View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #22
aronhk_md

City: New Castle, Delaware
Vessel Name: Belladonna
Vessel Model: Monark 58 custom
FF - I agree with all your recommendations for insulating, and the inefficiency of boats in general. But while I'm there with you on the heating systems you mentioned, and agree they are good...I think we are forgetting one.

While I agree that pellet stoves would not be ideal for some boat layouts, and maybe not as neat and slick as some boiler systems, especially those with radiant heat in the floor, a pellet stove similar to the one I mentioned has some advantages. On the bright side, its like having a fireplace on board and could be quite lovely in the evening on a cold, rainy winter day...or any other cold day. Sitting having dinner, watching a movie while watching the shadows from the fire and the flames leap and dance.

1) At $3000 for the unit its inexpensive. Figure another several hundred $'s in air ducts and fans, insulated if going through a cold space. Then there is exhaust piping.
2) Fuel is inexpensive. I envision being able to heat a boat my size for under $600 during the entire winter here in Delaware. It DOES get cold here. In my old 1800 sq ft house I went from paying $400 a month in oil or $2200 a year to $550 in pellets and $400 in oil.
3) 40,000 BTU's is a nice max heat output.
4) Thermostat controlled
5) Battery backup
6) Fill the hopper once and ignore it for 12-36 hrs depending
7) 185 lbs with a 20x20 inch footprint isn't bad!

1) The bags are heavy and you need someplace to store them. I don't think this option is for everyone just for that reason.
2) The hopper DOES require being filled, which is work...whether every

Even accounting for a boat that has little insulation, there is plenty of heat being produced if you can just move it around. Lots of boats are already set up to do this with A/C.

The trick I think is to find in duct fans for those systems that don't make much noise. Most bilge blowers are noisy, so that may be out, depending where they would be located. But they do make them for homes...used to boost heat and A/C to areas far from the main source. This may take some experimentation to find the best equipment for the purpose.

But I also think it hasn't been explored. There are two threads and two threads only mentioning pellet stoves on this forum. This one and one other.

Take an average trawler layout. Often it has a midships salon/galley with forward and aft staterooms. So placing the pellet stove in the salon facing the galley might be ideal to keep that space toasty. At that point one has to figure out how to either use the existing ducts for the staterooms with blowers or create new openings.

I just think there may very well be a place for these systems on the water in some people's boats. An alternative to spending $15,000+. Will it require some compromises? Probably. Experimentation? Yes. The two threads on here very well indicate how few people have tried it.

Is insurance a concern? It might be, especially for some. Its an unknown. OFB in post #2 of this thread said, "Mom in law changed out the diesel heater I installed on her conversion to a pellet stove and just never looked back staying nice and warm with little hassel or mess. Surveyed fine and insurable."

Doesnt mean someone might not have a problem. But they ARE mobile home approved, and personally I think of those things as flammable junk. Still, there are more regulations regarding mobile homes and what is legal for heating than there are for boats.

For $3000+ I am thinking I may try it. I have 400 or so square ft of interior space and probably 200 sq ft of machinery space. The unit should be capable of heating that at most times running at about 75% capacity (or a medium setting if you were not using a thermostat) in 30 degree weather even with the relatively poor insulation on board. As long as I can move the air. If it doesn't work as expected I'll move it to my home as I loved the one I had in my old place.
aronhk_md is offline   Reply With Quote