Long lasting gas engines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is nothing quite like an older wooden boat with a hardtop. The new running gear just makes it sweeter. Running it like a trawler makes it cheaper and longer lasting.

Craig and MVNP...

Having worked with shipwrights, mechanics and also accomplishing general duties in boat yards for years on LI and then Penobscot Bay Maine as a youngster in 1960's into early 70's; basically born on boats working with dad on em from very young in the 50's... I truly appreciate their now antique and classic boat design lines, layout, construction techniques, and sea keeping capabilities. Fiberglass was barely a glimmer on the mfg scene when I already had sea legs. You two's fine Owens and Tollycraft are prime examples of the type craft I was indoctrinated on. 1st boat my family cruised was 17' cabined o/b with 25 hp gull wing Johnson. We'd go fishing all over LI's south beach inland waters and even went out Short Beach Inlet into the Atlantic on real calm days for some "sea" fishing - lol. By late 50's we had an i/b cabin cruiser... she was 1948 23' Chris Craft Express single screw 115 hp straight 6 Chrysler Crown raw water cooled engine w/ head and galley as well as small dining table in cabin and V berth at bow... retractable soft canvas top, good sized cockpit and front deck for sunnen the over cabin. Parents and we three young boys cruised on her for years. More boats thereafter as we boys grew with dad's favorite culminating with a keel-laid in 1950 custom built at Brooklyn Navy Yard by and for their master shipwright, 38', raised deck, fly bridge, single diesel sport fisher beauty that he and I refinished in early 60's and was used into late 70’s.

The well equipped, completely fiberglass, long duration live aboard cruiser and simply delightful (to us) 1977 34' Tolly tri cabin twin my admiral and I (as well as others in our family) now love to use and play with is basically "new-age" to me regarding the back-when 20th Century decades that I was constantly around wood boats in yards, on inland salt waters, and eventually all over the coastal waters of New England.

Classic boats! Gotta Luv EM. And, yes, Craig... We always say hello to our Tolly upon arriving as well as looking back several times as we depart to assure her we'll be with her again! Boats do have and own a soul - their owner’s that is! LOL :D

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 104
Yep, the classic lines of many of the older boats are much more pleasing to me than the new breed of "tennis shoe" boats. Yesterday while eating dinner at a favorite restaurant on Clear Lake I saw a beauty coming in from the bay. I was about a 40 footer. Downeast style express, dark blue hull, very well kept and sounded like a nice big diesel. Nice rumble but not loud. All heads turned to watch it go by. Shortly afterward a "tennis shoe" about the same size came by and no one even looked. Back to gasoline engines, careful maintainance and remembering to vent the engine compartment go a long way to making these boats safer. Most of the trawlers I've seen have propane for the galley. The same venting needs to take place on diesel boats for this reason. I don't know if those of you with diesels have had much problem with this, but a friends sailboat has a Perkins M-30 and the lift pump has failed twice in 2 years. This is an engine mounted pump and usually takes a couple of weeks or more to get even here in the Houston area. Most of the gassers I've owned were very easy to get parts for.

The aku boats I filmed on in Hawaii a few times all had a single 6-71 for power but they ran the dry exhaust through a huge muffler. So on deck the sound of the engine was just a distant rumble.

For folks contemplating a dry stack engine , gas or diesel , the trick is to Google exhaust systems with the words "hospital critical" sure thre not cheap m and sure there heavy , but what price the sound of silence?

For low power gas engines the flat 4 Subaru (say under 60 hp cruise ) would be an ideal choice.

The home made aircraft folks find them very reliable , and the side to side shake (like a BMW) might make the cruise smoother as its hard to move a hull sideways , but easy for a 4 banger to bounce up and down in its rubber mounts.

FF wrote;

"For low power gas engines the flat 4 Subaru (say under 60 hp cruise ) would be an ideal choice.

The home made aircraft folks find them very reliable , and the side to side shake (like a BMW) might make the cruise smoother as its hard to move a hull sideways , but easy for a 4 banger to bounce up and down in its rubber mounts."

