GB 36 "Wannabe" comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
This was more difficult than I thought. With GB, if you don't get the side window and the pillars right, it doesn't even look like a modified GB...an interesting testimony to the Architect's sensibilities and why GB's are so easily recognizable. The windshield looks Selene-ish.

Attachments

• grandbanks 36 comparison.jpg
    grandbanks 36 comparison.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 218
Impressive photo manipulation, butt-ugly boat. Not that a GB is anything to write home about aesthetically as it is for all the reasons I've listed before. But the reverse-raked windows just make an awkward, out-of-proportion boat look even worse. It looks like it's about to trip over its bow and fall on its face.:) Which most boats with reverse-raked windows appear to be about to do. Either that or they look like clowns with big google-eyes.

I much prefer your major rework of the design you did earlier. I posted that photo on the GB forum and actually got some quite favorable comments. One person said it was looking very much like a Hinckley.

Another long-time GB forum member from the UK who totally restored a wood GB32 from little more than a pile of sticks just commented today that, given the fact his only use for the flying bridge is as a place to store the propane bottles (pretty much the same value we put on it), he much preferred your shot of the boat without a flying bridge.

There was a photo posted here some time ago of a real GB32 with the flying bridge removed and it was a really good looking boat. It looked very much like a lobsterboat with an extended cabin.

So it's been interesting to hear who I figured would be dyed-in-the-wool GB purists agreeing that the GB's exterior aesthetics leave a lot to be desired, and that the absence of the flying bridge is a major improvement all around.

Last edited:
I agree Marin. The standard GB looks better.

But the reverse-raked windows just make an awkward, out-of-proportion boat look even worse.
Well, I disagree! The photo shopped raked windows give that particular GB a very "serious" look. A look that I find to be somewhat "comforting." (If that's at all possible.)

Very nice job Hustler!!!!!!!

Well, I disagree! The photo shopped raked windows give that particular GB a very "serious" look. A look that I find to be somewhat "comforting." (If that's at all possible.)

I agree on the terrific photo manipulation. But I don't find a boat that looks like it's getting ready to dive down into the water face first and do the Titanic thing "comforting." I think it just looks pretentious and silly. And about to disappear under the waves.:)

From a design standpoint, the reverse-raked windows make a huge wedge now as they conflict with the aft-slanted flying bridge face. So now the boat appears to have this giant, almost bulbous cabin forehead that is even more out of proportion to the rest of the boat than it actually is if you measured it. It gives the boat a very front and top-heavy and unstable appearance I think. Aka, very bad design.

Last edited:
The reverse rake is a big improvement in an otherwise less than attractive GB 36 IMO. The GB 42 has the most proportional look in the line. The 36 and 49 are both horribly out of proportion for that model.

The photo shopped picture without the fly bridge was also a huge improvement.

Last edited:

Ditto...I like it.

:iagree:X 2 squared

Face it, the GB36 is an ugly, awkward, out of proportion boat no matter what you do to it unless you chop it down like Healhustler did earlier.

The earlier 36s and 42s are built like tanks, have very user-friendly configurations, are built with high quality materials and fit and finish, and so are good value for the money if what you want is a coastal cruiser. But appearance-wise they pretty much suck compared to other production boats out there like the Fleming 55, deFever 46, Krogen 42, Victory Tug, lobsterboats, etc. The GB46 is the only one of the bunch that looks even remotely right, in my opinion. The others, wannabe windows or not, are just bad-looking boats period, mainly because they are so horribly out of proportion vertically.

Not as bad in my opinion as the cabin-cruiser bunch--- Tollycraft, Uniflite, Carver, etc.--- but bad nevertheless.

Seven and counting.

Last edited:
If I had your address I'd mail you a "Lurker" hat. You are going to need it!

I'm going to try my damndest to not to. For Al's sake if nothing else.:) Six.

I'm waiting for Healhustler to put the manipulation in place of Marin's avatar. :hide:

Ted

I would like to point out that the wannabe GB36 is the stand-on vessel and had right of way. The regular GB36 probably didn't see the other vessel due to the glare off his own slanted windows. Either way, both of their brightwork is going to get dinged.

Regardless, GBs are handsome vessels.

img_157540_0_6d53e28029b93fed28473d5c1525191b.png

(GB42 Mahalo Moi off Angel Island)

Last edited:
Regardless, GBs are handsome vessels.

I'm with you on that Mark. I'm not as sensitive to the imbalances in the lines of vessels that many of you are (I mean, that's a bit obvious, isn't it). I'm more a fan of rugged looking bulges here and there, and I don't mind those of the GB 36 one bit. I like the "Destroyer" profile, and prefer to see it as muscular rather than imbalanced. Since my own boat is kind-of one big bulge, it''s easy to appreciate vessels that are less compromised for space and practicality.

Thanks for the picture Mark. Was just in deep thought about Marin. And of course I attach GB to MF.

Something I see in this GB pic is that the bow pulpit and rail actually do something positive visually for that particular boat. Since the wheelhouse and especially the windshield are so far fwd the bow clutter helps the boat appear normal when it isn't. W/O the bow stuff the wheelhouse would look like it was too far fwd. And it is of course but it seems to look fine w all the stuff out front on the bow.

Despite the above I still thing the GB 36 is the best looking standard trawler in the fleet.

Oh...I was reminded by Walt that the focal point for any well equipped GB 36 should be proper, undeniably effective ground tackle.

Attachments

• grandbanks36 wannabe with bruce.jpg
    grandbanks36 wannabe with bruce.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 115
Very nice photo shop job. But I like the GB36 as they are. I only like reverse raked windshields on raised pilothouses. Especially those with a Portuguese bridge and over 50 ft. In my opinion one of the best looking trawlers around is the KK58.

..... the focal point for any well equipped GB 36 should be proper, undeniably effective ground tackle.
:D Great job! I hope Marin saves this as his "token of appreciation" for contributions made to TF. :D

Oh...I was reminded by Walt that the focal point for any well equipped GB 36 should be proper, undeniably effective ground tackle.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :socool: :socool: :socool:

that is hilarious!!!!

Back
Top Bottom