boats similar to 36ft grand Banks Europa ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Capthead, can you post a picture of the lowered cockpit?

Al, next Monday check out the GB42 woody on K-Dock. It has the drop cockpit. It's the one that pumps out diesel every time the bilge pump activates....the one that occasionally has floating skirted booms surrounding it!

Al, next Monday check out the GB42 woody on K-Dock. It has the drop cockpit. It's the one that pumps out diesel every time the bilge pump activates....the one that occasionally has floating skirted booms surrounding it!

Well then...it should be easy to spot!

Seriously, I'd like to see it to learn the differences from your immaculate 42 Classic.

Who owns that one? Or do you know the hull number?

Thanks, Al. I also like the drop cockpit and wish production had continued into later boats. Mark, once you see it I think you'll agree that the handrail across the transom isn't necessary.

" And as older GBs are damn near free in the overall scheme of things, it's a terrific value for the money if you don't care what it looks like."

I happen to really like the way they look. They are not "Free" but they are a good bang for the buck.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...access=Public&listing_id=10784&url=&imc=pg-fs

This 42Classic is a real Beauty.

Got to love the aft cabin with the split head arrangement.

Its got great refrigeration- engine and 110 driven

I even like the 135 lehmans ( no more 50hr injector pump oil changes)

Also set up with a washer dryer. Did I mention the in floor freezer?

Anyway for 119k or less, she looks fine to me.

JohnP

Went to look over boat today. It is a bank repo and in pretty rough shape.

Twin engine -turbo Volvos- not for me.

I like my eighties vintage IG seems better fit and finsh in the interior.

JohnP

Thanks for the comment. We were contemplating driving 12 hrs to look. We have seen too many rough ones already!

One came in our Marina yesterday. I was down in the bilge working as usual .My wife spotted it as it came. She hollered down to me " hurry up we have a boat to check out" (I love it when she says that). I came out of the bilge with the normal grease covered clothes and four or five hose clamp cuts.She said "clean yourself up ,slap on a couple of bandaids and put on the best thing you have." This one was from Maine and the best looking GB I have ever seen.

What is it that you guys like about that boat?

How is it better (or more attractive) than the GB Classic?

All I see is the covered side decks and that's not really a big deal ... Is it?

I prefer the GB like Marin's got by quite a wide margin.

I'd rather have the wide body version of the W30 (Voyager) than my walk around Nomad. Re this example the Nomad's a bit better looking though.

But what is it w those Europa's?

I'd rather have the wide body version of the W30 (Voyager) than my walk around Nomad. Re this example the Nomad's a bit better looking though.

Eric, check out this 42' Europa single screw. It offers about everything the 46 does except 2 heads. I really like them.

1998 Grand Banks Europa Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Eric, it is an aesthetic thing. The proportion on the GB46/47 Europa is just right!!! The 42 is close. The 52 Europa, while a very nice boat overall, just doesn't look right.The 36 isn't bad looking either. It just seems the 46 nails it proportionally. Now, something tells me you are about to receive a PM from Marin...because if he had his Choice, it would be a Europa as well. He likes them just like we do. Beautiful boats. And not just among the GB fleet. I think the GB46 Europa is damn near one of the finest looking boats on the water.

GB 47 Europa is definitely the homecoming queen of the GB lineup. Eric, I had a GB 36 classic under contract once even though I completely agree with Marin about how ugly they are. He was also right about their pricing, a lot of bang for the buck. Aesthetically I rank them GB 47, GB 32, GB 42 classic. The only 36 I've ever saw that I thought was really good looking was the one Larry photoshopped the flybridge off of IMO.

They are great boats, just not fond of their proportions is all.

I agree with Baker .This boat just looks right. I'm not much on a flybridge but on the 46 it looks more poportionate . When I look at this boat my eye dosen't focus on the flybridge.I look at the entire boat.You know you got to love looking at em.
My boat has decent side decks and I don't think I would want one without them.

Eric, here is why I like the Europa style cruisers. Covered aft decks that can essentially be enclosed for extra living area. It is basically one level living from front to back. Just a few steps down to the forward staterooms and heads. You give up the large aft state room, but to me the trade off is a better living area. I don't spend a great deal of time in the stateroom. The large bridge deck gives plenty of room for seating and storing a dinghy. All seating areas can be covered. That is the kind of living that suits me.

What I don't care for:

• smaller state rooms
  • staterooms do not have as good of separation
  • engine room is under the living room
  • kitchen is where a navigator station should be

Nothings perfect, but the Europa is close.

My choice against Europas....ladders and age.

I knew as I got older and so did my friends...ladders were definitely out. Classics are several steps...then a break...several more...then I'm there. Don't have to carry anything up a ladder...just put it on the cabin top....then when there...pick it up and put it on the fly bridge....home free no problem.

Plus after years of sharing space, staterooms and heads on USCG Cutters...the aft cabin and private heads were a must as well as galley down cause I don't wanna live in my kitchen.

But that's just me...

I knew as I got older and so did my friends...ladders were definitely out.
Ladders "are out" on newer GBs. The molded fiberglass steps, complete with side rails, are a thing of beauty. Not only is it easy to walk up to the fly bridge, the steps are hinged and when raised they provide an easy access to the ER.

As far as a "gargantuan" captain's state room being a definite plus, that's debatable. I would spend more time in the salon than in the state room. :blush:

Attachments

• GB 47 Steps.jpg
    GB 47 Steps.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 89
  • GB 47 steps 2.jpg
    GB 47 steps 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 87
Ladders "are out" on newer GBs. The molded fiberglass steps, complete with side rails, are a thing of beauty. Not only is it easy to walk up to the fly bridge, the steps are hinged and when raised they provide an easy access to the ER.

As far as a "gargantuan" captain's state room being a definite plus, that's debatable. I would spend more time in the salon than in the state room. :blush:

if you live aboard...you spend 1/3-1/2 of the day there...sleeping , showering/changing, getting stored items...etc...etc...if your lucky enough to still be in love/lust...:D...maybe even more...:thumb:

also if you live aboard....you need the storage with just isn't there on forward masters unless it's the only stateroom forward....then you don't have a guest room and many desire that also....

Who mentioned liveaboard? That's a horse of a different color.

The GB Europas are a beautiful boat... We had a GB36 Tri cabin.. nice to have the split staterooms but cut up. We really like the new Ocean Alexander Europa we recently got, nice salon, great flybridge, sweet rear covered deck.
Even when we had the 36 we longed for a Europa.. and the covered side deck and side gates are sweet.

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 104
It is basically one level living from front to back. Just a few steps down to the forward staterooms and heads. You give up the large aft state room, but to me the trade off is a better living area...... That is the kind of living that suits me.

Nothings perfect, but the Europa is close.
Couldn't agree more and as Flywright pointed out, "living aboard" wasn't what started this debate. "Being to old for ladders" was and I agree! I'm too old for ladders but have found the route to the flybridge and ER something I could definitely be comfortable with.

If you have never been aboard a GB 47, you owe it to yourself to see and tour one. Add in side by side births for your guests and it doesn't get much better at 47 feet.

Attachments

• GB 47 Salon.jpg
    GB 47 Salon.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Back Deck.jpg
    Back Deck.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 94
  • GB 47 Stateroom.jpg
    GB 47 Stateroom.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 101
I don't like climbing on a ladder or being swung on a flying bridge when the boat is rolling (notice my "death" grip):

img_180653_0_af0cd794a976d81dc17347e7efaa5300.jpg

All this debate over Europa covered side decks etc vs aft cabin staterooms etc has me thinking. Why one or the other :D

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 97
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG1217.jpg
    IMAG1217.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG1583.jpg
    IMAG1583.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20130605_180452.jpg
    20130605_180452.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I will say that one of the things that makes the GB 46/47's lines work is that large cockpit....which intrudes on interior space. Same goes with the wide side decks. I have seen some Taiwanese europas that have tired to maximize interior space by making the salon bigger and the cockpit smaller and it just doesn't look as good.

Who mentioned liveaboard? That's a horse of a different color.

All boats have the potential to turn into a liveaboard or at least long term cruisers for many people...just providing useful info...

That's why I usually label my perspective as a liveaboard and not just "generic" boating statements that may not be appropriate in all situations.

Eric, check out this 42' Europa single screw. It offers about everything the 46 does except 2 heads. I really like them.

1998 Grand Banks Europa Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Don what a beautiful boat. No doubt about it. I just look at them from afar and see just another boat mostly but up close .. very very nice. Now I see why you guys like them.

But I still don't like those vertical boards holding up the side roof. Would much rather have vertical SS tubes that visually disappear as you get 50' from the boat. The white slabs are always painted white and are visually just "in your face" but I realize that most people actually like them.

My other thing is personal too and that's the side decks and loss of space. One of my favorite boats is the very wide body Pacific Trawler. But the're not as good looking as the GBs, the wheelhouse is too far fwd and they are too much a planing hull but I really like the boat. I like the superb visibility. Everyone's taste is different.

There was a 42' Europa two berths down from me a while back, she was for sale and I went over her quite a few times.

It did not trigger that 'must have' moment for me. I found for a boat of that size the cabin was very narrow and the space poorly utilised.Mind you it was the older vertical ladder style, and the boat was in need a some TLC.

However I went over the 55 GB pilot house(I think it was a 55) at the last Sydney boat show, and that was definitely a boat that dreams are made of.It has replaced the Fleming 55 on my 'If only' list.(sorry a slight thread hijack I fear)

Back
Top Bottom