Steps for boarding from dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
We have a thread going on boarding the swim platform from the water.
I'd like to know what people are using to board the boat from the dock. Our caprail is usually a couple of feet above the dock. We are now using a folding Rubbermaid set of steps (see link below) they have not been bad, but are getting sunbaked and need replacing, I'm curious what others are doing. At the home dock we have a set of fixed wooden steps.
Rubbermaid Commercial 420903CYLND - Two-Step Folding Plastic Step Stool, 300-lb. Duty Rating, Dark Gray

Last edited:
I believe I should have posted this thread in General Discussion can one of the Mods. move it there?
Thanks

We use the three-step thingy from West Marine. However, one of my future projects will be similar to the ladder pictured below. I have the bronze hardware ready to go.

Attachments

• ladder_1402_529.jpg
    ladder_1402_529.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 249
I believe I should have posted this thread in General Discussion can one of the Mods. move it there?
Thanks

Done.

We use 2 folding step stools, 1 inside the boat and 1 on the dock for boarding. $9 each at Home Depot. They fold flat when not in use.

I designed one similar in size that does not fold that will incorporate LED lights and our boat name painted to match the boat. Once done I will post pictures.

Attachments

• image-1981193087.jpg
    image-1981193087.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1392278767.jpg
    image-1392278767.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
This is the one we use, at home dock and light enough to take along. WAY cheaper than equivalent from West Marine; I think I paid $20 or so at Ace Hardware. We like that it's flat on one side so it's easier to place that side toward the boat. The one thing I did was add some better rubber feet to keep it from skidding.

Two-step Step Stool | Rubbermaid

I use this one and it's very easy to transport. :blush:

Attachments

• Swim step.jpg
    Swim step.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 154
We use the three-step thingy from West Marine. However, one of my future projects will be similar to the ladder pictured below. I have the bronze hardware ready to go.

Ray, I believe the proposed ladder is a better/safer, more elegant improvement over your current "staircase" thingy:

img_158907_0_551fb74c7bebebac7fe0624074f15cdb.jpg

Last edited:
With the deck near dock level, "we don't need no stinkin' steps." Just step over the gunwale.

img_158909_0_fad3b1b3e9c848ed110c24893c9a6bed.jpg

Without a transom door, I have to board over the side onto the side deck. I can just swing a leg over and, with the proper dock height, step aboard but some folks find that awkward. I have a set of wooden steps for my home dock. I picked up one of these at the Delta Loop Fest with Cpseudonym a few weeks ago. I think I beat him to the punch.

It folds flat for storage under the flybridge ladder. I used it for the first time this week with a tether to the spring cleat. Works well.

41LNpuRj17L._SX385_.jpg

Last edited:
Al, that step (in a different color) certainly made it easier for us all to skoodle onto FlyWright.

Then it was the best $2 I spent at the Delta Loop Fest. :thumb:

I picked up one of these at the Delta Loop Fest with Cpseudonym a few weeks ago. I think I beat him to the punch.

That's ok Al. According to the admiral I needed two, so a matching pair was sourced from Home Depot as per my above post. They match the boat amazingly well too.

We may revisit that heater though :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom