Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve W.
That is a home built Diesel Duck 48 that is chronicled on the Dieselduck.com website. The owner and his wife did a great job of building it the way that THEY wanted.

You know...I really like that boat and I wouldn't let the high freeboard keep me from it, but I gotta agree with Eric....at least from this angle, the bow is really an obstacle for forward vision. Steve, I'm tempted to Photoshop certify the fero-cement fly bridge.

Last edited:
Custom-made paddle wheeler:

232323232%7Ffp543%3C7%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D39495%3A4%3A%3A6336nu0mrj

I think this is a seaweed cutter mower?

Here's two interesting old boats that remind me of the Forest Service crew boats that were fairly common on the BC coast and in SE Alaska. Actually these two boats were probably retired from that service.

The OP of this thread featured a pic of a Fisher. Here is what the Fisher looks like below the water line.

The last pic is an unusual view of Willy. Shows how round the hull is.

Attachments

• STH71885 copy 2.jpg
    STH71885 copy 2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 830
  • STH71248 copy 2.jpg
    STH71248 copy 2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 3,492
  • STH71255 copy 2.jpg
    STH71255 copy 2.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 783
  • STH71254 copy 2.jpg
    STH71254 copy 2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 767
  • DSCF0252 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0252 copy 2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 797
Last edited:
Tolman Skiff (and factory). Renn gave us a first class tour.

img_155214_0_003e9a6d7a114a7daf8a29257417deb4.jpg

img_155214_1_f0ee0d8fb68685a11093f0e7e591057f.jpg

Steve it's a Duck isn't it? Wonder how they see where their going?

This boat was in Comox last summer. I really like the FB. It looks great and limits the number of people up there so is safer but mostly I just like the looks.

Many of the PNW trawler looking boats have a high sweeping bow to protect the house. The ugly drum windless would block the view more then the high bow? Seeing close is mostly need for docking as most boats are visible with in a reasonable range, and you can step out the pilot house doors. Dang where did that little boat go? :confused::D

Looking out the Eagle pilot house windows you can see over the bow. The Portuguese bridge is the same high as the windows, and at cruising hull speed the bow tend to raise up a bit so the house windows are protect as you can see in the avatar.

I still have my Fisher brochures tucked away from the 60's. always lusted for one. Ditto the Romsdahl.

I did own a Penbo 40, well deck trawler build of cedar on oak in Maine. Loved her! Photos to follow...

Saw this off of Mitlenatch Island in the middle of Georgia Strait. Beautiful.

Attachments

• DSC_0161.jpg
    DSC_0161.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 818
Many of the PNW trawler looking boats have a high sweeping bow to protect the house. The ugly drum windless would block the view more then the high bow? Seeing close is mostly need for docking as most boats are visible with in a reasonable range, and you can step out the pilot house doors.

I would agree with Phil on this. I don't see the high bow on that Duck as being a visibility issue at all. Particularly with what I assume is a steel, single-engine boat where debris in the water is not as much a concern as it for a glass twin or single engine boat. So the need to see things right in front of the bow is probably no biggie.

And for docking, again I agree with Phil. We drive our boat exclusively from the lower helm station in part because we have found it FAR easier to accurately judge the boat's position approaching and entering a slip or coming up to a dock from down below than from up above. And we are mostly looking out the starboard side door or port side window as we do this. Not so much straight ahead other than to judge our fore and aft position for which we don't need to see down as much as straight ahead. And even that we generally judge by looking fore and aft out the side door rather than straight ahead thorugh the windshield.

I passed this unusual craft docked near Orange Beach, AL, on the Gulf ICW. I believe it is a wooden hulled, custom built boat? Anyone know anything about it?

Attachments

• IMG_3448.jpg
    IMG_3448.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_3447.jpg
    IMG_3447.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 571
I passed this unusual craft docked near Orange Beach, AL, on the Gulf ICW. I believe it is a wooden hulled, custom built boat? Anyone know anything about it?

Sure looks like the same boat Steve posted. It even has the green stack/helm.

Yes, I must have missed Steve's post. This was outside of Lulu's, now that I think back about it.

Every time I've been to Prince Rupert these last 20 years I've seen this red and green wood boat. And not far south of Rupert we passes by this interesting boat that had just been passed by a barge. I like it.

Attachments

• DSCF0324 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF0324 copy 3.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 564
  • DSCF0446 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0446 copy 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 581
More boats

Attachments

• DSCF0622 copy 2.JPG
    DSCF0622 copy 2.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 527
  • DSCF0598 copy.jpg
    DSCF0598 copy.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 554
The pictures of the paddlewheel grass clipping boats reminded me of this one. When my Dad, white shirt and dark pants in the picture, retired he started a small fabrication company where he designed and built several like the one pictured below. It was used for clearing fallen trees and doing other work on the waterways. It has several attachments for the hydraulic boom; an excavator bucket and clamshell, a small cutterhead dredge, hydraulic wood saw to trim branches or cut trees, it had a JD diesel driving the hydraulic system which powered the paddle wheels, other functions and attachments. Steering was by stopping or reversing on or the other paddlewheel. The operator sat in a nice air conditioned cab built by John Deere for their grain combines. The boat fit on a custom built trailer for transport and launching. Shown on Bayou Lafourche in Louisiana about 1995.

Attachments

• HAWBoat001.jpg
    HAWBoat001.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
husler,
Indeed. Here's a pair of classy old boats that were at the LaConnner Classic Car and boat show.

Attachments

• DSCF0701 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0701 copy 2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 581
  • DSCF0705 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0705 copy 2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 529
For the man who has everything....with him.

Attachments

• DSC_0672.jpg
    DSC_0672.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 772
Many have seen my dad's boat and here it is converted to a fish boat (troller) and sold for $70K one year ago. It is a lobster boat build in Maine out of Airex Foam and FG. A strong heavy boat powered by a 671. Dad was on the phone telling the builder to make this or that more Skookum and the end product was on the heavy side. She was 36' and delivered in Seattle about 1990.

The 2nd boat I found at Comox in BC. I offer her as "interesting" because of her FB. The sides of the FB slant inwards a lot and not only looks great but limits the space up there and that should keep the weight aloft to safe levels.

Attachments

• DSCF0205 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0205 copy 2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 528
  • DSCF0596 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF0596 copy 3.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 505
That is a very interesting element, but why? It's the same amount of glass, same weight, etc. Do you think it really is to move the weight toward the center? Marin, I think you have found the "wannabe" flybridge.

Why?
I think it's much better looking and reduces the # of people that can be up there at one time. Actually it may take a bit more FG to build but I'd do it just for looks. One more person up there is going to weigh much more than the extra FG it would take to do this but the main thing (I think) is just better looks. Most all FG boats look like the've got too much mass aloft.

Let's look at some proper looking fish boats that do not have bridges flying.

Attachments

• DSCF0233 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0233 copy 2.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 501
  • DSCF0217 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0217 copy 2.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 491
  • STH71663 copy 2.jpg
    STH71663 copy 2.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 502
Since we are doing fishing boats , how about this conversion seen in the Detroit River or maybe the log cabin one in the same marina

Attachments

• nancy k.jpg
    nancy k.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 487
  • todds.jpg
    todds.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 506
That is a very interesting element, but why? It's the same amount of glass, same weight, etc. Do you think it really is to move the weight toward the center? Marin, I think you have found the "wannabe" flybridge.

I don't think it's a wannabe flying bridge, I think it's just a really stupid one. I really have to wonder what people are thinking when they design stuff like this. It has no aesthetics and no function. All it does is allow the wind to blow the crap out of the people on the flying bridge and limit its usefulness to the point where you wonder why bother have a flying bridge at all.

I'm no fan of flying bridges; we don't use ours other than a place to sit and enjoy the view once we get to where we're going. But at least it offers plenty of space to BBQ stuff on the grill, set up a table for us and guests if we have any on board, and the high vertical sides and venturi panels offer pretty good protection from the wind.

The homemade slanty one in the photo manages to defeat every advantage of a flying bridge and look ugly at the same time. Impressive accomplishment.:)

Last edited:
Speaking of conversions, I have always thought this one was pretty inventive-it even has a flying bridge:

Attachments

• My Boat.jpg
    My Boat.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 3,975
Or how about this one? It is an Amphibex often used here to break up the ice
800.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom