Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I found this little fixer-upper for your consideration. The vertical pilot house windows seem in harmony with the rest of the boat, and no flying bridge to contend with. Rustic flavor with a pronounced sheer and relatively low windage. What else could you ask for in a vessel?

rusticoldboat2809.jpg

Larry, that's a really shallow draft.:D

hustler wrote;

"That is a very interesting element, but why? It's the same amount of glass, same weight, etc. Do you think it really is to move the weight toward the center?"

He's referring to the FB in post 54 I assume. I don't think it has anything to do w weight in the center or the amount of materials needed to construct the FB. I think the builder or/and owner just thought it looked better and I do to. He may have thought it would cause less windage effect but I really don't know. Didn't even talk to the guy. Just admiring his work.

All these pics are of the same fish boat in Craig Alaska. One of the nicest trollers I've seen. I almost said "trawler".

Attachments

• DSCF0763 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0763 copy 2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 447
  • DSCF0151 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0151 copy 2.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCF0761 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0761 copy 2.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 470
  • DSCF0208 copy.jpg
    DSCF0208 copy.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 434
DIXIE, that is an interesting name for an Alaskan boat.

The members in OZ who cruise Moreton Bay to Southport should recognize this.

Attachments

• img313a.jpg
    img313a.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 602
Steve I hadn't thought of that. Just ..... No I didn't even think it was a woman's name either. It was just Dixie.

Another interesting boat.

Attachments

• DSCF0567 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0567 copy 2.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 470
  • DSCF0570 copy.JPG
    DSCF0570 copy.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 465
Skid,
Was there an article on this boat in PMM a few years ago?

She had a nice full hull. Steel as I recall.

I didn't see the article, but there are several of these conversions on the Lakes. This one has the ubiquitous 6-71 Detroit, and yes they are steel hulled. There are a fair number still in the commercial fishing trade. I once tied up next one in the North Channel of Lake Huron and assumed it was a derelict. The next morning it was gone and I wondered if had sunk at the slip. Two days later we ran into the crew at a bar in the next town. I believe this one was built by T.D. Vinette, who also built my brother in laws boat (which I've posted previously).

th_Jim[1].jpg

For those who like the view from a flying bridge:

img_156637_0_f38b6a675058fe12904037b39f579f07.jpg

Or maybe this flying bridge. Aw hell, more wannabe windows. . . . What's a skipper to do?

BTW, at what point do 'wannabe windows' become the real thing? Does Enterprise (sadly now retired) qualify?

Sorry for a little topic creep to walk down memory lane here. I do think she qualifies as an 'Interesting Boat' though.

026519.jpg

There are no such thing as wannabe windows. It's a myth...like unicorns, leprechauns and the Tooth Fairy.

It's a figment of someone's imagination forced upon us. I presume it too shall fade as fast as it appeared.

BTW, at what point do 'wannabe windows' become the real thing? Does Enterprise (sadly now retired) qualify?

Mark--- Wannabe windows is the totally subjective term I originated years ago for reverse-raked windows applied to a boat that will never encounter the conditions where reverse-raked windows are needed. Which generally means coastal recreational cruisers.

Strictly in my opinion--- what other people think is what other people think and so has no relevance whatsoever to my or any other individual's opinion---- they are simply marketing gimmicks ginned up by the boat manufacturers to hype buyers into thinking they're getting some sort of super-capable boat. In the same way that the term "trawler" has become a name applied to little cabin cruisers like most of the ones on this forum that would last about 15 minutes in the conditions an actual trawler routinely encounters.

Where wannabe windows become "the real thing" is when they are applied to a boat that actually benefits from them. In the recreational market Nordhavn certainly qualifies. As do any vessels that work in open ocean or rough bar conditions where taking seas and heavy spray aboard can threaten the integrity of the windows. Size is not relevant. From the 47' RNLI motor lifeboats to your Enterprise, reverse-raked windows make all kinds of sense.

They're still butt-ugly in my opinion and I think detract from the lines of any vessel they are applied, to. But on vessels that operate under conditions where the reverse rake is genuinely beneficial, function takes priority over form.

On little toy boats like pretty much all of us on this forum have, I think they are primarily an image and marketing ploy.

Last edited:
Mark, is that a WW I era destroyer? Where is that? I didn't think there were any of those left afloat.

Mark, is that a WW I era destroyer? Where is that? I didn't think there were any of those left afloat.

No, it's a WWII gunboat, Nakha (LSSL-751), ex-USS LCS(L)-102 designed to be run up on beach during invasion landings. There is a large Danforth-type anchor hanging on the transom. It is the last of its kind and is located at Mare Island across the strait from Vallejo CA. A private group is restoring it and it is available for touring. For its size it is very heavily armed.

Landing Craft Support LCS(L)(3)

This little double ender was mak'in her way around Cape Caution last spring as we passed.

The Prodigious was at the little harbor just north of Seymour Narrows. Interesting vents, anchor rode, windows and railings.

Attachments

• DSCF0467 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0467 copy 2.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 474
  • DSCF0549 copy.jpg
    DSCF0549 copy.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 402
Oh, what anchor's that, Marin..?

And is that a bulbous bow lurking below? I'd like to have a drum windlass like that. Neat boat.

Hustler,
I have this one. Very rebuildable.
One could anodize it silver or gold.
One of the biggest advantages of the drum is that you can have 4 or 5 different sizes of chain or line attached w shackles or whatever.
Most fishermen use several feet of very heavy chain (frequently studded) followed by lighter heavy chain perhaps 10 to 50' and then nylon line. Some even use all chain but then lighter chain must be used. And of course the fishermen use very heavy anchors ... Forfjord's and Claws in that order of preference. Dreadnought's and Northill's are also popular.
This winch has chain reduction drive and could lift any anchor you'd ever consider putting on your boat.

Attachments

• STH71089 copy 2.jpg
    STH71089 copy 2.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Nice anchor on Prodigious, too.

Yes very nice indeed. A very good one too.

Here's a closer look.

I like the low position of the trip line attach hole.

Attachments

• DSCF0548 copy.jpg
    DSCF0548 copy.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 430
It's a Rocna 20, the same size we have on our boat (photo). Expand Eric's photo and you can read the label. And that's not the trip hole. The two holes in the shank are the attach points for a tandem anchor. The attach point for a trip line on a Rocna is the small hole you can see in the top of the fluke for a shackle. We leave a shackle per mantle in ours as you can see in the photo.

Tandem anchors are popular with a lot of boaters in the open, exposed anchorages common in the southwestern Pacific which is where Peter Smith did/does a lot of his boating. So he wanted to incorporate good attach points for a tandem anchor in his design, hence the two holes in the shank. The instructions that came with our Rocna illustrate how to use them.

An interesting thing in Eric's photo is that this fellow is using a swivel and, like a lot of boaters, he's installed it backwards thus leaving himself exposed to snapping the swivel pin if the boat gets off to the side of the anchor a bit and is pulling hard. With the swivel installed the way it is in the photo it can only pivot up and down in line with the shank. So any kind of sideways load will try to bend the swivel pin, which is not made to resist this kind of load. if the load gets high enough, the pin will simply snap and the boat will no longer be attached to the anchor.

When we installed a swivel on our old Bruce I put it on exactly the same way. Fortunately I read Earl Hinz's book soon after and turned it around properly and attached the swivel to the shank with a shackle so the swivel would always be in line with the rode no matter where the boat was in relation to the anchor.

However we soon eliminated the swivel altogether as it had no value to our operation and I believe the fewer components in an anchor setup the better.

image-25600036.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom