Good Bye Marin Faure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I have to say that it was great fun doing wannabe windows on different boats. It just won't be the same without the Father of wannabe philosophy around to critique the work. Heck, I was getting ready to do a whole new series on wannabe hause-pipes. :(

I saw some of the teaser pics from your new wannabe hause-pipe series Larry and I must say- I have been rather looking forward to viewing the full series!!

I think it only fitting you doctor up a photo of Marin's boat to add some wannabe windows and a tuna tower and a few other fun items for his boat. Perhaps he will print and frame it and place it on a bulkhead of his trawler to remind himself of TF. :)

Glad to see someone corrected the spelling.:)

I am keeping my account open so I can continue to correspond via PM with the couple of people I like to correspond with.

But as I told Pau Hana-- whose company, Anchor Marine, has been our marine insurance broker for the last 14+ years and i highly recommend them no matter what part of the country you're in-- 9,000+ posts to an internet forum, and a recreational one at that, is downright embarrassing to say nothing of being immoral and probably illegal, at least in this state. The more I looked at that number the more ridiculous I felt, and a lot of members have made it clear they feel the same way. So to hit 10,000 would be unacceptable.

I joined the forum right after John and Doug started it in 2007 as an antidote to the very strictly controlled T&T list. I continue to commend them for their willingness to give it a shot and the effort they put into their endeavor. They did the recreational motor cruising community a huge service.

But had I known I would become this active I would have-- or should have-- pulled the plug right off the bat. A lot of people today wish I had.:). But I didn't and here we are at this ludicrous number of posts.

So enough's enough.

While my forum participation was certainly prolific it actually didn't take up much of my time. For whatever reason-- parents who were professional writers and published authors perhaps--- I can be a fast writer when I need to be and I dashed off TF posts while waiting for planes or during forced downtime while editing or waiting for a crew to set up the next shot or whatever. Nevertheless time is a finite commodity and I have other things I should be using it for.

I'll for sure peruse the forum fairly frequently at first just out of sheer habit and perhaps send a PM if I feel I have something useful to pass on to a poster. But I'm making it as hard as I can to access it.

I think I've got a couple of posts left to 9999. Or maybe this one's it. I'll know when I hit Submit.:)

Appreciate the kinds words and endorsement, Marin.

You do realize, that, like a train wreck, you will be drawn back here again and again- you won't be able to look away.

To me, that is a good thing- knowledge and experience shared is of benefit to all.

You do realize, that, like a train wreck, you will be drawn back here again and again- you won't be able to look away.

In an exchange with Walt (Seahorse II) yesterday I did the math and realized that if I figure an average time of five minutes to write a post that's a total of 833 hours. 833 hours of totally unproductive time. What a freakin' waste! I should have thought to run the numbers years ago. I would have stopped way back then.

Knowing this I am hoping it will motivate me not to return and waste any more.

The only thing I might do is start an account under a different heading so if I get any cool photos on our fishing trips and cruises I can post them on West Coast Cruising. We all like to look at pictures.

But that might lead me back into active participation in the forum so I'll have think that one through very carefully.

But 833 hours totally wasted that I'll never get back. That's bloody insane.

Last edited:
"But 833 hours totally wasted that I'll never get back. That's bloody insane."
--------------------------

I thank you for many of those hours...never a waste for me, especially your aviation & travel related posts.

Last edited:
.............................But 833 hours totally wasted that I'll never get back. That's bloody insane.

:) A year has about 1600 productive hours, so thats a waste of half a year production time.......

Cees

Glad to see someone corrected the spelling.:)

I joined the forum right after John and Doug started it in 2007 as an antidote to the very strictly controlled T&T list. I continue to commend them for their willingness to give it a shot and the effort they put into their endeavor. They did the recreational motor cruising community a huge service.

Truly our pleasure!!!

Marin,
We have come up with a solution for you. Us moderators will delete 50 of your old posts per day to allow you to stay below your 10k cap limit. if we find that 50 posts per day are not sufficient to keep you below the 10k post limit you can just PM us and we can bump it up to 75-100 old posts deleted per day and then you will never have to worry about getting at or over the 10k cap. ;)

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boating forums.”
[with apologies to Kenneth Grahame]

There's no need for deletions - I can set your post count down to some lower number.

The content you've posted over the past few years is wonderful and a great resource to others. The coolest thing about forums is this very exchange of knowledge - sort of a cyber version of the bench in front of a small town barber shop. While you may think it's a colossal waste of time, those who've read and learned or enjoyed surely would disagree.

Let me know just how miniscule you'd like your post count to be; currently it's quite enviable but we can lop some of it off ;)

There's no need for deletions - I can set your post count down to some lower number.

The content you've posted over the past few years is wonderful and a great resource to others. The coolest thing about forums is this very exchange of knowledge - sort of a cyber version of the bench in front of a small town barber shop. While you may think it's a colossal waste of time, those who've read and learned or enjoyed surely would disagree.

Let me know just how miniscule you'd like your post count to be; currently it's quite enviable but we can lop some of it off ;)

Can you set it up so that the count goes in reverse? I.e., every time Marin posts his count goes down by one?

That would give him an opportunity to work on reducing his feeling of insanity while giving the rest of us the opportunity to continue to learn and be entertained.

So your time spent here has been a waste of time.

Please don't WASTE anymore time w me.

Marin:

You are not breaking to numbers down enough. 833 hours over the 6 year life of TF is only 138 hrs per year. As to productivity-as much as you travel, have waiting time on productions, and simply some downtime of your own, much more than 138 hrs/year are "non-productive". I would argue that TF has given you the medium to turn many of those hours to productive use by educating, infuriating, entertaining, pontificating and simply communing with those of us on TF.

Non-productive? Bah!

I don't think he really disrespects us as a whole.

He just said the wrong thing.

10000 presentations to us over 6 years shows a great deal of respect but saying it was a waste of time is obviously incorrect. His bad.

Marin

Just close existing account with TF .

Open new account with different name and use a picture of a 55 Fleming as your avatar.

All be well in the world again.

VBG

OFB,
Just wait till this new guy expresses himself on Bruce anchors.

Good Bye - Marin! ;)

Been fun reading (some of) your posts... :socool: and :rolleyes: and :ermm:

Happy Cruising!! :speed boat:

833 hours of sharing here on TF! Well, if it's any consolation, I've probably spent that much time Photoshopping wannabe windows.:rolleyes:

I can set your post count down to some lower number.

Isn't this illegal? Like turning the odometer back on an older car? Gees, we're starting to sound like the G.D. government. :blush:

Marin, I must admit that I have not always read the entirety of the post you write. I have pm'ed you on how eloquent you write and how vivid your description of even the simplest things are. Time wasted on here helps people like us not waste as much time doing what we do on our boats. I for one can use lots of help with my grasp of the English language. Others help me with my rebuild of the Cajun Rose and you have enlightened me to things not so mechanical but just as important.
Thanks Paul

In an exchange with Walt (Seahorse II) yesterday I did the math and realized that if I figure an average time of five minutes to write a post that's a total of 833 hours. 833 hours of totally unproductive time. What a freakin' waste!

But 833 hours totally wasted that I'll never get back. That's bloody insane.

Is it insane to have a desire to help people? Your posts are very helpful and mean a lot to many of us on this board. With that said, I still don't agree that you wouldn't find a stern thruster useful ;)

Wow!!! I go out to sea for a while and everything changes.

Marin Leaving the Forum. Who would of thought.

If I was around full time I think I would miss his input.

I will say this of him.

If something could be said in just a few words, Marin would use all of them.

I will miss his wit and wordsmithing.

Back in port for a spell so how has everything been
while i was away?

Wow!!! I go out to sea for a while and everything changes.

Marin Leaving the Forum. Who would of thought.

If I was around full time I think I would miss his input.

I will say this of him.

If something could be said in just a few words, Marin would use all of them.

I will miss his wit and wordsmithing.

Back in port for a spell so how has everything been
while i was away?

SD, you are MISSED. Hope things are going well in your world. Really glad to hear from you.

SD I was just thinking the other day that you havenot posted recently:whistling:

Position Vacant

Trawler Forum is seeking an Erudite contributor to replace our senior contributor in this vibrant member led organisation.

If you have the following qualities and feel you are the right fit, we would love to hear from you.

* A sharp wit, who does not suffer fools gladly, perceived or otherwise
* The ability to string words together(lots of them) in coherent and grammaticality correct sentences
* Be able to hold a predetermined course, both on the water and in the face of differing opinion no matter how paradoxical the issue, or evidence based
* Believe that Bruce anchors,stern thrusters, hot weather, single engines,driving from a flybridge, use of the word flybridge instead of flying bridge, Lehman engines , Grand Banks boat design,reversed raked windows,cooking etc are a work of the devil or fools or both.

Trawler Forum HR Manager interviewing MF candidate.

HR Manager "Tell me, what do you consider your greatest weakness"
MF candidate ".....well, perhaps telling the truth"
HR manager "Telling the truth, I don't think that could be called a weakness"
MF candidate "Who the f*ck cares what you think.
HR Manager "Congratulation you got the job" :D

Last edited:
Thanks Don.

I really was suprised to hear about Marin but I guess a few of the regulars are absent.
or just lurking.

Every one has a good reason for finding other things to do with their time.

Prescious thing time.

A lot more behind me than ahead. Sort of why I decided to cut and run. I am on the back nine in life.
I figured I wasn't going to change the world. I never became a millionare, or developed a taste for the finer things in life. I value the things I make myself more than money can buy.
So I am taking the time I have left and living the simple life.

I learned a lot from the good old TF. I also learned a lot of it over and over again.
How many times can you say twin vs single.

833 hours is a lot of time. I can see Marin's point.
How many times how many ways can you say you don't like Bruse anchors.

Good for you Marin. Been a pleasure knowing you.

Sd

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom