Removing Old Boat Name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
What is the best method for removing old vinyl lettering from fiberglass transom without damaging the gelcoat?

What is the best method for removing old vinyl lettering from fiberglass transom without damaging the gelcoat?

Over here we have an item called a Caramel wheel. It's a rubber type wheel that fits into a chuck of a drill. Use it on low speed and it cone right off. Panel shops use them for removing pinstripes etc as they don't damage paint work etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I use a heat gun and it softens the vinyl enough in just a few seconds to get it peeling off. Had the whole transom of my old boat done in a matter of minutes. I did the boat numbers as well the same way. Just don't let the heat gun sit in one spot too long and you will never do any damage. I have heard blow dryers will work as well but don't throw the same heat as a true heat gun. Very quick and easy.

Allen's idea of using heat I think is the most effective. But be careful not to use too much. We used a hair dryer rather than an actual heat gun to remove the boat names the previous owner had applied to both sides of the flying bridge.

For the sticky residue that might be left after removing the old vinyl we found that a citrous cleaner does a great job of removing it.

Thanks Guys

Monday I will pick up a heat gun at the shop.
I also have a gum wheel, acetone and adhesive remover.
I will use the heat gun first.
Then play it by ear.
thanks again.

Use a windshield ice scraper after heating the letters. It's plenty hard but softer than the gelcoat so you can really go at it.

We're doing the same tomorrow, but we'll be using Bio-Solv. It's a "green acetone" that softens the adhesive and allows the vinyl to be easily pulled off. They have a slide show of some guy using it to remove 24-year old vinyl graphics:

Bio-Solv is a 100% bio-degradable and non toxic cleaning solvent replacement for acetone, xylene and other harmful solvents

Our letters aren't that old and are in decent condition, so it should be even easier. We'll be making a video of the process so you can see how it works. Well, we hope it works that easy, anyway!

the lettering came off very easily with a heat gun.
I concentrated on one corner of a letter for about 15 seconds and then heated the rest of the letter for 5 seconds. Using a plastic scraper, I worked the corner until it rolled back about 1/4' and then with my fingers was able to pel off the whole letter in literally seconds.
The shadow, well, that's another story.
Gum Wheel - I should live so long. I gave that up quickly.
Acetone and adhesive remover - Waste of time.
Alcohol - removed the faint trace of residue, but that's it.

320 Grit wet/dry paper applied wet - worked great. I went to store and picked up some 600 Grit paper for fear that the 320 may be too aggressive. That was somewhat slow going but not too bad and that did the trick.

Now for my next question - I am going to buff the entire stern before the new lettering is applied. Definitely NO WAX at this point. What grit wet/dry paper should I use to remove the chalking of the gejcoat?

I think the liquid abrasive with a pad and buffing wheel works best and all the pro's here use that. 3M makes a great fine polishing liquid I see most people use. You can get it at the automotive paint stores. They use it to polish clear coat.

What about a dark (black) Awlgriped hull? Will the old name leave a shadow like it would on a gel coat hull?

If no the problem is solved. If yes, can you compound or wet sand it out?

You asked what's the easiest way? Hire someone that does it for a living. I did, and boy was I glad. The lettering had been there for 30 years. My new lettering went on a few days ago. I did not re-name her. With all the "crossfit and boat yoga" projects I have been doing, this is one I gladly paid for.

Took painted name off months ago with Easy Off. Worked like a charm. Buffed out then renamed with vinyl.

Stick on vinyl comes off easily with a heat gun or hair dryer. A bit of a shadow is often left on the gelcoat where the old name was, even after polishing. It usually disappears on its own after being in the sun for a couple weeks.

the lettering came off very easily with a heat gun.
I concentrated on one corner of a letter for about 15 seconds and then heated the rest of the letter for 5 seconds. Using a plastic scraper, I worked the corner until it rolled back about 1/4' and then with my fingers was able to pel off the whole letter in literally seconds.
The shadow, well, that's another story.
Gum Wheel - I should live so long. I gave that up quickly.
Acetone and adhesive remover - Waste of time.
Alcohol - removed the faint trace of residue, but that's it.

320 Grit wet/dry paper applied wet - worked great. I went to store and picked up some 600 Grit paper for fear that the 320 may be too aggressive. That was somewhat slow going but not too bad and that did the trick.

Now for my next question - I am going to buff the entire stern before the new lettering is applied. Definitely NO WAX at this point. What grit wet/dry paper should I use to remove the chalking of the gejcoat?

2000 GRIT and use hand soap as a lubricant

Stick on vinyl comes off easily with a heat gun or hair dryer. A bit of a shadow is often left on the gelcoat where the old name was, even after polishing. It usually disappears on its own after being in the sun for a couple weeks.

The hull is black awlgrip, not gel coat.

What about a dark (black) Awlgriped hull? Will the old name leave a shadow like it would on a gel coat hull?

If no the problem is solved. If yes, can you compound or wet sand it out?

Changed our boat name - vinyl on AwlCraft painted hull and used heat gun & adhesive remover - then Colinite Cleaner before applying new vinyl. I've also had to do some spot touch-up of painted hull - summary of is included in the link below.

I'd recommend reading the info on Awlgrip (if that's what it is) prior to doing any sanding or compounding.

I'd read Repairing Topcoat, Awlgrip vs. Awlcraft linked on my Bacchus website - Links - MS Hull Paint Info
or on the Jamestown Distributors website

Changed our boat name - vinyl on AwlCraft painted hull and used heat gun & adhesive remover - then Colinite Cleaner before applying new vinyl. I've also had to do some spot touch-up of painted hull - summary of is included in the link below.

I'd recommend reading the info on Awlgrip (if that's what it is) prior to doing any sanding or compounding.

I'd read Repairing Topcoat, Awlgrip vs. Awlcraft linked on my Bacchus website - Links - MS Hull Paint Info
or on the Jamestown Distributors website

Was there a shadow on the paint after you removed the stick-on letters?

OT OH, I feel a boat re-naming ceremony coming on!:eek:

Ours was a real celebration - included 3 others in the marina as well as a "spring blessing of the fleet"

Attachments

• Boat 2013_9_6 C.jpg
    Boat 2013_9_6 C.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 56
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 023 C.jpg
    023 C.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 74
Ours was a real celebration - included 3 others in the marina as well as a "spring blessing of the fleet"

I would guess that all the bodies lying on the dock the next morning left a shadow, but what if the dock was painted with Awlgirp? Would there be a shadow when they were hauled off?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom