Capilano steering leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
I have a very small leak at the upper helm on my Capilno 1983 steering unit. It is from the shaft seal and I would like to keep this as simple as possible. About a year ago John Dennis sent me some great pics of a complete teardown. From the pictures I cannot tell if the shaft o ring can be removed with the front housing in place and the shaft running through it. It appears that there is a retaining washer to the outside of the seal, but I am not sure. Also, I can't tell what holds this washer in the housing. Any help out there???Steve
3469100C.jpg

Yea, you can just remove the front cover and pick it out to replace.

Thanks Keith

I had the same issue a few years back. The shaft seal is simple to replace. After talking to our local expert, I decided to also replace the front piece of the housing. His theory is that the heavy wheels that are standard equipment on most trawlers put additional downward pressure on the shaft and create a way for the fluid to leak. The part was not expensive and since I had the unit out, it made sense to replace. Hopefully it will stay tight for another 20 years.

Looking for a digital shop or parts manual for this so I could see the components.
Thanks in advance..........

rochepoint,
did you find what you wanted?* I have a Capilano file saved with info on the 250 and 275 pumps including parts if that would help.* PM me with your email if you want it and I will send it.* It is a big file so will take several emails though.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom