What Kind of Flare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I was doing a class on flares for our club when a guy had this flare. We have no idea what kind of flare this is?

Attachments

• DSCN3116 flare.jpg
    DSCN3116 flare.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 218
  • rsz_dscn3216 tube.jpg
    rsz_dscn3216 tube.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 112
  • rsz_dscn3217 flare end.jpg
    rsz_dscn3217 flare end.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 133
Those are fine for a lake , but if you wish to be seen the 37MM is the answer.

Those are fine for a lake , but if you wish to be seen the 37MM is the answer.

I've shot just about all flares available to the recreational market, and a few that came from military facilities. I've also been involved in SAR cases looking for flares.

If you're going to be more than a couple of miles off shore, you want flares with the SOLAS designation. SOLAS is the international Safety Of Life At Sea standard. The little 4-pack of recreational flares that meet the minimum USCG standards are worthless more than a mile or two away, and only burn for a few moments. Those SOLAS flares burn much longer and brighter, and go much higher.

My recommendation, since they all expire after about 3 years, is buy one SOLAS flare in each of the the "off" years in between buying the pack to keep you legal. After you've got a good supply of parachutes, consider some SOLAS smoke or dye units for great daytime visibility.

Thanks everyone. Does this need a special gun to shoot?

I just gave about ten of those to the local USCG Auxiliary. They all had dates in the mid to late 80's. I've had them kicking around since the last boat. The folks I gave them to did not recognize them either.

So it fits in a flare gun with the end sticking out and fire it off like any other flare?

I have a 25mm flare gun, with an insert for the smaller flares as well. The 25mm is a metal gun as opposed to the plastic ones that come in the flare kits. There is also an insert that fits a 12 ga shell, although I'm not sure I'd want to fire it, since the gun is a pot metal casting.

I have a 25mm flare gun, with an insert for the smaller flares as well. The 25mm is a metal gun as opposed to the plastic ones that come in the flare kits. There is also an insert that fits a 12 ga shell, although I'm not sure I'd want to fire it, since the gun is a pot metal casting.

The insert is for 12 gauge flares NOT shotgun shells, do not fire shotgun shells out of a flare gun (esp if I'm nearby).

Can I use 12 gauge flair in the 12 shotgun?

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I would say yes (why?) but you should clean it right away as the gunk from flares is corrosive.

I just visited the Orion Signals website and was surprised to learn they no longer make 25 mm Parachute Flares. I guess if you want a parachute flare these days you have to buy the SOLAS approved rockets.

472.jpg

In Europe, all flares are hand held. When fired, they get really hot as you can imagine, so on Play d'eau we carry heat proof gloves in the flare box.

A couple of years ago, some EU countries started fining boaters if they had out of date flares on board...made you wonder if that country had shares in the local flare making company....

Once I saw a demo of SOLAS flares vs. regular 12 gage, I always have SOLAS on board. Handheld and parachute. However, because they are so expensive, I keep the 12 g up to date to meet USCG requirements. I only replace the SOLAS at about twice their stated lifespan. They have always worked at the end of that time period.

Once I saw a demo of SOLAS flares vs. regular 12 gage, I always have SOLAS on board. Handheld and parachute. However, because they are so expensive, I keep the 12 g up to date to meet USCG requirements. I only replace the SOLAS at about twice their stated lifespan. They have always worked at the end of that time period.

We always kept our out of date flares as back-ups. That's until boaters began to be fined when visiting Europe. A great deal of flares were quickly sent for disposal....

Can I use 12 gauge flair in the 12 shotgun?

Yes but not the reverse.

A flair shell is shorter than a std 12G so a shotgun shell will be too long to close a flair gun.

When sailing in the Carib we machined out flair guns to fit a std shell.

Then a "popper" dog training blank was set with a pull if you opened the sliding hatch.

I figgured on the ex Brit islands ( fire arms illegal) if broken into the unit would be one of the first items stolen.

If used with a real shotgun shell it would identify the thief , "Stumpy".The fellow with the missing fingers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom