Salon Remodel Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I ripped out the old carpeting and made new floor boards. The floor boards (8 total) make up about 95% of the floor. They are Teak and Holly Plywood.
I built a new settee from plywood and veneered it with walnut. Then sprayed with furniture grade lacquer.
The cushions and back were professionally made by a local upholsterer. We used very expensive stuff called "Ultra leather". Feels so nice and soft.
Since we are live-aboards, we want to be comfortable.
Total cost for salon was around $1500. Other than the upholstery, I did all the work.

Attachments

• Before Remodel pic 1.jpg
    Before Remodel pic 1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Before Remodel pic 2.jpg
    Before Remodel pic 2.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 133
  • New Cabin Sole pic 1.JPG
    New Cabin Sole pic 1.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 156
  • New Cabin Sole pic 2.JPG
    New Cabin Sole pic 2.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 116
  • New Settee pic 1.JPG
    New Settee pic 1.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 133
  • New Settee pic 2.JPG
    New Settee pic 2.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 122
I should think that you are happy with the results. Terrific looking and appears to be quite a comfortable living space.

Wow! What a great job! Any chance you could ease on over to Alabama to help redo mine? By the way I believe it's "saloon," rather than "salon." A "salon" is a place where you get your hair done. My guess is 99% of boaters, and half the boating magazines here in the US make the same mistake.

Wow! What a great job! Any chance you could ease on over to Alabama to help redo mine?
Yes, I will be right there. If I'm late, start without me. Tony B

By the way I believe it's "saloon," rather than "salon." A "salon" is a place where you get your hair done. My guess is 99% of boaters, and half the boating magazines here in the US make the same mistake.

Way back when, I always seen 'salon' in print. It wasn't until relatively recently that I see the word 'saloon'. Your post got me curious so I looked it up in online dictionaries. Other than the obvious difference of the hairdressing and drinking establishment thing, just about every dictionary definition of both words defines them as a drawing room, reception area or gathering place. The word 'salon' is based on the French word.
Other than in cowboy movies, the only person that I ever heard call a bar a saloon was my grandfather. Oddly enough, that was the only word in English he ever knew.

BTW, how is Pirates Cove? I havent been there in about 12 years or so.
When I bought my first sailboat, a 25 Macgregor, around 20 years ago I taught myself to sail by leaving Gulfport, Ms. with Pirates Cove as my final destination. That was the first time me and GF were ever even on a sailboat except for motoring it about a couple hundred yards. We actually made it there alive, loved the place and decided to continue on to Panama City. It was a great and memorable 2 weeks of our first sail.

Last edited:
Very nice work. Looks like a new boat. Seams more spacious too.:thumb:

Thanks for the Compliments folks.

And yes, it does feel and look bigger. That old sleeper sofa took up all the room. It's amazing how fast I figure out that the settee is a great storage area for tools. What's more amazing is how fast the Admiral discovered it was a great place for dry food storage. Her logic being that since it is on top of the engine hatches and will have to be moved for engine access, it should be kept light as possible. Don't you just hate when they throw your own arguments back at you?
Anyway, it's Sunday morning I am typing this from the SALON. By noon, I will have a beer in this very spot known as the SALOON.

Very very nice, the boat looks a lot bigger. You have "golden" hands.

Back
Top Bottom