Hard dinghy stand off and tilt up method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I rigged weaver snap davits to the swim step and Fatty and I am quite happy with the results. So far I have run a line tied to the swim step under the fatty and pulled her up and then tied the line to a clean on the stern however I want a more permanent solution.

I put two 6" pieces of foam water pipe insulation on the stern swim ladder to the sun deck for the fatty to rest against.

Walking around Westmarine I found a metal loop with a flat base that I am thinking about mounting to the outside rail of the Fatty so that I could clip a line to it and pull her up.

Anything wrong with my thinking? Is there a better way?

Not a great picture but it is all I have of the install.

Attachments

• IMG_4316.jpg
    IMG_4316.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 168
What is that pole thing sticking up? Where does the motor go?

Tom, I don't know what I was thinking! I thought it would be fun for my kid when we anchor out.

We were in Moss Landing...there is no reason to ever go to Moss Landing....for a big race party and it was windy as all hell. Small craft, 25 kt winds and I decide to go sailing. I haven't really sailed since high school but I'm sailing around the harbor and I'm going fast. I'm going really fast. Wild World of Sports is filming, Guiness Book of World Records is timing me, I'm considering my Olympic possibilities going from the North Harbor to the South Harbor. Suddenly it occurs to me that if I move the starboard oar out of the way, I can lean against the hull and get some more speed, go a little higher to the wind. I move it and boy am I moving.

Then, I over steer into the wind, the sail starts luffing and I do a back flip into the Pacific. After about 30 seconds my pfd inflates and now I am in a neck brace. Finally get the boat righted but it is full of water and there is no getting my fat ass back into the boat.

I swam for the rocks, about 75 yards, more exercise that I have had in 10 years and jam my freshly varnished Fatty into the rocks so I could turn the boat over and get the water out. Sheepishly I sailed back to my boat and the clicking cameras of my yacht club buddies.

A good lesson to learn, if I had been in Monterey past the breakwater, I would have been in real trouble!

Attachments

• Sank the Fatty.jpg
    Sank the Fatty.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 137
I picked up the weaver snap davit system to use with my 9' Dyer Dhow.

I have yet to install them but I envision passing a light line thru the two oar lock fittings on the outboard side ( away from the swim platform ) and pulling the dink to the up position using the lines.

It appears the height of your gunwale on the Fatty is different than the height of your platform, causing the Fatty to list-- any negative effects from this?

Not sure how mine matches up either.

JohnP

John, no issue. I was going to order the higher weaver davits, I thought about 3 inches would be perfect but as it turns out, that would make it Impossible to unclip while in the boat. As it is, once I'm in it, it is really easy to unclip, make a very stable entry/exit. But it is all new, ill know more after a few month of use.

I'm surprise how different the fatty is from my inflatable! Unstable comes to mind!

I'll post pictures once I rig up the hook.

I just re-read your idea of using the oar lock. I'm going to look at that next week when I am on the boat. With the right clip, I could just snap into that

My plans to spend the long weekend on the dock were vetoed in favor of deck cleaning and patio furniture maintenance. I'm thrilled!

Makes sense, With the Fatty trying to right herself un clipping would be easy.
I suppose the weight of the dinghy crew also brings the Fatty more in line.

I too am taking a break from inflatables, have not splashed the Dyer yet, decided to refinish the cap and rails on my IG, I removed the hardware and the old finsh and it has not stopped raining long enough to dry out the teak.

The Fatty is a cool dinghy, would have bought one if I could. Is yours by Edey and Duff? Once owned a E&D Stonehorse--best sailing boat I ever had.

JohnP

Nice picks and story! The Fatty is on my short list when I get home. Sounds like it sails great!

John,

My Fatty was made by Grace Marine in 1987. I know they have had several owners over the years. Have a few calls/emails into the current incarnation to get a gear bad for the tiller and dagger board but no call back. Hope they are still in business

Should have bought the Bauer it points real high !!!

Gerald, I think you owe us a bunch of pictures of the new boat. Make it happen. As the Defever is a dream of mine, I'd love to know more about the refit and the buying experience as I believe you did most of this from a distance. Start a new thread and entertain me!

Back
Top Bottom