• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: Fully Restored 1983 Monk 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Our 1983 Monk 36 is back on the market.

Over 100 pictures online with full specs here but read on for a mildly detailed description of the work we have done:
Trawler Living Light on Yachtworld

Price: Just reduced to $79,900

We have poured an absurd amount of time, effort, money, love, care, money, sweat, and money (...did I mention money?) into "Living Light." She is hull #30 of the Monk 36 lineage. She was first commissioned in Newport Beach, CA (San Diego) area. She lived there until circa 1997 when she was relocated to Atlanta, GA and placed on Lake Lanier due to her owner relocating there. He was the 2nd owner, I am the 3rd. She lived on Lake Lanier under a cover roof slip with very light use in a 100% freshwater environment. She has not seen salt since leaving California in 1997 and any traces of salt use have long since been removed. We bought her on Lake Lanier and moved her to the Tennessee River about a month or so after that which was 2 years ago where she currently resides in Chattanooga under a covered slip.

Her refit over the last 2 years has been exhaustive and comprehensive. In fact, too comprehensive to list here but I have a 3 page list summarizing everything we have done. Some of the main highlights include the professional recoring of the foredeck and aft bridge deck (utilizing synthetic coring that will never rot or absorb water), painting entire topsides (decks, superstructure, flybridge, etc. basically everything from the handrails in) and transom, new layout for galley and new granite countertops and fixtures/appliances, converted forward stateroom from single double berth to port to bunk V-berths, lots of new electrical including internal wiring and converting from single 30 amp shore power to single 125/250 amp shore power, fixing engine fuel line leaks, pressure testing fuel tanks, new Marine Elegance freshwater flush head in aft head (regular electric in forward head) and much more. Immediately prior to our purchase, the previous owner had done the following: dripless shaft seal (bilge stays 100% dry!), exhaust system rebuilt, 2 new HVAC units with digital controls, rebuilt entire exhaust system, new poly water tanks (about 200 gallons), new holding tank (40 gallons), and more.

This vessel has had every system gone through from top to bottom and anything found questionable or lacking or problematic has been addressed and replaced.

We had her basically sold earlier this spring and the weekend everything was to happen a tornado as many of you here know, hit our marina. Living Light sustained some cosmetic damage that we have spent this summer repairing. Biggest issue was that her teak hand rails got beat up pretty good. So we removed all of those and replaced with custom fabricated 1.25" diameter stainless steel (not lesser quality 7/8" or 1" diameter material) and they look absolutely great and you would think they were installed at the factory. We also removed her built in double helm bench seat as it got banged up and it never really fit right in our opinion (didn't align with the helm real good and made flybridge feel smallish) so we removed it to open up the helm and entire flybridge which we have really enjoyed (tons more space).

1,900 hours on her single 135hp Perkins 6.354 diesel. 350 hours on her newer (not sure exact year but not original to boat) 8KW Northern Lights generator with sound shield. In over 200 hours use on the main engine and probably around 100 on the generator, I have literally never had to change a single fuel filter ever on this vessel so that should give you a good idea as to whether we have tank/fuel issues.

I would cruise this trawler anywhere a trawler of her class can go and after all we have done to her, have absolute faith in her in every regard.

All records are open book to buyer. If you are looking for a classic single screw trawler that has enjoyed loving and lavish ownership with no expense spared that is ready to cruise...here's your boat.

Contact me if interested. I really would like her to go to a good home. I own a yacht brokerage firm but this is our personal boat that my wife and I personally own and restored and only reason we are selling is due to buying our 45' pilothouse. I've been on a lot of older boats and a lot of older trawlers and this one will be found to be top notch by the most discriminating buyer. :cowboy:

A few pictures for TF but click on the link at the beginning of this post to see her in further detail.

3752920_-1_20120805114945_0_0.jpg

3752920_-1_20120805114945_4_0.jpg

3752920_-1_20120805114945_9_0.jpg

3752920_-1_20120805160457_2_0.jpg

3752920_-1_20120805160457_12_0.jpg

3752920_-1_20120805160457_22_0.jpg

3752920_-1_20111006213341_49_0.jpg

3752920_-1_20120805160457_17_0.jpg

3752920_-1_20111006213341_65_0.jpg

3752920_-1_20120805160457_26_0.jpg

Living the GOOD LIFE!
3752920_-1_20111006213638_9_0.jpg

Last edited:
She sure is a nice boat.Good luck with the sale.

Looks fantastic! Love that last photo. yum.

I have #31 and would love for mine to look as good!
Great job and good luck on the sale.

MT Nest-
Very cool you have hull #31. We are hull #30!

Price just reduced today to $89,900. Ready to get her sold. She is literally in my way. :) I have both my boats in a large covered slip and have to move the Monk to take our 45 out so time to sell her.

Considering how much work and money has gone into our Monk this is a ridiculous price but that's ok- whoever buys her will be getting a heck of a deal on a super great boat in top notch condition. Her biggest "negative" is lack of electronics but then again, that is a positive as well as you are not dealing with antique electronics that don't work and require a bunch of holes to be covered up at the helm stations.

Price reduced to only $85k!!! Kinda makes me wonder why I put so much time, money, and love into her at this point haha! Oh well- someone will get a nice trawler with lots of love in her.

Woodsong said:
Price reduced to only $85k!!! Kinda makes me wonder why I put so much time, money, and love into her at this point haha! Oh well- someone will get a nice trawler with lots of love in her.

Hopefully you loved every minute of it!! Beautiful boat, someone will be very lucky to have her.

Price just reduced to only $79,900!! What a steal! Good thing I didn't know I'd sell for so little as I put so much time, money, and effort into her! Oh well. A labor of love...what else can be said? :)

It is always sad to sell a boat that you have loved. When we sold our sailboat, we only got back about 30% of our investment in her... However, over the years that we had her, we got many times over 100% back in the joy we felt sailing her.

I think you will feel the same way about your wonderful trawler "Living Light" when she is finally sold!

If I transported her to the coast she would have already been sold. I've toyed with taking her down to our family's place on treasure island FL and I've toyed with just hauling her back to atlanta to keep her on the inland lake just a few minutes from our house but both sound like too much work. :)

Someone will get a special trawler and I'm good with that. Hopefully they will travel far and happily with her.

I wish I knew someone looking for a trawler like yours, 'cause I do know what a great deal she is!

I have a question though... when you mention being able to sell her more easily on the coast - and you mention Florida - I thought that there were so many boats available in Florida that some have said that boats are 'a dime a dozen'...

Last edited:
Susan,
yes boats are a dime a dozen so to speak in FL however, fully restored, excellent running condition, well taken care of boats are not a dime a dozen in FL. There is a larger buyer population there as well- not as many trawler folk on the TN River. She is thus still available. :)

I am not in a position to buy a boat right now. I have been dreaming and lurking on these boards for a year or so. Whenever I look for the "just right" boat, my search again and again returns to the Living Light.

The right age, size and even price. But then there is the whole "I live in Saudi Arabia" problem.

In any case, I wanted to compliment the OP on a fine boat and wish him the best of luck in selling it. (To someone else!)

Great name, by the way.

Woodsong, I'm curious about the granite countertops. You have a reach in storage bin, kindly referred to as the "hole" on my boat. How do you cover that? Is there a granite piece for that or is it always open?

If I transported her to the coast she would have already been sold. I've toyed with taking her down to our family's place on treasure island FL and I've toyed with just hauling her back to atlanta to keep her on the inland lake just a few minutes from our house but both sound like too much work. :)

Someone will get a special trawler and I'm good with that. Hopefully they will travel far and happily with her.

By keeping her on a landlocked lake you have removed at least 75% of your potential market.

By keeping her on a landlocked lake you have removed at least 75% of your potential market.

The boat is not on a landlocked lake. I sold a trawler here that went to Saugatuck Michigan on her on bottom. We get many Loopers here every fall.

I guess that assuming only makes an a** out of me...

:confused:

Not at all. In fact, I think that you were trying to help. Just thought I would clear it up. Hell, I've assumed wrongly many times. No harm done.

hello living light
we are looking at 36' trawlers and yours looks very nice. still for sale? catherine

SOLD!
A bitter sweet moment if there ever was one. She was a fine vessel that has a special place in our hearts. Buyer is taking her to Georgian Bay, Canada so you Canadians keep your eyes out for her!

I think this is going to be like your favorite car from back in the day in that down the road I am going to wish I never sold her...really, really loved this old trawler. I shall have to console myself with hunting for something in the 50'+ size range. :)

Fair winds Living Light, fair winds! May you bring as many blessings and more to your new owner as you brought to our lives.

I'm glad someone finally bought it!You did a first class job with the restoration and ongoing maint on that boat. It has to be bitter sweet.

I'm glad too. I can finally stop rationalizing ways to transport it to California.

Congrats on the sale.

Congratulations Tony. They will get a good push down the Tennessee. Probably be doing about 10 knots. Lot of crap in the river right now. It will be a different story up the Mississippi and Illinois.

My 36' MT sold and went to Saugatuck, MI. When it went through Chicago a friend was waiting in traffic at one of the draw bridges. He called me from his car to ask what I was doing in Chicago. Small world.

Living Light has many good years left. Hope they enjoy it. With all that cash next time I see you, you are buying.:D

Glad to hear it sold for you, Tony. Bittersweet, I'm sure. I hope that Bayliner is able to soothe your wounds of separation.

Glad to hear it sold for you, Tony. Bittersweet, I'm sure. I hope that Bayliner is able to soothe your wounds of separation.

Talk about separation anxiety, as soon as I see Tony I'm going to try to separate him from some of that cash.:D

Congrats on the sale of your Monk.

The new owner should have a great time with his beautiful trawler.

Wishing you and yours a fun and safe 2013 Boating Season.

JohnP

Great news but bittersweet! Hopefully she's going to a good home!

Congrats Tony! I felt the same way two years ago when we sold our 36'. It is after all a very good problem to have:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom