Vero Beach,FL, to New Bern,NC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm soon to be a new owner of an American Tug 34. I plan on moving the boat from Vero Beach,Fl, to New Bern,NC, in early August. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding an itinerary. All new to me. I am aware that the afternoon thunderstorms are a given and travel should start early and end early afternoon.
My wife and I are excited! Thanks for any suggestions.

Join www.activecaptain.com its free and full of info on shoals, marinas and fuel. The little American Tug is a good boat and you shouldn't have too many issues just remember dont be on a set schedule and adjust for weather and tides as necessary.

Good luck

You moving there for good? What marina?

I live in the central part of NC. I will probably keep the boat in New Bern at the "Grand Marina" @ the Doubletree Hotel during the summer months and @ Grand Harbor, Vero Beach, during the winter.

We used Active Captain extensively, as well as Managing the Waterway;ICW by Mark & Diana Doyle. SE Cruisers net w/Claiborne Young is also handy. Above all, take your time; drop any idea of sticking to a schedule, watch the weather & enjoy the adventure. Have a blast!

Cumberland Sound

We just traveled from Ft. Pierce to Brunswick. The Cumberland Sound area was confusing so pay attention there.
There is shoaling in several places. I agree with the others, Active Captain is a good resource.
Patsy

Patsy: Thanks! We're in no hurry. We will definately be careful. I just registered with Active Captain! Rick

Have fun on the trip. I hope you have lots of time so you don't have to rush. We just bought my husband's boat May 15. We're going to finish the last leg of our "moving the boat north", all the way to Hilton Head, in a couple of weeks.
The Cumberland sound is marked poorly. We had a nice couple in a small power boat slow down and start waving frantically at us and shouting to get in the middle of the channel! Guess we were about to get into some trouble. We thought we were in the channel! :eek: Anyway, it was uneventful for us but definitely required all our attention for a little while.
Enjoy your travels!

We are in Grand Harbor year round, you will really like it here, new Publix 9/10 of a mile just opened yesterday. If you need anything let me know, I have lived in VB for 13+ years.

@ dock A space 37 (currently on the hard getting bottom painted in Ft. Peirce)

Thank you! We have family living in Grand Harbor (now). They have been living in VRB since 1986. I'll be in touch.

Rick:

I have done that trip 3-4 times. You can anchor out or stay at marinas or a combination. Here are the stops (well not all, just the ones I can remember) that I made heading north the last time.

Titusville- Anchor in front of the Municipal Marina

Daytona Beach- Drop your anchor in wide, deep spot just off the ICW

St Augustine- The old anchorage area is now a mooring field. Pick one up

Cumberland Island- Anchor across from the NPS dock and dinghy dock. I spent a few days biking through the park. seeing the ruined mansion, the wild horses and secluded dunes and beach.

Georgia- Other than Cumberland Island, I hate Georgia. Mostly desolate marsh grass and zig zagging back and forth. If the weather is right, go outside at Brunswick and reenter at Callibogue Sound S of HH.

Hilton Head- Anchor in Broad Creek but it is pretty packed with moored boats. N of Skull Creek marina is another anchorage but I haven't used it.

Beaufort, SC- Anchor just south of the City Marina. Use the large dinghy dock and go ashore for great walking through the historical district plus decent restaurants (or dock your Tug along side for the day, but you must move it at night)

Charleston, SC- Just west of the city before the bridge is a little oxbow that can accomodate 2-3 boats. But if you are going to stay at a marina anywhere, this is the place so you can check out the city.

Georgetown- Anchor or ask a local if there is a free mooring available.

Barefoot Landing- It is kitchy but I always stop at this little marina along side the ICW in Myrtle Beach, wander the shops and have dinner at one of the theme restaurants.

Mile Hammock Bay- A Marine Corps facility but boaters are (mostly) welcome to anchor but not go ashore

Swansboro- An alternative if MHB is closed

Wrightsville Beach- The anchorage is about a half mile E of the ICW, and is open to the south, but has great facilities accessable from the dinghy dock in the NE corner.

Beaufort, NC- Taylor Creek is full of moorings, so go N through the lift bridge and anchor in Town Creek south of the airport.

Oriental, NC- Snag one of the two Town Dock spots (someday we will have more free town dockage if the politics can be settled) or anchor behind the breakwater before the marina.

And you are home.

It is a great trip that can be done in a couple of weeks or take another week and smell the roses along the way.

David

Last edited:
The Cumberland sound is marked poorly. We had a nice couple in a small power boat slow down and start waving frantically at us and shouting to get in the middle of the channel! Guess we were about to get into some trouble. We thought we were in the channel!

Being in the channel should be a guarantee. Unfortunately, however, it is not always true. I've run aground before while in the channel (sailboat). Middle is generally better if the traffic will allow it. Also, as all of us know, and some us sometimes forget, a brisk beam wind can edge you further over than you realize. The channel looks good ahead of you, but if you look back you are not in it! :)

Being in the channel should be a guarantee. Unfortunately, however, it is not always true. I've run aground before while in the channel (sailboat). Middle is generally better if the traffic will allow it. Also, as all of us know, and some us sometimes forget, a brisk beam wind can edge you further over than you realize. The channel looks good ahead of you, but if you look back you are not in it! :)

So true. Running the ICW takes nearly as much looking behind as ahead. You can be out of the channel and still headed between the next markers. Many times there is a range behind. Definitely be looking it back at those. They are there for a reason.

By the way, I have just seen reports of bad shoaling at the north end of Field Cut from the Savannah River to Hilton Head. If you are going that way, stay close to the reds at the north end. There have been some groundings there inside the green.

So true. Running the ICW takes nearly as much looking behind as ahead. You can be out of the channel and still headed between the next markers. Many times there is a range behind. Definitely be looking it back at those. They are there for a reason.

By the way, I have just seen reports of bad shoaling at the north end of Field Cut from the Savannah River to Hilton Head. If you are going that way, stay close to the reds at the north end. There have been some groundings there inside the green.

+1 ^^^

Hey Don, I walked by your boat today, my wife and I were working on Firefly (she's in Cracker Boy on the hard getting a fresh bottom) and went over to the bar for a cold one and for a bit of a dock walk. Seems you will need a new dingy cover soon but boat looks great.

S

+1 ^^^

Hey Don, I walked by your boat today, my wife and I were working on Firefly (she's in Cracker Boy on the hard getting a fresh bottom) and went over to the bar for a cold one and for a bit of a dock walk. Seems you will need a new dingy cover soon but boat looks great.

S

:blush::eek::DYeah the dinghy cover is pretty ragged. As you could see I put it over the bottom of the dinghy for afternoon sun protection. That's why the transom cover is on as well as the Palm Beach cover over the cockpit. I may put a new dinghy cover on this week. I've just grown attached to the old one.

We may have been on the boat. I wish you would have knocked. I may see Firefly Tuesday. I think I will go up to Cracker Boy's for a haulout, bottom job, and hull polishing.

Maybe we will cross paths down here one day.

Edit: Just inspected my dinghy cover. I think it can be repaired with more duct tape. Does anyone know where I can get 2' wide duct tape?:)

Last edited:
Great advice

Wow, I know all of us newbies appreciate all this great advice. :thumb: The only thing I'd add since we just passed this way is that the Titusville Marina now has a nice mooring field too.
Rick:

I have done that trip 3-4 times. You can anchor out or stay at marinas or a combination. Here are the stops (well not all, just the ones I can remember) that I made heading north the last time.

Titusville- Anchor in front of the Municipal Marina

Daytona Beach- Drop your anchor in wide, deep spot just off the ICW

St Augustine- The old anchorage area is now a mooring field. Pick one up

Cumberland Island- Anchor across from the NPS dock and dinghy dock. I spent a few days biking through the park. seeing the ruined mansion, the wild horses and secluded dunes and beach.

Georgia- Other than Cumberland Island, I hate Georgia. Mostly desolate marsh grass and zig zagging back and forth. If the weather is right, go outside at Brunswick and reenter at Callibogue Sound S of HH.

Hilton Head- Anchor in Broad Creek but it is pretty packed with moored boats. N of Skull Creek marina is another anchorage but I haven't used it.

Beaufort, SC- Anchor just south of the City Marina. Use the large dinghy dock and go ashore for great walking through the historical district plus decent restaurants (or dock your Tug along side for the day, but you must move it at night)

Charleston, SC- Just west of the city before the bridge is a little oxbow that can accomodate 2-3 boats. But if you are going to stay at a marina anywhere, this is the place so you can check out the city.

Georgetown- Anchor or ask a local if there is a free mooring available.

Barefoot Landing- It is kitchy but I always stop at this little marina along side the ICW in Myrtle Beach, wander the shops and have dinner at one of the theme restaurants.

Mile Hammock Bay- A Marine Corps facility but boaters are (mostly) welcome to anchor but not go ashore

Swansboro- An alternative if MHB is closed

Wrightsville Beach- The anchorage is about a half mile E of the ICW, and is open to the south, but has great facilities accessable from the dinghy dock in the NE corner.

Beaufort, NC- Taylor Creek is full of moorings, so go N through the lift bridge and anchor in Town Creek south of the airport.

Oriental, NC- Snag one of the two Town Dock spots (someday we will have more free town dockage if the politics can be settled) or anchor behind the breakwater before the marina.

And you are home.

It is a great trip that can be done in a couple of weeks or take another week and smell the roses along the way.

David

Back
Top Bottom