Thoughts makes/models for a family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Economy a must. We use our boats when we have them. I don't want to think that ever time I want to enjoy the boat for a few hours that I have to spend a large sum of money to do so. Diesel.

If you will be enjoying the boat for hours , not long distance 24/7 cruised DIESEL is the wrong answer as far as economy.

Diesel is required for thousands of hours a year , but hardly for 100 or 200 as most boats do per year.

Look at the cost difference in purchase , cost of PM , cost of a repair , or cost GASP!! of a replacement engine and gas wins every time.

SPEED costs big bucks , trawler crawling is fuel efficient , regardless of the fuel.

Agreed. My wife and I enjoy boating and require a lot of our boat. From a week day trip just to the bay for some crabbing, weekends away, to weeks away from home. In the summer we're looking at almost two months at a time. This next year 2014 I'd like to do the inner coastal.

How about a Grand Banks 32'? Handsome. Sedan layout with saloon opening to aft deck. Single screw.

Five are on Yacht World in the PNW in your budget.

How about my Tollycraft 30 Sedan with 12' beam and twin 150 hp Hino diesels. 2.5 to 3 gph at 7 - 8 knots (1,300 rpm).

Great use of space on the Tolly, buy want just a bit more room. More of a traditional layout with a lower and upper helm is a must. I am looking into the GB 32 but I hesitate on the teak decks knowing most of the vintage I am looking at they may and probably need attention.

Actually, there are many older GB32s with acceptable teak decks (decks that do not leak). Of course, due diligence iis in order. There is a 1973 GB36 at Squalicum with good teak decks. The key is upkeep. Most of the upkeep is replacing bungs when needed (not a tough job) and every so often redoing some of the sealant (again not a tough job). Other than that just let them weather without rough scrubbing or sanding.

Note that I'm biased toward the GBs!

Folks usually shy away from the thought of teak decks. The best teak deck is one that is ignored with the exception of seams and bung maintenance. Both chores are easy and actually enjoyable with a beer in one hand. Just one of those marine myths, I suppose. Where teak decks become a hassle is when the owner requires a honey color and detests natural gray. I have learned to love gray!

Proper all-around-the-boat railings are critical for peace-of-mind when there are children aboard.

232323232%7Ffp54379%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D394%3B%3C6728%3B336nu0mrj

As well as for the master.

img_159208_1_496b7661db53de73e44ca7c3b4730a6e.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed,
It's just reading the horror stories about the teak decks and how previous owners have not up kept them. I am not looking to purchase a new boat and having the added expense of ripping out a bad deck or re doing it to glass because of a lack of maintenance.
The wife and I really do like the Island Gypsys and GB 32. We really want the Swiss Army Knife of the boating life there in Bellingham, day, night, weekend and cruiser for vacations. With one child and the two of us it seems to be a good pick. Something in that size range. I'd be open to anything though up to 35/36ish but would want to make sure the marina there in Bellingham can take us. I don't want to end up on a waiting list for years and have to travel up to Blaine. It just doesn't sound like as much fun when Bellingham marina will only be about ten minutes from our new home. My wife could call in the afternoon and ask for crab and my son and I could head out soak some pots and be back for a dockside boil.
So we have scaled back a bit, started looking at a bit smaller boat and have decided a solid 32 to 36ish would fit the family well!

We really want the Swiss Army Knife

You should look at a Prairie 29. It's on the very short list of boats we would consider replacing our Owens with. A whole lot of boat in a compact package. John Baker of this forum lived on one for a while quite comfortably.

Right now the list is,
GB 32, IG 32, Californian 34. We really like the two stateroom layout, also they seem to be a bit closer to our revised budget of 40-50k. We will be in a position to purchase just after July 1. Of course if the right boat presents itself before so be it. I'd rather have a single screw. Anyone know of a single screw two state vessel under 35'??

The GB32 is a single stateroom boat (V-birth with adjacent head and hanging closet). I'm not aware of any two stateroom configurations.

Well good morning,
I thought I would start another thread. I am looking for a bit of advise and help in selecting our next vessel. My wife and I are starting the process so bare with me please. Some of the requirements I have come up with,
Economy a must. We use our boats when we have them. I don't want to think that ever time I want to enjoy the boat for a few hours that I have to spend a large sum of money to do so. Diesel. I am not hung up on one or two engines. I would prefer one but am open to both.
At least one head and shower
One main berth and another for our son so a small berth or bunk would be fine
No teak decks, I have read the horror stories and would like to avoid this at all cost.
We usually cruise at displacement speed so fast or slow is ok with us. In fact I'd prefer a boat that was made for economy over speed, we can always buy a lake boat for speed.
Safe - the whole family is going to be aboard.
Fly bridge is a plus but I'd be willing to consider without for the right boat.
A year round vessel, I don't like winterizing because some of the best boating can be done in the winter.
Our budget needs to be under 100k, would prefer to be closer to 50k. I don't mind a bit of work but would like a solid boat, mechanically sound and ready to enjoy. Light sanding/varnishing the rails and what not wouldn't scare me, but major work no thanks as I'd rather enjoy using the boat as opposed to "working" on the boat. I am more of a maintain the boat guy than a fix it guy.

Too bad you're on the left coast .... Trendsetter 40 for sale

Back
Top Bottom