Stolen Props

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scary

Guru
Vessel Name
Cary'D Away
Vessel Make
Hatteras 48 LRC
Last Monday night I had two 28x22 three blade bronze props stolen and a 8 hp pressure washer. My boat is on the hard at Ladd's Marina in Stockton Ca while while I do a bottom job. They jackasses the pressure washer over a 6' steel fence on top of a 3' retaining wall at 1.30 am and returned for the props just before 5 am. We have it on surveillance camera. The yard is secured by a 6' spiked steel fence and several livaboards as well as the owners. I should have put them in a storage room or in the boat. I have contacted most of the recyclers and larger repair yards. Bronze scraps for over $2 a pound. The replacement cost is over $2000 each. The props weigh around 60lb each. If anybody in the Ca delta region hears anything about these props I would appreciate being contacted. I have been working in the the yard on an old Chris for almost 8 months without any problems with theft So I was getting pretty laid back about securing things. These props are so uncommon I figured who would steel them. If anybody hears anything please leave me a message.

Attachments

• IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 90
Last Monday night I had two 28x22 three blade bronze props stolen and a 8 hp pressure washer. My boat is on the hard at Ladd's Marina in Stockton Ca while while I do a bottom job. They jackasses the pressure washer over a 6' steel fence on top of a 3' retaining wall at 1.30 am and returned for the props just before 5 am. We have it on surveillance camera. The yard is secured by a 6' spiked steel fence and several livaboards as well as the owners. I should have put them in a storage room or in the boat. I have contacted most of the recyclers and larger repair yards. Bronze scraps for over $2 a pound. The replacement cost is over $2000 each. The props weigh around 60lb each. If anybody in the Ca delta region hears anything about these props I would appreciate being contacted. I have been working in the the yard on an old Chris for almost 8 months without any problems with theft So I was getting pretty laid back about securing things. These props are so uncommon I figured who would steel them. If anybody hears anything please leave me a message.

I would go to the local scrap metal yards in the area. When we get metal taken its usually the expensive medal sold for a quick cash. Call the police as its probably common and they can assist you.

Keep a eye on Craig's list & eBay for them, good luck

Done the above

It took the Stockton police 12 hrs to respond. Their advice be prepared for a return attack, Check Craig's list notify local marine repair yards.

I'll put the word out with my contacts but they are limited. Good luck, hope you find them in one piece.

That really sucks, Steve. I'll watch Craigslist for them.

Sucks, I hate thief's. I know its not justified but ya should be able to shoot them on sight, like looters (whats the difference?).

Yard have any insurance, what does your agent say?

One of my good friends had his dinghy stolen right around July 4th last year. His motor and the steering console (it was a very distinctive console that is easily identified) from that dinghy just showed up on craigslist last week. Kind of like the layaway plan for thieves.

That sucks! Thieves are every where. The Stockton police response was atrocious.

Tony, was that stolen at Island Cove?

I am telling you they were sold for scrap, quick money. The main thing they take at the plant is the big welding cables, but we installed lasar, and noise alarms which the police respong to with a K-9 which they send in first. They don't take the regular steel as it not worth taking. I would contact the metal scap in the area.

The Everett police respond with in 15 minutes 24/7. Its really funny to be able to hear them especialy when the dog attacks. We can track them through the plant. Also the Everett police respond quick to the marina also.

The policr proable have a good idea who took them as its the same group over and over again.

Last edited:
I hate thieves and liars. Sorry to see they hit you on the hard. I hope you find them but if you don't there's a real good store here in Newport Beach called Minneys you can call and see if they might have replacements in stock. He sells used props and stocks many at Minneys.

MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS - WE MAKE BOATING AFFORDABLE

That sucks! I am so sorry that happened, I hope they turn up at one of the yards you called! are the security camera photos good enough to ID the guys with?

I am telling you they were sold for scrap, quick money...

I'm not so sure. These guys knew how to pull propellers. That's a big difference than just ripping up cable. And the pressure washer? They were after big dollar items.

In 2007, I sold 2 heat exchangers and a beat up prop to the scrap dealer just north of Everett. I had to fill out a form, they photo copied my drivers license and vehicle registration. They then paid me with a check dated 2 days in the future. Quick easy money? For $60.00? The scrap yard was a wreck, but they had records of every transaction.

That sucks! Thieves are every where. The Stockton police response was atrocious.

Tony, was that stolen at Island Cove?

Don,
No- they keep their boat at ICM in winter but in summer they keep their boats at their house up on the Hiawassee when the depths allow it so the dinghy was stolen from the dock at his house.

Don,
No- they keep their boat at ICM in winter but in summer they keep their boats at their house up on the Hiawassee when the depths allow it so the dinghy was stolen from the dock at his house.

Well then I'm not that surprised. There are some good folks in Meigs County, but they have more than their share of unsavory characters. I had a friend with a lake house on the Meigs County side of Watts Bar Lake. He had to put in all kind of security.

The Everett police respond with in 15 minutes 24/7. Its really funny to be able to hear them especialy when the dog attacks. We can track them through the plant. Also the Everett police respond quick to the marina also.

The policr proable have a good idea who took them as its the same group over and over again.

Phil have you not heard anything about the financial mess that Stockton is in? The town government seams to be very screwed up.

Phil have you not heard anything about the financial mess that Stockton is in? The town government seams to be very screwed up.

...and the police force has been reduced to the point that it is top heavy with rookie cops. The experienced officers bailed for more financially sound departments when the financial crisis hit. About a year ahead of the bankruptcy filing.

Frankly, I'm impressed they responded at all.

Stockton has been on the news here in LA. I get the impression it's a drug haven from this side of the news. Meth and such. It's like Riverside and San Bernardino here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom