new here. about me, and a question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi scooobert,

Are you sure a sailboat is not a better choice? I do a lot of craigslist surfing and it seems to me a nice sailboat can be had for far less than a diesel yacht. With a sailboat, an engine failure is far less catastrophic, as in, you can still go somewhere.

Here's a few of many examples:

Reduced! 50' ketch. Glass. Ctr. Cockpit Project
1976 49' Schooner Sailboat
36' Sailboat Hillyard Cutter 1950
Kettenburg K40 Sailboat

These are in Seattle, but on the east coast check the Baltimore CG.

Price on boats like these is always very negotiable. Good luck with your dream!

those first two, especially the first one i would snap up in a heartbeat...
there are so many lovely boats on the west coast.

to bad shipping would be $7000 from LA to gulf coast.

Last edited:
If you paid someone to do it all for you on a 40-50'er it would be quite a bit north of 150K. That would be the DIY price.

If you paid someone to do it all for you on a 40-50'er it would be quite a bit north of 150K. That would be the DIY price.

if i did two new engines, a new gen, repaired the entire gel coat, every window, put in new wireing, redid the kitchen, new matresses, new heads, new canvas, new floors and walls, then maybe.

i have a budget in mind of 20-50,000. not 150. for a sailboat, it would be quite a bit more.

Scoobert,
Let us know if any other specific questions. We all have opinions and pretty much none of us will hesitate to share them with you. None of us know you, your circumstances, or your abilities. Not knowing that, your proposed $20k budget, proposed cruising grounds, and plans seem to be a difficult path to align. But- that is what dreams are made of. Best advice I could give you is put your wife and soon to be born child first...put their care and their protection and their health and safety and well being first and work hard and make your dreams come true. I'm not a full time liveaboard but we average around 120 nights aboard a year. Our kids are now 10.5 and 9 and have been boating since they were born. Boating with young children is an entirely different circumstance than boating as a retiree or a middle aged man. Their mobility is not as good, ladders dangerous, etc. etc. The boat that fit us when our kids are now 10ish is not the same boat that fit them when they were 2.
Don't let a dream supersede the need to provide and protect your family (I am not saying you are doing that!) and if you stay true to that then the rest will work itself out.

Scoobert,
Let us know if any other specific questions. We all have opinions and pretty much none of us will hesitate to share them with you. None of us know you, your circumstances, or your abilities. Not knowing that, your proposed $20k budget, proposed cruising grounds, and plans seem to be a difficult path to align. But- that is what dreams are made of. Best advice I could give you is put your wife and soon to be born child first...put their care and their protection and their health and safety and well being first and work hard and make your dreams come true. I'm not a full time liveaboard but we average around 120 nights aboard a year. Our kids are now 10.5 and 9 and have been boating since they were born. Boating with young children is an entirely different circumstance than boating as a retiree or a middle aged man. Their mobility is not as good, ladders dangerous, etc. etc. The boat that fit us when our kids are now 10ish is not the same boat that fit them when they were 2.
Don't let a dream supersede the need to provide and protect your family (I am not saying you are doing that!) and if you stay true to that then the rest will work itself out.

your very correct. wife and children safety come first, and this is our first.
we will find a few snags, i am sure, on that end.
but i have been reading blogs about children on boats.
the bums have had two, on a sailboat. thats a huge freeboard, and a huge set of steps. there will be modifications, that will be ugly, to protect the children. i have plans to redo the railing, to a higher height, and to of course add netting.

and i am not experienced parent, but were any of us?

Your dream is not uncommon among trawler folks. Perhaps that is why you came to this forum.

Sometimes dreams have to be adjusted to the present circumstances.

You say you are going to work at least 4 more years. Is your work New York based or can you telecommute?

If it is New York based than maybe you should buy a 20k, 45 footer and start fixing her up. Four years is a good time frame for that project.

If your Wife moves aboard a workshop boat with a newborn, you have found a one and a Billion Lady!!

Save up a lot of money, because all this moving the boat North and South, keeping it somewhere, and taking care of it will cost.

Don't forget to factor in healthcare, insurance, maybe keeping a car and all that boring stuff.

That said-- I think you can do it!!! But I think it will be harder than doing the landbased life.

Best to you and yours.. JohnP

thanks john.
i am what they call a hotshot.
a trucker that is in a smallish truck that moves small freight of all kinds.
i can work from anywhere.
i prefer the north east because we have the best CPM rate on cars. we are at $1 a mile for cars, florida for example is at 50CPM for cars. so i can do my job anywhere, but the north east, pittsburgh, boston, new york, have the best rates in the country.

565005_4577070632864_1880409081_n.jpg

484610_4249421241834_1598215737_n.jpg

Live aboard in a cold climate?

I remember a guy living aboard an old wood OB boat w no bulkhead on the aft end of the little cabin. He had plastic (common stuff usually called Visquine (SP?) covering the whole aft end of the boat.

He was a young man and of course by himself. He had an small electric heater, a light bulb and I liked to see him at night w 6" (or so) of snow in the plastic.

Living in Alaska on a boat is quite popular and much more economical than you might think. Moorage for a 35 to 40' boat is often to usually about 6 to $700 a year. Not a misprint ... a YEAR. Groceries are of course about 25% higher ....
or more depending on where you are.

if i was single, and the boat was well insulated, then i would consider it.

Thanks for the additional information and that your primary focus is for our wife and bumps safety. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying it can not be done. During the second year of being a live aboard our daughter with new born, a week old, 7 year old son and 2 year old daughter move on to the boat with us for 2 years. We drop about 30 grand into the boat to make it child prove and ready. We were already in a protected/secure marina and a good slip so the boat could be tied up so the swim platform was over hung the dock and 6” off the dock for easy entrance. I paid the marina to have the slip rewired to have reliable 50 amps 120 volts, and lined/roped the 200 ft length of the dock.

We canvas enclosed and remodel the back deck, rewired the AC 120 volts, added diesel heat, increase the holding tank to 50 gallon, added another refrigerator/freezer plus all the basic child proof stuff like gates, drawer/door/toilet latches etc. We thought the boat was in reasonable live aboard ready, but adding children into the mix made if big difference.

My wife is the more adventurous one, I am the conservative one, so we balance each other.

Attachments

• back deck.jpg
    back deck.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 78
yes, the dock can be dangerous, i have to agree there. young babies going for a splash in average temp water is not so big of a deal thou. they have some sort of built in, dont breathe in water thing(no idea how to describe it) but they would be ok up to a certain age. of course we will be teaching our kids to swim as well. we would be dumb not to.
hmm, i may have to give the child safety aspect another look, i still know very little about them.
why did you rewire the 120 volt?

I bought an above average 40 foot Heritage on 2012. I brought it home last June. I have spent the last year and approx cost doing the following mostly on my own but with some technical help or yard work on bigger repairs. Also this was just required maintenance to be able to be safe and secure;
- remove and install new Toilets and associated lines - $900.00 self
- Haul out remove and replace new thru hulls - $2,300 professional
- painted lazerette corrosion removal &400.00 self
- installed new chart plotter/radar/transducer/nav $3500.00 professional
- replace stbd engine Exhaust hose $270.00 pro
- wet sand and deoxidize hull to waterline $1500.00 pro
- repair fly bridge canvas $800.00 pro
- paint and remove corrosion engine room and bilges $1200.00 self
- replace 2 VHF radios with new and install new Antenna $900.00 self
- restore all teak and bright work $300.00 self
- replace manicooler stbd engine $2500.00 professional
- replace and custom build three wet exhaust elbows ( no longer made OEM) $2000.00 pro
- repair/recaulk/revarnish sun deck teak $600.00 self
- install new mattress master $500.00 self
- install EPIRB $800.00 self
- install new Fire Bottles $300.00 self
- haul out for etch and new bottom paint repair 5 large blisters and barrier coat $3500.00
- purchase new 30 amp elec $150.00 self
- new 300 foot anchor line /11 feet of chain and anchor $250.00

This doesn't include purchase of misc to make vessel compliant with USCG or comfortable.
Doesn't include fuel or electric or slip fees or insurance

This $ 22670.00 or 26% of the value of the boat for the first year! I just point this out because it is probably pretty typical.

I still have much cosmetically to do but this was simply to be able to enjoy the boat with wife and son

Your Milage may vary.

that must be one nice nav system. they have an awesome package now for $2000.
i think you overpaid for the cooler/exhaust too?

You seem to keep miss the points! :banghead:

Why don’t you actually go down to a marina full clothed for winter weather, jump in, and see how hard/difficulty it is to get out of the water. If you can not or have a hard time, then don’t expect your wife and/or child to do it. You have to get down to their level and strength. Whole different perceptive/view down there. It does not matter how long they can hold their breath as the cold water will sap their energy/strength in minutes. My wife slipped in twice, and luck to be alive as I had live rings and lines in easy reach and installed dock ladders at the bow and stern. When looking at boat make sure you wife can get on/off the boat with one hand, and no long/high steps. :nonono:

We rewired as we installed additional electric refrigerators/freezer, heater and plugs, and it was recommend in the survey. Glad we did as the wiring had some issues and not enough recommend breakers. We also installed additional smoke, CO, and propane alarms. It’s OK for us to risk our lives but not our children and grandchildren. Having the responsibility of a wife and child changes your whole perspective/view. :flowers::thumb:

Most of us older member have been there, done that, made mistakes and learned from them, so take advantage of it! That is what we are here for. I am here basically to play if forward as I learned a lot from others over the years, and hopefully you will to.:socool:

You seem to keep miss the points! :banghead:

Why don’t you actually go down to a marina full clothed for winter weather, jump in, and see how hard/difficulty it is to get out of the water.

why would i be in the marina in the winter?

that must be one nice nav system. they have an awesome package now for $2000.
i think you overpaid for the cooler/exhaust too?

My nav system is typical Garmin 18HD 740S and labor was standard at 6 hours for removal and reinstall

As for the manicooler and the wet elbows I suggest you do some homework. They are expensive. TAD Diesel look up manicooler for 6.354 NA Perkins and then google MESA MARINE Alabama. The stainless steel elbows are custom made and only ones available.

Hey I gave you the factual info. Yours to do what you want with. Recommend you not try to question the truthfulness of the facts given I have no reason to lie. Also trawler owners are notoriously frugal. My costs are good deals as others will attest they are factual.

Good luck amigo you will need it with your attitude

what was wrong with the wet exhaust elbows that they could not be refurbished?

they list 3 different part numbers. all about $700.
Perkins Heat Exchanger

Those are not the manicooler made by Bowman to replace the current all in one coolers.

As for the other question, they are no longer made by Perkins. They quit making this engine Circa 1992. The company MESA is renown for making parts custom out of stainless steel instead of iron as originally built. Iron corrodes over time and the passages much like an artery clog and corrode.

My costs are pretty representative of expenses. Yours to analyze.

Your question about GPH burn rate: at 8.5
kts and 1900 rpm I burn 2.5 gallons per motor.

Economical.

i still cannot grasp why you could not refurbish the old elbow. passage ways can be cleaned. the only thing you cant fix, well, is cracks, but then i had cracks welded in cast iron on my bayliner, held just fine. point being is if you spend a bit more time you could repair them and save cash. i am not sure how the coolers are made, but i am betting there is a method of referb on those too. wish i was here to offer the advice on this when you needed it and not in hindsight. my diesel engine abilities are intimidating. if you have another engine issue feel free to PM me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom