Cetol on gelcoat removal tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Hi there,

While our boat was kept to a high mechanical standard by the PO, there seemed to be an aversion to masking tape.

We haven't removed the heavy oxidation or waxed yet, figuring the cetol on gelcoat would have to be dealt with first.

Any tips for removing old cetol drips from old gelcoat?

Very fine sandpaper works just fine. Our old boats usually have some pretty thick gelcoat.

If drip is heavy just scrap (chip) the excess off, the edge of a credit card or fingernail works quite well without scrapping the gelcoat. If it is just a thin film layer use a little acetone (key word is little) and the fiberglass cleaner/wax. Found a few that the Admiral missed and this worked very well.

Very fine sandpaper works just fine. Our old boats usually have some pretty thick gelcoat.

Ouch! If you sand at all, which hopefully you won't have to, start with 800 grit wet, then 1200 grit wet and finish with 1500 grit wet. Then buff with a good rubbing compound. Use a small sanding block, you can't get an even/flat finish with wet paper and your fingers.

I'm with rochepoint. That should work. :thumb:

Use a razor blade scraper that you can buy at most hardware stores. I would not use my finger nails as they might chip or worse yet break which can be very traumatic. :D I tend not to tape also so I have to go back and clean up the drips, the razor blade usually does it. I would not sand unless you want to do the whole area over again? :confused:

I do not use acetone as it tend to be to aggressive, where as paint thinner usually will due, but require a little more elbow grease. :flowers:

I have used a razorblade scraper ,carefully, it is slow work. Cetol tends to seep under some masking tapes I have used. I suggest using a top quality tape.

Back
Top Bottom