new member, new boat: Monark 58

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aronhk_md

Vessel Name
Belladonna
Vessel Make
Monark 58 custom
Hi everyone!

Belladonna is a pretty (to me. lol) 1969 58 ft trawler I fell in love with while pursuing something in the 40 ft range. She is 52 ft on deck, with a 4'10" bow pulpit and a 3 ft swim platform, so overall she's 60' and is listed as a 17' beam but I've been over her carefully and can only find 16 feet of beam max at the hull extrusions on the sides. Cabin is only 11' wide with catwalks 2' wide on either side. She is aluminum hulled and doesnt really have a "waist" to speak of since aluminum is hard to shape.

She was called a trawler in her sale ad, and I would agree, though I'm not sure the average head boat in the fishing fleets would be described as a trawler, and she definitely resembles them. Not surprising when you consider Monark built work, crew and patrol boats for 50 years.

Interior common area living spaces are nice and reasonably spacious, but the master cabin and guest cabin with twin bunks are quite small for a boat this size. Layout has been changed over the years and I will likely change back closer to original, but I'd like to live with it a while before making major changes. Right now there is a single large head.

Upper deck is large at 30x11, and covered with an aluminum framed and arched fiberglass top forward, and aft...with a canvas retractable 12 ft section in the middle near the davits. It has occurred to me that I may wish to extend the upper deck over the catwalks as many yachts are laid out....this would give me an enormous 30x15 ft upper deck and wouldnt be a very difficult enhancement. But again, I'll live with it a while before changing anything.

For power I had hoped to have something more fuel efficient, but I will live with the 6-71 diesels since I do not plan to be making long distance trips with her. Mostly local day trips in the upper chesapeake are what I envision. Evenings out on the water with friends. I have even considered moving aboard and seeing how I like it.

I havent made the final decision yet, but most likely home will be Summit North Marina in the C&D canal.

Attachments

• bow.JPG
    bow.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 184
  • monark4.JPG
    monark4.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 195
  • stern2.JPG
    stern2.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 148
  • stern3.JPG
    stern3.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 162
  • upper deck.JPG
    upper deck.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 176
  • salon.JPG
    salon.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 164
  • galley.JPG
    galley.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 153
  • master stateroom.JPG
    master stateroom.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 145
  • guest cabin.JPG
    guest cabin.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 139
  • head1.JPG
    head1.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 158
Welcome aboard. Nice rig!

Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with Monark boats, but for sure, you've got the most upper deck entertainment area I've seen on that style of hull. I mean, man.....you could have church services up there.

I see that MonArk has become Sea Ark Boats, a serious builder of Military, Police and utility work boats, as you pointed out was in MonArk's history. I imagine you must have one of the few cruiser styles made, or perhaps even a conversion. Good luck with it.

Attachments

• Sea Ark boats.jpg
    Sea Ark boats.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome! MonArk had a houseboat division, and thats who built this...but it was probably the same people working on both houseboats and commercial craft. Its built like a commercial boat in every way. This one was built as a custom from the start and not converted.

Yes, the upper deck is enormous...you cant even see all of it in the picture. You cant see past the built in BBQ with the overhead fan. Theres another 12 feet beyond that. Can you imagine how wide it would be if I extended the upper deck out over the catwalks?

Very nice boat, welcome aboard

Thanks Victor!

Let me join in welcoming you aboard!

If you go to Summit North, stop by and visit, we're here too.

I'll do that, thanks! I'd ask which slip but I'll recognize that beautiful boat easily. You'll probably notice my monstrosity too. lol

Welcome. It looks like a very comfortable boat you have. New Castle is a lovely town. Is Jessop's Tavern still there? They had great bread pudding.:thumb:

Thanks for the welcome! Hmmm...I dont know about Jessops Tavern. Is it in old New Castle? New Castle aside from the town is also the whole upper county of DE. I lived in Pike Creek for years, but just recently returned from spending 4.5 yrs in lower Delaware.

Aron(I'm assuming it is Aron), somebody stole your loo.

And as we say down here G'day. Must be fun docking in a cross wind.I think you mentioned she has twins, any thrusters?

G'day Andy! Yes I am Aron, and the previous owner took the toilet, and much other new and expensive equipment before the boat was repossessed from him. All the electronics are gone, the generator, 4 solar panels, etc. I located then contacted him after the purchase and he plans to sell the stuff so I may be able to negotiate the purchase of some of it. Really quite interested in the solar panels and the custom mount he made for them...wondering what their output was capable of.

She is really quite a sail isn't she with all that freeboard? With the maroon enclosure panels you see in the pictures down she shouldn't be quite as bad, but I do expect her to be a handful in wind. Yes twins, but no thrusters though :D

Welcome, she looks real good, get ready, with all that room on top you'll be the center of every sunset cocktails get together!

Thanks Steve! I don't think I'll mind being the social center as long as I don't always have to clean up by myself! lol I like people, so its not a bad thing, and there IS lots of room up there. Might have to think about a larger waste tank though! :D

Some pics of the upper deck as she is shaping up.

Attachments

• CIMG3591.jpg
    CIMG3591.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 147
  • CIMG3597.jpg
    CIMG3597.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 172
  • CIMG3606.jpg
    CIMG3606.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 139
Now that's what I call an entertainment deck! Where's the band?

The upper deck is one thing I fell in love with. Before I put anything up there I had comments about the "dance floor" lol. Two possible future changes...

I think I want to move the grill. Just put a grill off to one side instead of the center of the deck. Should really open it up.

Have also thought about extending the upper deck out over the lower deck catwalks. Would take the current 11x30 upper deck and make it 15x30. Now THAT would be huge. Plenty of room for a band. lol

I saw this one on the hard at Port Annapolis last fall, and am so glad to see that someone bought her and is giving the attention she deserves.

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on the new boat! If I had one with that much space I would definitely consider living aboard her!

John

Back
Top Bottom