Bad idea Fred. (opinion). How would you like to service exhaust manifolds UNDER the engine. And they are wide. And I don't think the're smooth. The old VW air cooled flat 4s were smooth but I've driven several Subaru's and think most in-line 4s are smoother.

The 3 cyl Suzuki or most other in-line 4s would be a better choice.

A dry stack exhaust on an inline six, say, Ford, Chev or mopar slant 6 would sound sweet if well muffled. Almost as nice a a V-8. I've never liked the flat exhaust note of a boxer engine except the boxer 6 ala Porche.

Kevin

A 3 cylinder (or multiple of 3) is always a smooth choice but the vibration not from up and down might make the flat engine work.

The engine is so tiny that the exhaust would probably be under 2 inches per side , not a big deal to insulate and route out.

Gassers don't suffer under loading death as diesels can , so an outsized engine , of 3 cylinders or even a small V 6 should crank 30-60 hp for a very long time.

Wow, I was just cruising some old threads when I ran into this one. Because, like others, I just may want to review some discussions regarding gas vs diesel. We are selling our diesel powered sailboat and moving to a "trawler" (whatever that is). Grand Banks are one of the considerations, but, after reading some of the posts by Marin I might cross GB off my list. I certainly don't want to be involved with a bunch of GB owners with his views or attitude. "A boat like mine" seems to be one of his favorite phrases. Like maybe a boat like his is something to be in awe of.

Wow, I was just cruising some old threads when I ran into this one. Because, like others, I just may want to review some discussions regarding gas vs diesel. We are selling our diesel powered sailboat and moving to a "trawler" (whatever that is). Grand Banks are one of the considerations, but, after reading some of the posts by Marin I might cross GB off my list. I certainly don't want to be involved with a bunch of GB owners with his views or attitude. "A boat like mine" seems to be one of his favorite phrases. Like maybe a boat like his is something to be in awe of.

As a former GB owner I saw no issue.. Don't take anything Marin said and think that that is the way that GB Owners think.. it was his opinion only. But I do think that GB owners do think highly of their boats and do take care of them.. and they are really beautiful.

I think GB had a big hand in making trawlers mainstream.
HOLLYWOOD

Well, you posed and answered the question right there in the most sensible way I've seen yet here.

There IS nothing wrong with gas as a marine powerplant as long as you define what it's good for. Which is, as you say, smaller boats. Or cheaper boats or mass market boats. Gas engines are a really cheap way to power a boat, which means you can bring that boat to market for a whole lot less than you can a boat powered with diesels. The classic albeit overused example of this is Bayliner. The fact gas engines have relatively short lives compared to a diesel is fairly irrelevant for this market because the kinds of boats they're in don't get used all that much, relatively speaking. And if the boat is designed so the engines are under a cockpit where they can be easily swapped out, so much the better.

When you start talking about bigger, heavier boats, boats that represent a considerable investment and so will hopefully have a long life-- 30, 40, or more years---, or boats that are going to run long distances or short distances a whole lot of times for a whole lot of years, then diesels are the best choice, which is why that end of the market--- and the commercial market--- uses diesels virtually exclusively. They woudn't do this if it didn't make economic sense to the buyers and operators.

So both types of engines have their place. But what's being claimed by some here is that gas engines are an ideal powerplant for the upper half of the market. Which, despite their cheap initial cost and cheap replacement cost, does not hold true in my opinon. If it was, Grand Banks and Nordhavn and Fleming and the commercial lobsterboat guys and so on would all be using gas engines.

Engines, other than outboards, are not plug and play devices. Getting the engines in and out of a boat like ours, for example-- or a commercial fishboat---- is a major proposition. Doesn't matter how cheap the engine itself is, the effort to take the old ones out, put the new ones in, and then fix all the stuff you had to take apart or break to get the engines out and in is considerable and expensive. For a boat with an anticipated service life of 30, 40, 50 years or more, it makes no sense to have to undergo that process every few years depending on how much the boat is used.

It makes much more sense with a boat like ours to put one or two engines in the thing when it's built that have a good chance of lasting the life of the boat assuming proper operation and servicing. And the only way to accomplish that is by using a diesel. Which is why companies like American Diesel and Kong and Halverson and others started doing just that back in the 60s and early 70s.

The two different categories of boats are very much apples and oranges, and so need apples and oranges powerplants to make economic sense. Smaller, simpler boat, want to appeal to as large a recreational market as possible, wouldn't make sense to stick anything other than a cheap gas engine in it. Bigger boat, major investment, more complex design, needs to be really cost-effective in the case of a commercial application, it doesn't make sense to stick anything other than a diesel in it.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Any chance at all that you could be just a little more pompous?

to Barpilot:
Marin retired from this forum I believe. I am sure that there are many personality types amongst GB owners. Treat it as a buffet and take what you like. I also suggest the same for this forum :)

Last edited:
Marin is a very smart guy with lots of hands on experience in many fields. He is one of those guys that can walk the talk and his attitude bothers me not one bit. His special gifts are missed on TF IMHO and not been replaced.

Any chance at all that you could be just a little more pompous?

Bp - Pompous may be an understatement for Marin. Very intelligent is too; as is self righteous, sometimes viciously critical of others, and even insightful to the future... these terms and others also could well fit Marin. He and I, as well as he with several TF members, had a fair share of heated post-to-post go-rounds! To some on TF Marin was a virtual Demigod... to others not at all... and, to a few he was simply a BIG PIA. That said, he did post some good stuff, along with some bad. He split from TF when he hit 10,000 posts; then wandered in/out for a while. Guess he still occasionally trolls TF... I haven't noticed him post for a year +/-. Don't be too hard on the ol' boater - We all have our failings! Some members basically pleaded with him to not leave TF (I’m sure he loved that! – LOL). Others said good riddance. I wished him good bye! Marin isn’t really a bad person, just a bit misdirected on a few important counts... but, aren’t most of us all??? :facepalm:

Regarding life cycle of gasoline engines / diesel engines: IMO: Life of any motor rests strongly on owner care, maintenance and use schedules/techniques. Engine longevity also is related to builder's design methods, engine model & HP, where manufactured, number of years age... and, many other factors. :popcorn:

All in all, due to product price differences, maintenance costs, and volumes of fuel use differences; diesel - vs - gas engines end up costing just about the same in the long run. There are multitudes of reasons for enjoying one over the other... in boats up to 45' that is. Bigger than that size boat; I believe diesel power far out performs gasoline power due to torque and sheer HP sizes available. You don't hear of gas engines much over 1K HP max. Diesels can be made that go into high fours, five or even six digit numbers of HP. Search archives and you will locate some really heavy-duty thread-discussions for Gas-vs-Diesel. :hide:

As to what defines a “Trawler” boat: My take on it – If it floats, is propelled primarily by props (can have mast and sail too), is self contained, can travel fair distances, it’s Ok to stay away from dock for a while, and it has a fair share of sea keeping capabilities – the word “Trawler” could be affixed to it... irrespective of hull design, sizes, layouts, power sources to the props... and other “oh really” items. If asked I prefer to think of our Tolly as a Power Boat Pleasure Cruiser! To some I like to respond: Why it’s a “Thcay”, silly! Finest type of boats in the world. They usually blink twice and simply whisper “OH”... If they’re real nice I let them know it’s yacht spelled backwards. So far – only one got that on their own – lol. :ermm:

TF Members: If you desire, please write your congress person regarding my simple definition of a Trawler... cause they could care less what really defines a Trawler – just like ME! :thumb:

Happy Trawler Daze! - Art :socool:

Last edited:
I found Marin to have well thought-out opinions which he expressed clearly and courteously. If he tended to like himself or his boat a little to much, that is not the greatest sin in the world. IMHO his decision to withdraw from Trawler Forum was our loss.

Back
Top Bottom