View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
OK

We brought our 4788 Bayliner north from Washington to Alaska this time last year.

During our Gulf of Alaska crossing we had some iffy weather. I hired a weather router to help us with our decisionmaking.

The first question he asked is similar to your title, "what is too rough"

Ocean boating consists of two different types of waves. Long period waves, and short period waves. These two different kinds of waves combine to make a sea state.

Long period waves are the long term result of wind action. They are as the name implies long in period, with a good example being 11 seconds.

Short period waves are short in period, with a good example being 6-7 seconds. Short period waves are the short term result of wind action. When the wind dies the short period waves abate pretty quickly, leaving the long period waves.

I picked a number based on my experience as a go/no go criteria. I chose for head, or following 10' long and 6' short period waves. which could and would be combined to make the sea state.

For beam seas I decided on 1/2 that number.

Based on our actual experience in our boat that was a good decision, and its a number that I would use again for a safe trip. Thats not a comfortable trip, but it is, and was safe.

We could have handled larger waves, and have, but I would not volunteer to do so. There is a big difference between knowingly going out to sea in a certian sea state and getting caught unintentionally.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote