Fuel shut off problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hansondl

Vessel Name
Ring of Fire
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
The fuel shut off on my Mainship 34, 1984, only works when the engine is cool. Cleaned the electrical contacts at the solenoid. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The engine is the Perkins 6 Turbo.

Our gen set is a Perkins and when hot it will not start up. So I wired a separate start and a on/of switch to by pass all the electronic control stuff. Gen set works fine when cold and after cooling down, but there are times that I need to restart the gen set. :ermm:

Took a couple of hours worth of test to figure out the wiring. I came off the starter's positive, to a new on/off switch which powers the fuel solenoid, and the start button. It sort of run parallel with the old. To stop I have to turn off both on/off switches. I also installed a start button for the 671 in the engine room as I like to be able to feel, hear and see what going on. :thumb:

Anyway you might want to install a new on/of swtich bvetween the power and the solenoid to turn the power off. :flowers:

Clean and lube the shaft of the solenoid. Also make sure the linkage is not binding. A new switch might also help. I had to do all of the above to my 78 Mainship when I first bought it. Sounds like your solenoid is not making full travel. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom