Galley cooking stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hansondl

Vessel Name
Ring of Fire
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
Would the Induction type cook top may a good replacement to the Electric/Alcohol combo? I just bought a Mainship 34 1984 and not very happy with the E/A combo!:dance:

Induction is very nice- as long as you either have a) a battery bank of sufficient capacity or b) don't mind running the genset when it's time to cook.

We went from electric to propane and couldn't be happier.

Would the Induction type cook top may a good replacement to the Electric/Alcohol combo? I just bought a Mainship 34 1984 and not very happy with the E/A combo!:dance:

I think it take alot of amps, like 30 to 40 whcih most boats do not have. On a boat you have to watch the amp demand.

When convert to propane to reduce the amp demand.
:flowers:

Last edited:

We had an 1981 Mainship that we converted from electric to propane. The new stove, we bought at an RV dealer, was almost a direct drop in. We put the propane cylinder under the port fly-bridge seat which we sealed, vented and added a solenoid. We did a few other things to bring it in to compliance with ABYC recommendations but none where very difficult. Like Peter, :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
I couldn't figure out anywhere to put propane tanks so installed a smooth surface Kenyon electric stove.

I've seen single induction burners that sit on the counter and plug into the wall outlet?? Not sure how much juice they'd take??

If you can power an induction cooktop it can be very nice assuming you like cooking with electricity. We don't. Well, my wife doesn't--- I don't cook.

Fortunately we have propane on the boat with a Force 10 stove/oven that we had installed the week after buying the boat. No need to run a generator or feed an inverter with big battery banks. We have two propane bottles in the locker up top so the inconvenience of running out of propane halfway through cooking a meal is a non-issue. And from the cooking standpoint I'm told that gas is far superior to electric mainly because of its instant response either adding or removing heat.

I've also been told by professional chefs that there are a bunch of other advantages to using gas/propane, but it's not a subject I really care about so I've forgotten what those other advantages are.:) But apparently they are important enough to someone who really likes cooking to have caused us to spend a whole bunch of money converting our kitchen at home from electricity to gas a back in January. Prior to doing this, my wife's favorite place to cook was the boat.

Last edited:
Just bought a single induction burner (called an "induction cooktop") and it runs 1800 watts max. You can dial in how hot you want it to get, so the maximum heat would be 1800 watts, which translates into about 15 amps at 110 volts. My little Yahama inverter will run it, and certainly shore power will not even know it is there. But if I were going to cruise again (which I am not -- been there, done that!) then I would agree with previous posters about propane.

John

so the maximum heat would be 1800 watts, which translates into about 15 amps at 110 volts.

15A at 110v does not include 10% or so loss from the inverter.

t best that 15A/110V will translate to a minimum of 150A at 12V which is a heck of a load on a house battery set.

Frankly unless the boat has an extraordinary house bank , the set will be dead in under an hour.

For a single wire alt the recharge would be 4 -5 hours.

t best that 15A/110V will translate to a minimum of 150A at 12V which is a heck of a load on a house battery set.

No disagreement. However, just to be precise about my posting, I used the word "inverter" to mean a small gasoline-powered inverter-generator. Used in the conventional sense, as an inverter which is powered only by the battery, then of course that would be different.

John

If you're planning on replacing with electric, then induction uses less energy than other electric cook tops. You will need to make sure your cookware works - needs to be magnetic. Also, the surface does not get hot.

I used the word "inverter" to mean a small gasoline-powered inverter-generator.

Most folks in the USA would call that a genset ,or generator not an inverter.

Me , I call it a noisemaker , but then I'm a sailor at heart so propane cooking and reefer for brown water where refills are easy.

OR a Primus double gymboled kerosene stove would be my choice, world cruising ,offshore.

will a Honda 2000 have enough umph to supply the power to a inductor cooktop?

Depends on how many watts the inductor cooktop uses. If it uses less than 2000, then yes. Mine uses 1800 watts maximum (full power).

I used the word "inverter" to mean a small gasoline-powered inverter-generator.

Most folks in the USA would call that a genset ,or generator not an inverter.

Probably not the first time most folks in the USA have been wrong, huh? :)
Perhaps we need to coin a new word -- "genverter."

A generator is a generator. An inverter is an inverter. And a genverter is a combination of both a generator and an inverter, in one package.

I find the design really fascinating. The generator part generates AC electricity, which goes into a rectifier bridge to change it to DC electricity, which then goes to the inverter part where it is changed back to AC again. Sounds inefficient, but turns out to be a lot better than just a generator alone.

Whisper Power has introduced a shipping product that does just that - variable speed generator that had a black box that massages the power to a perfect 120 VAC/60 hz. Plus, these units can be ganged together for more power. Plus, the black box is the battery charger and inverter - if you're plugged in to shore and your loads exceed available current, this device inverts some battery power adding it to your shore power. Or starts the generator when battery is not sufficient. Works on any shore power world wide.

Whisper Power has introduced a shipping product that does just that - variable speed generator that had a black box that massages the power to a perfect 120 VAC/60 hz. Plus, these units can be ganged together for more power. Plus, the black box is the battery charger and inverter - if you're plugged in to shore and your loads exceed available current, this device inverts some battery power adding it to your shore power. Or starts the generator when battery is not sufficient. Works on any shore power world wide.

Whoa, sounds great!! I'll have to check that out ! (I'm convinced that boat people are the biggest gadget lovers in the world. :)

Not yet available in the U.S.

Just checked their website. They had already used my "genverter" word. :-( Drat!

Induction is the fastest and most efficient means of cooking so if you are comparing induction versus conduction cook tops the induction wins hands down. Most people familiar with old conductive cook tops will be amazed how much faster Induction can heat up.

Electric versus propane is another argument. Although a small induction cook top could be run off a large battery bank for a short time you almost have to have a generator running or shore power connection. Propane works better when your away from shore power and don't want to run the generator. On the other hand propane tanks have to be refilled periodically, they heat up the inside of the boat more and produce steam, which is sometimes unwanted.

Keep in mine that Induction cook tops require induction compatible pans, so you might need to replace some or all of your pans.

The Honda eu2000i is rated for 2000W peak/1600W continuous. This translates to 13.3 amps continuous (120V). If you really need 1800W continuous for the induction cooktop, the Honda eu2000i won't cut the mustard.

Yamaha has the EF2400 which is rated for 2400W peak/2000W continuous. This would be a better choice for an 1800W load.

The Honda eu2000i is rated for 2000W peak/1600W continuous. This translates to 13.3 amps continuous (120V). If you really need 1800W continuous for the induction cooktop, the Honda eu2000i won't cut the mustard.

Yamaha has the EF2400 which is rated for 2400W peak/2000W continuous. This would be a better choice for an 1800W load.

No disagreement whatsoever -- the EF2400 would be the better choice in that case. However, I will just mention in passing that the induction cooktop is adjustable from zero heat to maximum heat (unfortunately, usually in increments rather than continuous) so just using a lower setting would make it use less power. For someone who might already have the Honda 2000 that would be an option when using an induction cooktop with 1800 watts at full power. Just dial it down some.

Last idea seems a good so
Union!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Solution

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Propane allows 3 or 4 burners , has instantly adjustable heat settings and usually gas an oven of modest size.

The sail boat swinging models are best if installed outboard parallel to the boats sides.

A fixed range is OK if bulkhead mounted as an errant hot pot doesnt get tossed AT the cook.

One burner cooking is not even usual for a 22 ft trailer boat , it is a crude lifestyle , tho with enough power a microwave can help.

I think it take alot of amps, like 30 to 40 whcih most boats do not have. On a boat you have to watch the amp demand.

Old thread...

Do induction cooktops draw more current than earlier electric cooktops?

OP already has electric cooktops...

FWIW, I've planned to replace our glass-top burners with induction if the originals ever crap out. Yes, we have to run the genset to cook, but OTOH, we also have to run the genset to recharge batteries, and we can usually manage to time those to activities together easily enough...

-Chris

so the maximum heat would be 1800 watts, which translates into about 15 amps at 110 volts.

Frankly unless the boat has an extraordinary house bank , the set will be dead in under an hour.

This is correct.

And once the batteries are "dead" they have been permanently damaged.

Trying to beat a boat or a stove with an inverter and battery bank is a loosing proposition except for short bursts like a microwave, coffee maker or hair drier.

I will admit to running an electric heater on low a couple times when it was really cold but the boat was underway and the batteries were being charged as they were being used.

Back
Top Bottom