

Most of the cruising liveaboards I know and insure uae family as a mailing address vice a service- less drama. That is our plan when we get to the point of extended cruising...

Just a PO Box doesn't work anymore. You can have a physical address and a PO Box, but you can't have a PO Box without a physical address.

My recommendation is to use a professional mail forwarding service as mentioned in the previous post. They give you the physical address and professional services. You get what you pay for. :)

We have seen many times where family members are trying to forward mail, track some bills, etc. for cruisers. For a month or so it seems to work but longer than that, things seem to fall through the cracks and then they fly home and sign up with a professional service. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Just my observation.

One of the things i love about my country is that we dont get bills in the mail very often:smitten:

Everything is automatic and electronic:socool:

think ive gotten 5 bills in the mail in the 7 years since i bought my house;)

UPS Store is great! You get a physical address, forwarding services if you need it. They can accept any kind of shipment, including truck freight, and can sign for your packages if needed. That's what I've used for years.

If you are a live aboard and you cut your ties with the dirt there are very few bills to be received/paid by mail. I write one check per month and that is for the pump out the rest is electronic. We have not had a physical address for 10+ years, if they ask I give them the post office address. :facepalm: We pay cash, debit card and/or electronically. We will probable have to use a UPS store or something like that to forward our mail when we retire.

I been reading Lee Child’s Reach series of books, who is a drifter with no processions, and the only tie is his bank account, which he zeroes out each month. Next years when we retire we are going to move the boat around and buy a motor home so we will sort of drop out/off the radar. After we sell the Eagle/motor home, we are going to be liquid, rent with only personal items that we can carry/ship. Poor us! ;):D

Technology marches on: Rather than using mail forwarding with UPS, why not try a Mail Forwarding Service. You use the address they assign you like UPS, but when mail comes in they scan it and post to your secure site.

You can then sign-on to your account, open your mail in the form of PDF documents, read, print and then they will shread. If they have checks for you, you can print and if your bank (like Bank of America), accepts pictures of checks, you can deposit to your account and have them shread the check.

Or they will forward for you.

There are many companies that do this, just google it, here is an example of one:
https://www.earthclassmail.com/?gclid=CJ_K3NjYwLcCFezm7Aod8woAZQ

..We have not had a physical address for 10+ years, if they ask I give them the post office address...

Phil: What physical address is on your drivers license? We use to be able to use Friday Harbor Marina but the DMV said no more and wanted a land physical address. Recently we changed health insurance companies and we had to send them a copy of something like a bill or drivers license that matched an address, no PO Box's allowed. Things have sure changed since 9/11.

Just a PO Box doesn't work anymore. You can have a physical address and a PO Box, but you can't have a PO Box without a physical address.

My recommendation is to use a professional mail forwarding service as mentioned in the previous post. They give you the physical address and professional services. You get what you pay for. :)

We have seen many times where family members are trying to forward mail, track some bills, etc. for cruisers. For a month or so it seems to work but longer than that, things seem to fall through the cracks and then they fly home and sign up with a professional service. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Just my observation.

Recently we opened a P.O. Box with the local Post Office. We have a box number AND can use the street address of the post office (for UPS and FedEx deliveries and others like some credit cards that need a physical address). I think it's a new service and may not be available everywhere yet. We were pleasantly surprised. I guess the post office is trying to reinvent itself.

Gina

New Federal requirement on drivers licenses may mean liveaboard boaters may do some lying/forging, etc in the future.

I called the state capital and in NJ they explained to me that basically if you live on a boat it's TS...no drivers license...you can't meet the Fed regs for proof of residency.

Phil: What physical address is on your drivers license? We use to be able to use Friday Harbor Marina but the DMV said no more and wanted a land physical address. Recently we changed health insurance companies and we had to send them a copy of something like a bill or drivers license that matched an address, no PO Box's allowed. Things have sure changed since 9/11.

The marinas address with slip number as the apt number.

One long term favorite,

Nato Mail Forwarding - Florida address - Mail Forwarding for RV ...

natomail.com/‎
Nato Mail Forwarding, Sarasota, Florida has been providng a Florida addess and mailing services to travelers and businesses all over the world for over 50 ...

Nato Mail Forwarding

Nato Mail Forwarding, Sarasota, Florida has been providng a ...

Pricing

Pricing. The fees for using NATO Mail forwarding service are as ...

Contact Us

Contact us about mail forwarding. ... Contact Information. Office ...

Info Pack

1. NATO Mail. PO Box 1418. Sarasota, Florida 34230. Toll ...

More results from natomail.com »

Thanks everyone. Great info. I hadn't even thought about driver's license and voter reg. I sincerely appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Thanks, looking forward to joining the club.

James

New Federal requirement on drivers licenses may mean liveaboard boaters may do some lying/forging, etc in the future.

I called the state capital and in NJ they explained to me that basically if you live on a boat it's TS...no drivers license...you can't meet the Fed regs for proof of residency.

This is not the case in FL....for 14 of the past 20 years I carried a CDL-A with a X endorsement (HAZMAT Tanker)....and I lived on our boat. All I had to do to prove my "residency" was to produce a copy of my slip lease in the marina and a utility bill...and I also furnished a copy of my bank statement...and my voters registration showing the marina address with my slip #....no problem. I met all of the requirements the state and the Feds required. And my requirements on residency are more stringent because of the HAZMAT endorsement...and I had to pass a Federal background check every 4 years at renewal...well, not any more as I am retired now.

I do believe the party you spoke to is wrong, or simply does not know what they were talking about.

Here's why:

If you live on a boat in a rented slip.....whats the difference between that and living in a rented house or rented apartment? In reality, NOTHING, as both are rented....one is just wetter.

This is not the case in FL....for 14 of the past 20 years I carried a CDL-A with a X endorsement (HAZMAT Tanker)....and I lived on our boat. All I had to do to prove my "residency" was to produce a copy of my slip lease in the marina and a utility bill...and I also furnished a copy of my bank statement...and my voters registration showing the marina address with my slip #....no problem. I met all of the requirements the state and the Feds required. And my requirements on residency are more stringent because of the HAZMAT endorsement...and I had to pass a Federal background check every 4 years at renewal...well, not any more as I am retired now.

I do believe the party you spoke to is wrong, or simply does not know what they were talking about.

Here's why:

If you live on a boat in a rented slip.....whats the difference between that and living in a rented house or rented apartment? In reality, NOTHING, as both are rented....one is just wetter.

It was supposed to change this year...I said the same as you and they said no dice....but you have a few items not all liveaboards might have.

It's not about the difference in lifestye...it's about proving the physical address with the right documentation. You had a utility bill and other mail to the marina address so that may have met it in the past and possibly the new requirements...me I don't have a utility bill at the marina or any other mail as the marina doesn't accept private mail as of yet (thus all I had was a post office box).

For anyone who cares...just don't assume I am wrong and others are right...or whether you can meet the requirements or not....I suggest you check with your DMV to be sure before the time comes and you are caught with your pants down as I almost was earlier this year.

Last edited:
I just renewed my drivers license in Florida. I had a copy of my slip agreement, a receipt for recent payment, Passport, and my marriage license (for women, it seems the new law wants to make sure I didn't arbitrarily change my name). I told them I lived in a marina so they added my slip # just like an apt. number.

Gina

I just renewed my drivers license in Florida. I had a copy of my slip agreement, a receipt for recent payment, Passport, and my marriage license (for women, it seems the new law wants to make sure I didn't arbitrarily change my name). I told them I lived in a marina so they added my slip # just like an apt. number.

Gina
That's good news...hopefully the people at the DMV local office will be more cooperative than the one in the NJ state capitol.:thumb:

Don't tell them you live on a boat. Just give them an address.

Also I never call as its easy for them to go by the book where as the clerk just wants to fill in the blanks and act like you know nothing and be polite with a smile.

That's good news...hopefully the people at the DMV local office will be more cooperative than the one in the NJ state capitol.:thumb:

The trick is I find down here....is never ask on the phone.....go to the office.

I used to even have my PO box on my license....but after the Patriot act was passed...I couldn't with my class of license. Funny thing...they wanted my physical address on the license, even though it was always provided...but given my job...I was only there a couple of days a month...oh duh... :rofl:

Don't tell them you live on a boat. Just give them an address.

Also I never call as its easy for them to go by the book where as the clerk just wants to fill in the blanks and act like you know nothing and be polite with a smile.

That isn't likely to work here in FL....when they put in the address...the computer tells them it is a "commercial address"....that's when you have to politely explain (usually) how there is no difference between a rented apartment and a rented slip....and have the papers to prove it.

This link below is a list of the items by type that you need in FL to get a license or renew a license..... you can see down on the lower part of the page....under #3 it allows for using boat registration if you live on your boat.
(Documented boats are registered in FL...but not titled)..

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Your FloridaCard Checklist

One issue for some is that not all areas allow liveaboard marinas...and even though the marinas often allow it...some of us don't necessarily want to upset the bee hive so using the marina as the address is a bit tricky.

What do you use for address if living aboard? Here is my situation: sold the house, have a six months leased apartment with the goal of being on a boat by this fall. Plan to tour Florida, ICW and maybe do the Loop. So what do I do for a mailing address? I talked with one of the post offices in a box, I can rent a box and he will send my mail when I request. Is that a good idea and/or are their better options?

Thanks
James

We really like St Brendan's Isle. If you wish, they will open your mail,scan the contents, and email you a picture. Also help with boat registration, drivers licenses, voter registration . You will meet lots of cruisers with a Green Cove Springs address.

To receive mail as you cruise the fwd service can send it to post offices "general Delivery , hold for Captain Chaos".

Usually simply asking at the desk will get the mail, although a few want to see ID like a drivers license .

Most PO will hold the mail for 2 -3 weeks , so if you run late , no problem.

I would strongly suggust that you be very careful here - each state has different laws regarding residency which can effect state income tax and what mailing address you use could be a problem. Each individual case and each state will reselt in a different answer. Since 9/11 it isn't quite as simple as it use to be. Don't ask me how I know !!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom