1999 Caribe 9X on Weaver Davit Loosing Air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doublejb

Vessel Name
Disciple
Vessel Make
Carver 366MY (2003)
Our dinghy is attached to the swim platform with Weaver Davits. The davits work great. The problem is that over a two week period the bottom tube looses too much air; because the dinghy is vertical and the bottom tube is attached to the Weaver Davit all of the dinghy weight is on the bottom tube. We can pump it up, but I'm afraid that if we were gone longer than two weeks that the bottom tube will be damaged. I've had the dinghy tested by a dinghy maintenance company and they cannot find any leaks. The tubes are Hypalon.

Weaver makes a support rod that connects the dinghy motor mount to the swim platform. This is normally used when the motor is left on the dinghy, but I'm thinking that it would take a lot of the weight off of the bottom tube. Any comments?

I just found Bixler's Toobseal Interior Sealer on the Internet. The ad says that it will seal slow leaks. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Or is the useful life of a Hypalon dinghy less than 14 years? Should I just junk it and buy a new one? However, that's not in the budget this year.

Any ideas or comments would be welcome.

I cant say about the Bixlers Toobseal, but after having my own 9 ft. Hypalon Caribe professionally patched, I was told that I might still have to pump it up each week, which turned out to be every 4-5 days or so. When I told them about it they recommended this stuff from West Marine, saying it was very effective if applied as instructed. I got the stuff that afternoon and squeezed about a cup worth into each valve. After reading your post, I went up to the boat deck and reached over the davits to feel the tubes. Hard as a rock!!! and that's been for 10 days now. Here's a snapshot of the product. Very happy!:):)

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 213
Do you KNOW there is a hole in the tube(s)? Test and see if the filler hole check valve is leaking. It is a very common problem with inflatables. That is what was leaking in our old Avon. Just get a little soapy water and check. The valve is not too hard to replace and parts are easy to find (it takes a special tool) It solved our deflating problem quickly. I would try that before lining the inside of it with goo. ;-)

Westmarine sealant worked for me too.

Sometimes the valves just get dirty and they leak. Try cleaning the valve.

Sometimes the valves just get dirty and they leak. Try cleaning the valve.

Hey! That's even cheaper than my idea. Good one, J!

Ditto the valves too. Golden retriever hair covers my life and one got stuck in the valve. Easy fix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom