Old 05-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #34
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Thats a tough one, and I have no idea what the answer is.

I would guess, and thats only a guess is that the more populated an area is the more fuel opportunities.

My 300NM in North America is based on looking at charts, reading, and my own travels.

The longest documented jaunt I can find is approx 320 NM from Yakutat to Seward, but even that could be shortened down to 235NM by going Yakutat to Cordova.

There is also a leg in Mexico from ensenada to turtle bay at 282NM

The rest of north american is much shorter.

Personally I prefer a ample fuel reserve. My boat for example holds 440 gallons, and we get 1.5NMPG at 9 knots and 1.75NMPG at 8 knots. That gives us a run dry range of between 660 and 770 NM depending on speed, sea state, etc...

Last summer we took the boat Yakutat AK to Seward AK which was 320NM. We had very rough weather part of the trip, and still had enough fuel to run the last 50NM at a 14 KT fast cruise (to make it to port before dark.)

So, based on that I'd be MORE than comfortable taking our boat, weather permitting anywhere in North America. With a little research and fuel planning I would have no issues taking her much further, say through the panama canal into the carribean. Thats a big statement, but I think its probably doable fuel wise.
Good point! All I want is range enough to do the Yakutat crossing and be able to make it from the Columbia River Bar to Neah Bay WA. Even this short trip would requires a crew. But why. First stop at Grey Harbor, then the next day to Neah Bay......That being said outside the U.S. range has to be a big decision factor.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote