Looking at Buying a Used Grand Banks 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JESSEDIVER49

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42
Hi Everyone! I just joined this forum today. After boating all my life, motor and sail, at age 63 I'm looking at "buying" my first boat. My two purposes are: a) cruising coastal and some hops over to say Bahamas or similar, and b) scuba diving adventures at outer continental shelf banks in Gulf of Mexico that are 100-130 miles offshore. After doing a lot of homework on the internet, I decided the GB42 (1980s) will work for my purposes and pocketbook. I understand the most common issues with old improperly maintained fuel tanks, engine hrs, old teak decks.

Here are my questions:
1) Is the GB42 semi-displacement a reasonable choice for running 100+ miles offshore and spending 2-4 nights out there?
2) Are the twin Ford Lehmans "suitable" (meaning not underpowered) power for this boat?

My current strategy is to charter a GB42 for 4 days in June before making any offers.

ALL COMMENTS APPRECIATED!!!! Jesse

The GB 42 should work well for your missions.

1. 100+ miles offshore is well within the capabilities of the GB, but realize that it will take 12 hours or more to get back to shore. So keep an eye on the weather. As good as the GB may be, it is no match for 20' seas.

Think about how you will monitor weather from 100 miles out. NOAA on VHF will not work. You will either need SSB or satellite reception. I wouldn't trust any forecast for more than 48 hours, and you are going to be out for 4-5 days.

2. Twin 120 or 135 hp Lehmas is the perfect power for this boat. You can comfortably cruise at hull speed by operating at half power or less, or slow down to 7 kts and operate at 1/4 of maximum power for better fuel consumption.

And yes, soft teak decks and corroded black iron tanks are two issues to watch out for.

David

Join the Grand Banks owners forum and ask your questions there. You will get far more meaningful and accurate answer to questions about GBs there than you will on a general forum line this. Grand Banks Owner's Resources

GBs are not open ocean boats, they are coastal boats. They are not suited for ocean conditions that might arise before you can run to a safe haven. For offshore work there are far better (and safer) designs.

Ford Lehmans are very old, long outdated designs. If operated conservatively and serviced and maintained properly they are very reliable and can last a long time. They are heavy, noisy, inefficient and polluting compared to more modern engines. While we have a boat with FL120s we would never buy another boat with them again.

Two FL120s in a GB42 are fine if you are willing to cruise at slow speeds, 8-9 knots at best. These engines do not hold up well to continuous running at higher rpm. This means that if you are 100 miles offshore and the weather takes an unexpected turn for the worse, you will not be able to make a fast run to a safe haven. So the weather may well catch up to you and a GB is NOT a boat you want to be in in bad weather on the open ocean.

GBs were designed for coastal cruising and for that they are extremely well suited. As open ocean boats where running to a safe haven may not be an option, they suck and in fact can put you at considerable risk depending on the conditions. They have what many people consider a very poor and uncomfortable ride in rough water with a quite violent "snap back" roll.

If open ocean work was my priority I would not even consider a semi-planing boat like a GB but concentrate on finding a good displacement boat. Willard, Krogen, and some Hatteras models come to mind.

Last edited:
Here are my questions:
1) Is the GB42 semi-displacement a reasonable choice for running 100+ miles offshore and spending 2-4 nights out there? (IMO) NO!

2) Are the twin Ford Lehmans "suitable" (meaning not underpowered) power for this boat? Again, No. (IMO, they are underpowered for the mission you've outlined.) :hide:

My current strategy is to charter a GB42 for 4 days in June before making any offers. Excellent decision! More people should do this.

ALL COMMENTS APPRECIATED!!!! Jesse

I sure don't want to rain on your GB 42 decision but you've asked the questions & should be ready to fend off any incoming flack. Why not a decent size & speed "sport fisher." They're seaworthy, fast, and designed for the mission you've delineated.

I love the GB 42 but not for the tasks you have mentioned.

I do appreciate the replies. As for "why not a sportfisher" - because of fuel economy. I am in no hurry and more interested in range and economy than speed.

While I'm at it, anyone know much about Leyland Diesels? One GB 42 I'm looking at has Leylands instead of Ford Lehmans or Cats.

The British Leyland engines are rare in pleasure boats in the U.S. (elsewhere too?) I knew a person that had GB 46 No. 1 and it was hard to find parts for it. I think his were 200hp turbos.

Have Leylands-165's in Sea Level-5800 Hrs. Strong running, 4 Gals/Hr combined at 8-8.5 knots...thus far, no issue with parts, did have heat exchanger core custom fabricated and saved big bucks. Best of luck with you search. PS...Leyland is a mini cooper co. They were primarly bus and tractor engines in England.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom