new here. about me, and a question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scoobert, There is only so much you can do to save money fixing boats.

Sure, You can patch things up and keep it running--but if it quits when you really need it, you will wish you had done it right.

I think you are a little unhappy with the current system that exists in this country.

If you want to live off the grid--a trawler is not the answer. The bottom line is from the moment you buy one--someone will be looking for money. This will never stop until you no longer own the boat.

Why do you think so many are donated or given away.

The only boat to live off the grid on is a SAILBOAT and keep moving.

Otherwise a cabin in the mountains is a nice way to beat the system.
Than you do not have to worry about hurricanes while you are away from you loved ones doing a trucking job.

The system works if you let it--life itself can be an adventure.

Hope you find peace in whatever you are doing.

JohnP

Sounds to me like you have this all figured out and have all the answers. Hell, I don't see why you can't be doing this by the weekend! Good luck!

I'm out!

People live aboard boats for all sorts of reasons. Living aboard because you think it is cheaper is not a valid one! A new baby in the mix is a recipe for DISASTER! If you want to live aboard, do it because you want to experience the lifestyle. Either on the move or in one place. Boats are a depreciating asset. A dirt house may or not be a depreciating asset. One thing is for sure, history has shown real property to increase most of the time.
Boats are fun, adventurous and HORRIBLE investments. Yes I know there are exceptions here and there, but usually they lose. an apartment not in the Northeast is probably the cheapest way to live i your situation. Be careful with adding stress to a new family situation.

You old farts are just jealous because your not 30 and know it all. Listen and learn.:hide:

Hmm no more help. Guess people got tired of getting the assistance questioned and chucked back into their face.

Hmm no more help. Guess people got tired of getting the assistance questioned and chucked back into their face.

got my answer early on. made an offer on a 3 stateroom sailboat today. if i can get it then problem solved.

Congrats, I think you made the right decision to go with sail.

You can motor her as a true displacement hull for great economy, or motor sail, or use sail alone and travel for free.

Best of luck and enjoy your adventures.

JohnP

yes, i have been told sailboats can get 8NMPG+ so we will see.
the only drawback of this one is draft. she draws 6.4' and i believe they recommend no more then 6' for the great loop. hope thats a recommend, and not a firm no-go. but who knows, i may not get this boat, but this is the first offer so far that has been sorta accepted.

and paying $4500-6500 a year in property tax, plus upkeep, plus electric, heat, plus a massive loan.

The places where you can anchor out and get to shore for free (and get mail, dump your garbage and find a pump out are few indeed.

A dock will cost $3.00 to $20. per foot per MONTH depending what you are willing to accept.

A 50 ft boat in CT or NY can easily run $1000, $1500 a month , plus electric.

With no blue water plans a house boat , that can take the ground between tides will help find a low cost unwanted spot.
Electric is not required as propane cooking, reefers hot water, and heat are common RV items.

Good luck in your quest,

and paying $4500-6500 a year in property tax, plus upkeep, plus electric, heat, plus a massive loan.

The places where you can anchor out and get to shore for free (and get mail, dump your garbage and find a pump out are few indeed.

A dock will cost $3.00 to $20. per foot per MONTH depending what you are willing to accept.

A 50 ft boat in CT or NY can easily run $1000, $1500 a month , plus electric.

With no blue water plans a house boat , that can take the ground between tides will help find a low cost unwanted spot.
Electric is not required as propane cooking, reefers hot water, and heat are common RV items.

Good luck in your quest,

Up here at the north end of the hudson it cost $40 a foot for may-oct for the season.
In okeechoobie fl its 300 a month for a place i know, IF it is deep enough there.

Truth be told we will also pay for a few weeks in the keys too.

If it was me, I'd hack 6-8 inches off that keel and hit the ICW. It's not like you'll need all that keel for full sailing in the ditch. You might find the mast to be too high too...bring along a hacksaw or a big water bag to tip the mast over to its side to fit under the bridges.

Best of luck with your sailing dreams.

6.5' or even a 6' draft will be very limiting on the ICW. On the OWW a 4' draft can be limiting. I have had to go around through the Keys with a 3'9"draft. While we are talking Keys, anything over a 5' draft would be very limiting. Same goes for many parts of the Bahamas.

Scoobert posted some pictures showing a nice tidy business. Maybe his future boat pictures will be as good. He does seem to have a better grasp than GG about what to do and how to do it.

Now about that $20K fixer upper, what did you find so we can comment on it.

Scoobert posted some pictures showing a nice tidy business. Maybe his future boat pictures will be as good. He does seem to have a better grasp than GG about what to do and how to do it.

Now about that $20K fixer upper, what did you find so we can comment on it.

i made an offer on one, a tayana. i will be looking at it next sunday.
i will be doing some destructive testing to see how bad the deck core is.
i have the full owners permission.
we will then be spending the rest of the day with him on a nice long sail.
if a sail is going to tear, i am hoping it will be sunday next week, and not 3 weeks later.
honestly i didn't think i could get this much boat for what i offered.
its not a sure thing.

thanks for the complement BTW, i try to keep my equipment in nice condition.
that truck was also a fix-er-upper. looks nice now eh? thou i admit, i bought the trailer new :D

This is a Hoot.I was almost late for work reading this.
The Tayana is built like a tank .Good luck with your offer.

if a sail is going to tear, i am hoping it will be sunday next week, and not 3 weeks later.
honestly i didn't think i could get this much boat for what i offered.
its not a sure thing.

Sailboats' engines are their sails and rigging. Insure you have both checked by a pro or your cost will balloon very quickly. There is much more to it than a sail tearing.

Hey Blue Heron,
It looks like I might have to replace my heat exchanger as well . Mine looks exactly like yours .I talked with mesa yesterday and he said that he thought mine was aluminum. I think it is cast iron.He said the replacement Bowman from England would be aluminum .Was your original cast iron and was the new one from Mesa aluminum or cast iron?
Sorry to have to go back to this thread ,I remember this guy he was a real know it all, but this is a good pic of the new one. Mine has a small hole that I'm going to try and repair . I'm also going to try a magnet on it to see if aluminum or not.

Nice rig .Looks stout.

You're pulling our legs, right?:hide: Hopefully??:nonono:

Pack,

My bowman replacement was aluminum. It was solid as hell though!

The elbows built by MESA were Stainless Steel.

I would replace the elbows also.

Pack,

My bowman replacement was aluminum. It was solid as hell though!

The elbows built by MESA were Stainless Steel.

I would replace the elbows also.
Thanks ,I'm going to try and patch mine first.It's a really small hole.I sure like these Perkins but dang the parts are high.

That's what I'm thinking if I can get it clean enough.

You are improving the old sailboat every day. Way to go!

You may want to consider double hose clamps on your raw water pump hose.

Nice looking yacht.

Good luck and be safe!

My condolences on your loss.

Good Luck on following your dream.

I bought an old trawler several years ago. I've done almost all the work myself. It has cost much more than I anticipated. The only thing I "splurged" on was electronics. Buying marine grade wire by the spool makes BIG sense. I removed three 55 gal garbage bags of rotten wire out of mine. I've spent more than $2500 (most wholesale priced) on wire, switches, circuit breakers and connectors. Don't waste your money on wire that is not marine grade. I would be very aggressive about changing all the hoses below the water line. I cleaned and serviced all my through hull valves and in 6 months couldn't move the valves without extended mechanical advantage. I could not find replacement chrome plated balls so I had to change all the through hull valves. If I remember correctly the valves cost almost .. Well, alot. Also, the prop shaft packing can be changed in the water. However, the HOSE can't be and needs to be the right stuff. These things can sink your boat. Check the stuffing box on your rudder also and the cutlass bearings so when you do have to pull it out of the water you can do everything that needs to be done with one pull.

Right Hose vs. Wrong Hose
Please look for "Compass Marine's How Too Articles." Look for repacking a traditional stuffing box. Your stuffing box isn't exactly like his but it is similar. Actually read everything he has written. (I hope MaineSail doesn't mind this.) Look for MaineSails posts anywhere on the WEB. If you follow his advice you will surely wind up with a boat that will be WAY better, for less investment than figuring it all out by your self.

Have someone who knows rigging take a serious look at all your standing rigging. I thought the rigging on a 32 foot sailboat was fine. A friend who is a life long cruiser, racer and engineer looked at it with a magnifying glass and convinced me to change all the wire. Expensive but a stay failing will not only be more expensive by a large multiple, it can be VERY dangerous as well.

Be careful about tax situations. All government units are desperate for money and have more power to make your life miserable than they should have. Many states and counties see a boat owner as "fair game".

Good luck,
D

Ok guys, here I go. There is not a $20K boat of 40' to 50' that I would sleep on for one night especially with my pregnant wife even if it was on land! Sorry if I offend anyone however safety is primary. A boat of that size for that price has something seriously wrong with it. If you decide to do it anyway, the first investment I would make is in a high water alarm and a life raft. This comes from a licensed Captain and a full time live aboard with 50 years of experience. Take it for what it's worth. I hope you will show this post to your wife before she follows you down this path. Good luck.

if anyone cares to see what i bought, its here:
S/V Union Pacific

Ya know scoobert - I just spent some time reading every post here as well as reviewing your "new" boat link. I can say get-it-on... but... be careful, be sane, and have fun. Although in diffrent dimensions than yours... my life has been and still is what many say can't or shouldn't be done. Too bad for them! Go for it man and girl!! You only live once so packing more adventure than most would try is the real thrill! You're smart, in love, and will make it work! I'm on your side!! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat: :dance:

Attachments

• Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom