Pacific Trawler Owners Information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay N

Guru
Vessel Name
WESTERLY
Vessel Make
1974 Pacific Trawler 37
For those interested in communicating their names/addresses/contact information to be included in a List of Owners, please email me.* I have been trying to keep a list together for several years, but boats get sold, and I don't always hear of the new names of*owners and boats.

This is a also a great spot to discuss any specific Pacific Trawler related issue outside of the topics included elsewhere in this forum.

Thanks,* Jay - WESTERLY

I'd like to introduce ourselves. We are John and Lori Gailey and we currently live in Central Oregon. We are considering purchasing a PT and would appreciate getting to know other owners, hear opinions, etc.

We come from a sailing background. We owned a sailboat and cruised Mexico for a year about 8 years ago, and look forward to returning to living aboard and cruising the PNW and beyond.

New to Trawler Forum, Dave & Jean Looy.* We have been looking at trawler boats for 4 years know. The Pacific Trawler PT40 fits our needs for the Pacific North West.* After 25 years on and off Fisheries Patrol Vessels a raised pilot house was a must for me.We live in Campbell River B.C. and are looking at and for a PT40. Any information or contacts re PT40s that may be looking for new owners would be appreciated. Jean prefers the larger galley forward without the 2nd stateroom layout, so do I. Any info on things to watch for on our inspections would be very helpful.* It is off season now but any PT40 owners going thru drop us a email. Thanks Dave

Hi*John &*Lori,

A little history:* About 20 hulls were built (Pacific Trawler 37) in S California from 1973 to 1976, a Blaine Seeley design.* There were several wooden boats slightly narrower built earlier in Japan.* The molds came to Puget Sound and one hull was produced in 1979 afterwhich they remained unused until Pacific Trawler Corp started making them again in 1996.* By 2003, they had produced about 35 hulls, with some models extended to 40 feet in addition to a 3 foot transom step.* There is a mix of interior designs and flying bridge options.

Like all used boats, you need to consider how well the vessel has been maintained.* Certainly good surveys are important.* You can sometimes find one of the newer boats available for charter.

We have taken WESTERLY to SE Alaska twice in the past 10 years.* Overall, it is a very good set of compromises for this type of cruising.* The size and design*seems to attact former sailors, but I can't comment on the live-aboard aspect, but know that a few couples have done this.

You can contact me at cjnmaritime@comcast.net if desired.* Best Regards,* Jay

Hi Dave,

There is quite a variety of interior designs in all boats regardless of age.* You'll have to contact each boat "for sale" to see if it fits your needs.* Check on Yachtworld.com for a list of Pacific Trawlers for sale.* When I checked there a couple of weeks ago, there were 6-7 boats listed.

Good Luck!**** Jay

I own a '76 Pacific Trawler (currently Key Largo I) in North Vancouver. I bought her in 05 from Bill Tenant of Sydney.* I'm interested in keeping in touch with other owners.

Hi Colin,

I have your email, and will send you the owners list.* It has not generally been updated*since last summer, please send me any changes that you may know about.

Best Regards,* Jay

Hi Jay,

Just happened to find you on trawlerforum....Hello, also to Colin. It's nice to have a PT forum again.

We didn't get many hours on MH last summer but did manage to remove and install a new holding tank. Ugh, what a job..the removal that is, not the installation of a 28 gal Sealand unit. After 30 odd yrs of*use the built-in fibreglass tank was a little hum-m-m-m-my, shall we say. The Admiral is really happy now!

Perhaps we'll see you around the PNW this year.

Regards,

Bruce
MARIE HELENE
37 PT 1975 #6
Delta, BC

Hi Bruce & Helene,*

Happy New Year.

Needless to say, we didn't get out hardly at all last summer, the price to pay for going to SE in 2007.* It was a great adventure with you.

Anyway, will be around this summer from time-to-time, will probably stay S of Campbell River.* Get in touch when you have a cruising schedule worked out.* Best Regards,* Jay***** cjnmaritime@comcast.net

Hi Bruce
Glad to hear things are going well for you.* Hope to see you on the water this summer.*

Colin

Congrats there Preakness!!!!

Shannon and Will,

Did you purchase Leila B.? Just wondering as we'd been looking at it on YachtWorld for quite a while then noticed it was gone.

Best wishes!

Hi Jeff,* are you the Jeff that I recently emailed?* Anyway, was out enjoying the boat and just picked up on your request.*

If you're not the same Jeff, which PT37 are you going to see?* There were a couple made during 1976.

Hi Jay

This is Colin Dunwoody.* I have a 1976 Pacific Trawler (was Key Largo 1, now "SNAFU too" ) and am thinking of repowering from the Lehman to a 225 John Deere.* I see (from some info on the owners list) that you are running a 210 hp Cummins.* I am interested in your experience with repowering.

-did you gain much speed?* I currently run at 1750rpm at about 7.4kt.* on the Lehman with a 2.01-1 reduction.* I have a 1 3/4 inch diameter prop shaft and a 24 X 16 prop.* What is your cruise speed and max speed?

How was it getting the engine out and back in?* through the pilot house door or ...?
Did you have to change the prop shaft or prop?

What transmission reduction do you run?* What prop shaft diameter?* what prop size/pitch?

Any other major changes?

-how did your fuel economy change?

Are you happy with the boat with the repower?

I appreciate your input as I am still deciding whether to proceed.

Thanks
Colin

Hi Colin,

I understand that the 225 John Deere is a very good engine, although it is very hard to beat the Lehman, especially if you just need to rebuild it.* 10-12,000 hours prior to rebuild is not uncommon.* Parts are still obtainable, according to other cruisers I know with Lehmans.

The 210 Cummins in WESTERLY was installed by the previous owner to replace a 150HP Bedford, so I don't have direct experience with the repowering.

However, I know that the*engine and gear exchange was made through the pilot house top, a fiberglass patch*is completely hidden under non-skid deck coating.

The same 1-3/4" shaft was used, but the engine was located further forward so a small jack shaft was installed, but I ended up removing it when replacing the shaft a few years ago.

I'm sure that there was not any gain in speed, as the sweet spot for this hull is very close to 7.4 knots.* I run at 1750 rpm to make that speed with a 2.66:1 reduction and*24 x 23 4-blade prop.* The engine consumes around 2.5gph which means an engine output of around 45HP.* Max cruise speed is 9.5kts.

For some of the newer Pacific Trawlers installed with 330+HP and fixed trim tabs at the stern, planing*is possible*at around 12 knots with a fuel burn of around 15 gph.

How fast do you want to go?* Or do you just want to have a more modern engine producing the horsepower to go 7.4 kts?

According to my FloScan meter and speed log:* 1600 7.0 kts 2.0 ghp, 1700 7.3 kts 2.3 gph, 1800 rpm 7.5 kts, 2.7 gph, 2000 rpm*7.8 kts, 4.0gph, 2200 rpm 8.4 kts 6gph and 2600 rpm 9.4 kts 10gph.

This*is a good size engine for this boat, as*it*is not overloaded for its service level.

Good luck.****Jay N***

We, Curt and Susie Schofield, are seriously looking at a Pacific Trawler on the East Coast.She's a 2000 40' open transom model. *We cross the Gulf Stream visiting the Bahamas and I wonder if the rear bulkhead doors will handle serious water over the swim step? *I was told of rumors that the 40 does not track well. *Can any owners give me feed back on these two concerns?

We currently live on Inamorata, a 1985 35' PT Overseas. *As I understand it was manufactured by Cheerman Bros in Taiwan. *She's a raised stern deck, galley down with two Lehmans.

Thanking you in advance for any information.
Curt

What is the name of the PT 40 that you are interested in? Have you looked at her yet?

Hi Curt and Susie,

According to a couple of owners in my area with the open transom model, they report that they do not experience loading up of waves on the stern deck.* But it's important to note that they essentially cruise in protected waters, with only occassional ocean crossing exposure.* What water does collect on the stern deck tends to unload quickly.

The models here have fairly rugged Diamond SeaGlaze aft cabin doors that can be dogged, and I would think that they would be up to the task under most conditions.

Like almost all semi-displacement boats with hard chines aft and square sterns, the boat has*unstable steering.* Meaning that they do not track unattended.* If you trim the boat more by the stern, tracking improves, but then it costs you more to move it through the water.* A good autopilot is a great improvement for all of these boats, and it makes tracking a non-issue except for extreme conditions.

And like any square stern boat (which are typically not designed for regular ocean transits), a large following wave can be the most challenging for control.* Good weather selection is important*for consistent safe transits.

Maybe one of the open transom owners will respond with more information.

Good Luck and Best Regards,* Jay

Thank you Jay N. *You're right "Good weather selection is important" but sometimes stuff happens. *Thanks again for the reply.

There is another PT 40 just*listed in NY. I have looked at Janice C, very nice*

Curt wrote:

We currently live on Inamorata, a 1985 35' PT Overseas. *As I understand it was manufactured by Cheerman Bros in Taiwan. *She's a raised stern deck, galley down with two Lehmans.
Curt I have a 1984 Overseas PT 35.* Ours was supposedly made by Overseas Yachts in Tawaiin.* We looked at*a Pacific Trawler 37 (one of the older / original*ones) before we bought the PT 35.* I'd love to see photos of Inamorata.
smile.gif
* Good Luck on your search!

Sharkey wrote:"Is your transom open or full?"

Hi Sharkey,* WESTERLY is*hull #3 of the original 20*fiberglass Pacific Trawler 37's built in California from 1973-1976.** All of these were closed*transom.

You have to get into*1999 around*hull #30 or so before you start to see the open transom option.* Maybe 7-8 hulls with this option, although I don't track it.

Best Regards,* Jay

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom