Follow me, Left marathon for Tennessee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the admiral got some crazy idea that if the captain doesn't start the engines he should start the coffee. Huh. Man times sure ain't what they used to be. My mother used ta well ....I said ok but just this once I don't wanna spoil her. I know that ain't the way her dad raised her. And fur you newbies ya gotta train them admirals right from the git go.

On a serious note. I'm gonna hang out for awhile and go threw my engine room. I keep those white absorb pads under the engines so that I see right away if I'm getting an oil or fluid leak. I'll check all the fluid levels. Ill clean my sea strainers ive been traveling threw alot of sea grass. I know I have to change or maybe just tighten the wires on my oil sending unit. My gauge was reading 0. I keep a manual pressure gauge on board so I know the pressure is fine it's just not showing.
A little tid bit while I'm thinking of. Water in the bilge. If your gettin a lot of water in the bilge ya start by determining if its fresh or salt, hot or cool. Hot would be engine, fresh you know to look at the house lines. I try to remember to shut off my water pump when under way or away from the boat because if I can't hear the pump cycling I could loose a hundred gallons of the admirals good shower and dish water.

Attachments

• image-2643815724.jpg
    image-2643815724.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 92
You are very wise to go through the engines before proceeding. I take a close look at both engines after every run at the end of the day. I found a raw water leak due to a broken hose clamp that gave no indication at the helm. I probably saved an engine because the leak was right over the air intake and the engine was sucking salt water for about 45 minutes. It wouldn't have taken much longer before real problems would have developed.

Good luck, are you staying in the Tampa Bay area for a few days?

David, if you need more than you can do yourself, there is a great boat yard just across the river from Desoto Park. Snead Island Boat Works. They can do most anything. I have kept my boat there for awhile, and they did good work for me.

"I take a close look at both engines after every run at the end of the day"
--------------
One of my flight instructors taught me to do a post flight mag check & a quick walk around so if anything had fallen off I'd know it then instead of the next time the plane was rented.

You are very wise to go through the engines before proceeding. I take a close look at both engines after every run at the end of the day. I found a raw water leak due to a broken hose clamp that gave no indication at the helm. I probably saved an engine because the leak was right over the air intake and the engine was sucking salt water for about 45 minutes. It wouldn't have taken much longer before real problems would have developed.

Good luck, are you staying in the Tampa Bay area for a few days?

Yes it looks like the rivers coming into mobile are a little high. They say they don't recommend traveling above 14ft and there at 19. So it looks like at least a week probably two before I should even think about the rivers. The crossing of the gulf looks ok today and tomorrow but Saturday and Sunday are bad. So I got some time to kill. I could probably save a bunch if I got a slip for a week. But I should probably just do a day here and there and use the hook and dingy. My vehicle is in ft. Lauderdale I could get that a little closer.
So I'm not sure if I should jump acrossed the pond or split my wait here and there. How about some recommendations

My hinos should be feelin more better, the strainers did have a little grass and silt in them. There's an aweful lot of what looks like pollen floating on the water and it seems to be clogging the strainer a little. I guess I'll clean them daily now. I changed my oil pressure sending unit and all is well there. Being a parts hoarder pays off.

When you see these clouds what do you do.

Watch them build and enjoy the view of their lifespan. Learn from them.

It might seem counter-intuitive but you might benefit from doing some studying of a basic aviation groundschool type book on weather. Pilots have a much greater investment in knowing how such things work.

The type of convective clouds you are concerned about are of great interest to pilots and the aviation training materials go into much better detail and explanation than basic marine weather texts.

The dreaded anvil is simply what happens when a Cumulas cloud rises high enough to have its top blown downwind by the very strong winds at high altitudes. They represent a dangerous cloud because benign cumulus clouds simply don't get that high.

Not every cumulus cloud becomes a thunderstorm and not every thunderstorm is a dangerous threat. They are just part of the environment you have chosen to enjoy.

A friend is trying to get me to come to harborage marina in st Pete. But I don't know having gulf front property sounds nicer Being tucked away back in the bay doesn't sound that great. Even if it is safe

If we follow the intercostal north does it get a little cheaper eventually Any recommends for a great place to kill time. The place I just checked was $109 a night or 700 a month. I'll stay on the hook for short times but the month don't sound to bad. I think there's got to be better views tho with the cement pond.

If we follow the intercostal north does it get a little cheaper eventually Any recommends for a great place to kill time. The place I just checked was $109 a night or 700 a month. I'll stay on the hook for short times but the month don't sound to bad. I think there's got to be better views tho with the cement pond.

If you want to stay on the beach side I like the Clearwater Municipal Marina. It is just across the street from a great beach. Many restaurants within walking distance.

The Harborage and St Pete Muncipal Marinas are really nice places also. You can walk to Publix, drug stores, West Marine. The Salvador Dahli Museum is a must see. The Columbia Restaurant out on the pier is very good.

You can't go wrong either way. Either is good for a few days. I have not had a problem with safety at either.

If you want to stay on the beach side I like the Clearwater Municipal Marina. It is just across the street from a great beach. Many restaurants within walking distance.

The Harborage and St Pete Muncipal Marinas are really nice places also. You can walk to Publix, drug stores, West Marine. The Salvador Dahli Museum is a must see. The Columbia Restaurant out on the pier is very good.

You can't go wrong either way. Either is good for a few days. I have not had a problem with safety at either.

I agree with all that! I would also add into the mix Twin Dolphin marina just south of St. Pete in downtown Bradenton...great downtown district right at the footstep of the marina and nice spot.

Headin to St. Pete but I'm gonna turn before the bridge and head north

Attachments

• image-3279583473.jpg
    image-3279583473.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 111
The admirals mom loves bridges

Attachments

• image-358223168.jpg
    image-358223168.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 121
Clearwater marina looks nice

David, if you have a few more days to kill, Tarpon Springs is a good place for a few days. Great Greek food. Santorinis is my favorite restaurant there. They have a small municipal marina in the heart of the district.

Am I ok going this way into Clearwater. Along the bridge?

I know yinz think retirement is easy but I gotta tell ya there's a lot of stress making these big decisions every day on what to do.

Attachments

• image-1244390585.jpg
    image-1244390585.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 137
I know yinz think retirement is easy but I gotta tell ya there's a lot of stress making these big decisions every day on what to do.

David you are up to the task. That's why you were paid the big bucks so that you could retire in luxury.:D

Yeah that's a long, straight, and narrow channel going along the causeway. It will open into Boca Ciega Bay. There is a Leverock's Seafood restaurant with a dock on your port side. Good stop for lunch.

It will be a fairly slow slog with some bridges up to Clearwater through the narrows. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

She thinks they can hear her

Attachments

• image-754834625.jpg
    image-754834625.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2026479167.jpg
    image-2026479167.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1204121814.jpg
    image-1204121814.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 114
Nice winter homes