Boat Name Protocol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Do any of you show your name on your boat preceded by M/V or S/V?
For instance, the boats name is Serenity. Would the lettering say "Serenity" or "M/V Serenity"?

On the boat itself, no, and I don't recall seeing it on others. While I can see using M/V, S/V, F/V for radio calls, or perhaps the boat's correspondence letterhead or a web site listing, why would you need that on the stern? Anyone who can't distinguish a motor vessel from the sailing type probably isn't going to know what the acronym stands for anyway. And what would a motor-sailer use? B/V for bi-propulsional?

Tony the only place I've seen anything like that is the tender for a larger boat normally M/Y (mother vessel name). I believe that may be for registration purposes but am not certain.

No. Unnecessary: a waste.

I didn't think anyone actually had that written on the sides and stern of their boats but was just curious. The only time I see that is on commercial vessels and never saw S/V. The common ones in the Gulf of Mex are M/V and R/V (Research Vessel).

Radio protocol is entirely different. When on my sailboat, I always identified myself as "sailing Vessel XXX". This makes for a much easier recognition of who I am especially when in the middle of commercial traffic in Coastal La.
Now that I am a power jockey, I am not sure what to call myself on the radio. I don't like the word yacht even when used as 'motoryacht'. But I guess it is the most appropriate to use when mingled in with commercial traffic. Most of the time I just announce myself as a pleasure craft. In some waters, private pleasure craft are a rarity.

How do you trawler/MY guys announce yourself on the radio?

I add something like "recreational vessel" or "35-foot boat with yellow roof" if I think the boat's name is insufficient for the particular circumstances. Would never use "trawler" as it could well be confused with a fishing vessel dragging net.

When hailing bridges I call myself "Motor Vessel Bliss southbound" or north etc. Seems to be the norm around here and the tenders have never asked for clarification. So far I have only had to request vertical clearance verification and not an opening, with antenna down I clear 10' and would feel silly requesting an opening because I'm too lazy to lower an antenna.

So far I have only had to request vertical clearance verification and not an opening, with antenna down I clear 10' and would feel silly requesting an opening because I'm too lazy to lower an antenna. __________________

IN FL there was a move to photo all boats as they passed under a bridge and to ticket folks that did not need an opening.

Shot down as the "proof" that raised items could be lowered would be too hard to enforce.

I always thought that just the threat odf candid camera would save 50% of openings.

WE simply use the boats name , nothing more is required , even if you are the Esso Maru.

"Vessel" is anything used for transporting people or goods on the water. It's not for commercial only. "Motor Vessel [boat name]" is a good enough on a radio call. Usually the pros can tell you are a recreational vessel just by how you sound on the radio. I take it as a compliment when they come back to ask.

Writing "M/V" on the boat is unnecessary. Some people write "T/T" and the boat name on their dinghy, but others say that only tells the thieves ashore which boat is vacant.

I have actually had the USCG ask me if I was a motor vessel or sailing vessel.

I use MV Scoundrel's Lady

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Back
Top Bottom