Dock Remodel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theta

My mother has acquired a home on the ICW (Indian Rocks, FL) with the dock pictured below in a thinly veiled attempt to entice me to sell my house in Utah, buy a boat and start cruising. I have a few questions about getting the dock ready for the trawler I will buy. What does it take to install a shore power socket? There is power to the 2 lifts currently installed. The right side of the dock is only 7-8' feet from the property line so the boat will need to go on the left, unfortunately there is a 20,000 lb boat lift installed there the prior owner kept his 1500 HP Fountain on. How difficult would it be to get the lift removed and set the dock up so that it would work for my boat ( assume 45')? Does one have to pull permits to get a dock remodeled. Any estimates of cost? Would it be easier to just install another dock -there's another 75' of sea wall available? I'd appreciate any input.

image-3789834499.jpg

image-1692179616.jpg

image-1469696429.jpg

I cant answer your questions but I wish I had your problems lol

Your questions are all subject to local electrical and building codes and permits. Best to consult a local contractor.

Your questions are all subject to local electrical and building codes and permits. Best to consult a local contractor.
My suggestion too.

Those have all been good questions but the first one that comes to my mind is: Are you married? :flowers:

I would try to use modify what is already there. Then you may have to go thru the red tape of getting permits. It appears the vertical lift thing that the boat sat on can easily be removed. Then add cross decking. If the lift can support a boat it should support a deck.

Any try to use what is there.

In many places it is not wise to stir up the natives.

If the ArmY Corps of "engineers" gets involved the paperwork is crippling.

Just call a local dock builder , or purchase a 2 inch trash pump and jet the piles in yourself.
With a helper 3 or 4 piles per hour can be installed , it may take a bunch of asking to find lumber suitable for salt water critters.

Home Cheapo piles wont do for even a few seasons for underpinnings and deck treated 2x6 or 2x8 is fine.

"Hurricane damage" is the usual no permit reason to repair that old dock, your contractor will know.

The width of the canal must be taken into account.

In most places the width Shore to shore, is measured and 20ft or 25 ft (for a center channel) is deducted and the remainder cut in half.

Say 100 ft wide 20ft channel leaves 40 ft for the max width.

That is how far out your widest part of what ever is tied there can intrude into the canal.

Most 45 are 15 -16 wide so measure first.Find out hoe deep it is close to shore.

Then just do it , as its easier to ask for forgiveness than have to beg for a decade for permission.

Property set backs usually 7 to 10 ft will apply to the dock, but the boat can go to the property line , no problem.

If the previous owner lifted his boat it might be because the locals create 5 ft wakes that smash up tied up boats , and NO you can not create a "no wake zone" for your pleasure , tho many use stolen "Manatee Zone" signs in an attempt.

Ortona FL

Last edited:
There is cut out for a boat already? So why can't that be used?

I am currently in the market for a lift. If you would be willing to sell it I would come down and take it apart and get it gone for you.

I am currently in the market for a lift. If you would be willing to sell it I would come down and take it apart and get it gone for you.

Il keep it in mind. I'm heading down next week after they take possession of the property so il have a better feel for what their plans are.

In many places it is not wise to stir up the natives.

If the ArmY Corps of "engineers" gets involved the paperwork is crippling.

Just call a local dock builder , or purchase a 2 inch trash pump and jet the piles in yourself.
With a helper 3 or 4 piles per hour can be installed , it may take a bunch of asking to find lumber suitable for salt water critters.

Home Cheapo piles wont do for even a few seasons for underpinnings and deck treated 2x6 or 2x8 is fine.

"Hurricane damage" is the usual no permit reason to repair that old dock, your contractor will know.

The width of the canal must be taken into account.

In most places the width Shore to shore, is measured and 20ft or 25 ft (for a center channel) is deducted and the remainder cut in half.

Say 100 ft wide 20ft channel leaves 40 ft for the max width.

That is how far out your widest part of what ever is tied there can intrude into the canal.

Most 45 are 15 -16 wide so measure first.Find out hoe deep it is close to shore.

Then just do it , as its easier to ask for forgiveness than have to beg for a decade for permission.

Property set backs usually 7 to 10 ft will apply to the dock, but the boat can go to the property line , no problem.

If the previous owner lifted his boat it might be because the locals create 5 ft wakes that smash up tied up boats , and NO you can not create a "no wake zone" for your pleasure , tho many use stolen "Manatee Zone" signs in an attempt.

Ortona FL

We think alike. Lots of great info there, thanks. What is a "trash pump" and do you have any links that describe the procedure of piling installation? Don't want to try it myself, well actually I do, but I know I don't have the needed experience.

We think alike. Lots of great info there, thanks. What is a "trash pump" and do you have any links that describe the procedure of piling installation? Don't want to try it myself, well actually I do, but I know I don't have the needed experience.

When my marina needed a couple piles for a small project they simply used 4" galvanized pipe. Added a 4" X 3/8" bushing and a 3/8" air fitting on one end, stood them upright and turned on the air compressor and 5 minutes later each the deed was done. The weight of the pipe and a little help from the air blowing down it did all the work for them.

NorthStar Semi-Trash Pump — 2in. Ports, 10,010 GPH, 5/8in. Solids Capacity, 160cc Honda GX160 Engine | Semi-Trash| Northern Tool + Equipment

The above link is for a 2" trash pump. I suspect I know but would be interested to hear the procedure for setting a piling with one.

I have seen it done years ago in NC. The pump part was, in effect, a long fairly thin nozzle. The piling was placed upright and the nozzle run down beside it. As the nozzle blasts the mud out, the piling sinks into the hole. I don't recall if they did anything to force mud back into the hole or if it just happened on its own. It looked like they were getting the piling 5-6' deep in the mud.

I own waterfront property in FL, and my advice is to contact your local city or county Code Enforcement and ask them what you can and can’t do with or without a permit.

To begin with, waterfront property navigable to the sea in FL is valuable and expensive, and you will have neighbors. Every neighbor will have a vested interest in seeing that you do not undertake any actions that will adversely reduce the value of their property, in their view. The day that you start work without a city or county, and sometimes both, permit is the day they will contact Code Enforcement.

In addition, Code Enforcement patrols the waterways in their own boats looking for work being done without a permit as does local law enforcement. Of course the FWC water police are everywhere.

I had to get a permit to patch a few holes in my concrete seawall. After 2 weeks of back and forth with Code Enforcement I gave up and hired a contractor. He got the needed permits within a hour, and got a inspection visit arranged for that afternoon so he could close the job out in one day.

A trash pump is a 2 inch waterpump that can pass small debris, usually gas powered. It’s used to blast a hole in the sandy mud bottom so you can stick in a piling.

Search for the term “jetting in pilings” and you should see how to do it.

Mike

I should have added in my previous post that if you do contact your local Code Enforcement do so by voice/telephone or in person.

Any written comms - email, web site forms, snail mail or fax are considered public records and are available to anyone.

Even to the nosey neighbor from the NE who has nothing better to do than screw with you. Been there, gone thru that.

Welcome to FLA.

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom