Running shoe, making large wake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
#@*&*% (wise ass.):D One of these days....
For those of you that think this is a negative remark...it isn't! I'm envious as I would love to have a boat like Moonstruck's that is so adaptable to the sea conditions.(Not to mention the mood I'm in.)

Great cruising boat! GPH be damned. :smitten:

How deep is the water on the "Mokelumne"?

Edit: I just Googled the "Mokalumne River" (Which I have never heard of) and was surprised! https://www.google.com/search?q=Mok...VO4PniwKO1IHgDA&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1067&bih=522

In the lower stretches, it can vary from 6 or 7 feet near the tule islands (or less) to 20 feet or so in the holes, depending on shoaling. It stays a pretty consistent 10-15 ft as you proceed north on the South Fork past Terminous/Potato Slough toward the bridge by Wimpy's Marina. The North Fork shallows to 6 ft approaching the town of Locke. Then it gets snaggy in Snodgrass Slough.

Scary (Steve) here on TF knows these waters better than most and says it's still navigable with local knowledge. I've stopped running past Locke on my own, but would consider doing it with someone like Steve who knows where not to stray.

Bottom line to us is that while the wakes some boats put out can be annoying, our boat can handle any of them so we don't worry about it.

The interior of our boat is constructed and laid out so that there is no loose furniture or anything that can be tossed around or out of its rack by a severe waking. Our cupboards and refrigerator and oven doors cannot pop open even when the boat is severely rocked Outside of the occasional glass or coffee cup, we have no concerns at all for the "stuff" inside the boat if we happen to catch a big wake in a way that rolls the boat hard.

So other than the "stupid *******" reaction we might have to someone who plows along throwing up a monster wake, it's just another part of boating that's no big deal.

As to passing distance, our only requirement is that the boat that passes us, coming or going, doesn't actually hit us. Other than that they can go by as close as they want.

Attachments

• P1050221.jpg
    P1050221.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Carey.jpg
    Carey.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Don,
The "Washing Machine" is off Stephen's Passage in SE Alaska.
It's called Ford's Terror.
It's a rapid to a fjord by that name that is very narrow and has current of about 15 knots. It may be the highest velocity rapid on the NW coast. That's bad enough but the "Washing Machine" part comes from the very pronounced dogleg in the middle of the passageway or channel.

Scary (Steve) here on TF knows these waters better than most and says it's still navigable with local knowledge.
Thanks, Al....I'm beginning to really like the Delta. (And its covered slips.)

Some "passing" shots I just came across on this computer. Taken during a film shoot I directed a few years ago. No worries about wakes here. Carey's lobsterboat had one of the cameras on it.

Attachments

• HD-LW 1.jpg
    HD-LW 1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 68
  • HD-LW 2.jpg
    HD-LW 2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 66
  • HD-LW 3.jpg
    HD-LW 3.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 77
GREAT PICS Marin. But I expect that from you.

Carey's LB sure makes a big wake. Haven't seen him post for a long time.

Sorry you were offended by my personality post. It's obvious you wern't pleased. I didn't mean any criticism at all actually. I was going to delete it but the window slammed shut. On the old forum format the "edit" feature stayed on much longer.

Walt:

Maybe you should look at Back Cove boats. Made by the same company (I think) as Don's Sabre. A bit of Sea Horse II in their size and profile, good speed when needed and built in a great State by extremely skilled boat builders. And........you could come visit to sea trial one. :)

Walt:

Maybe you should look at Back Cove boats. Made by the same company (I think) as Don's Sabre. A bit of Sea Horse II in their size and profile, good speed when needed and built in a great State by extremely skilled boat builders. And........you could come visit to sea trial one. :)

Yep, similar lineage. The Back Cove 37 is really a spectacular boat Built in South Casco Maine..

Carey's LB sure makes a big wake.

He was going flat out in the second shot for a camera pass. The Lady Washington was doing 12 knots at the time and Carey passed us like we were standing still.

To dwhatty & moonstruck:

To switch to a Back Cove would cost me approximately $250K + my boat. I would pick up about 17 more knots at cruise and move up one more peg on my slip size, diver, boat washer, insurance, etc. ($$$) Why would I do that! (That's the question I keep asking myself.)

I would welcome some input from the Forum.

Attachments

• Halvo vs Back Cove.jpg
    Halvo vs Back Cove.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Walt--- if you want a fast express cruiser stop mucking about with all those wannabee brands like Sabre and Back Cove and stuff. Just get yourself an Eastbay and be done with it.

Walt--- if you want a fast express cruiser stop mucking about with all those wannabee brands like Sabre and Back Cove and stuff. Just get yourself an Eastbay and be done with it.

Ouch! Right through the heart. I guess I'll always be a wannabe.:cry:

He's West Coast. A San Juan would be nice too.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 63
It's OK Walt. Go ahead and buy one of those Chinese boats if you want.:peace:

Eastbays are made in Malaysia. Don't know where the San Juan is made. Here I think, actually.

Larry, how about Worth Creek near N. Palm Beach with the wakes bouncing of the seawalls on either side. That place can be like a washing machine.:banghead:

Actually, I was thinking of that very spot when I did my reply. It only takes one illegal go-fast boat to fly by you, and for the next couple miles you might as well be in Jupiter Inlet in a storm.

Another one that really gets my goat is when you're waiting for a bridge, and some guy comes screaming right up to the bridge before coming off plane, sending a huge tide that surfs you right toward the bridge abutment.

To dwhatty & moonstruck:

To switch to a Back Cove would cost me approximately $250K + my boat. I would pick up about 17 more knots at cruise and move up one more peg on my slip size, diver, boat washer, insurance, etc. ($$$) Why would I do that! (That's the question I keep asking myself.)

Walt, if you were in our part of the world, one of these would do you just fine...

Alaska Motor Yachts

Just get yourself an Eastbay and be done with it.
Funny you mention Eastbay as I was looking at a 39 yesterday. If I ever spring for a fast express, I want it to be at least 1 foot longer and 5 knots faster than Don's.

Tomorrow I head for the mountains of Arizona and a couple of weeks R & R. Maybe the faster boat thing will pass. I seem to go through this every spring.

My wife and I built our "mini lodge" and it's where she likes to re-energize. I would sell it tomorrow and buy a bigger boat.:blush:

Attachments

• IMG_3240.jpg
    IMG_3240.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3236.jpg
    IMG_3236.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Antelope.jpg
    Antelope.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4127.jpg
    IMG_4127.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
To dwhatty & moonstruck:

Walt:

IIRC you were going to give your present boat away last year, so we all know you can afford whatever you want. My vote is for the San Juan. For only $1.3Mil you can move up 17 knots and get all the luxurious comforts your wife needs, to abandon your Arizona retreat. I especially like the 48.
Then you can give your present boat away.

Seems they're built in Anacortes, which is not quite in the San Juans but close.:)

Well, I guess then if East Bays are built in Malaysia it's not quite China, but close.:D

Funny you mention Eastbay as I was looking at a 39 yesterday. If I ever spring for a fast express, I want it to be at least 1 foot longer and 5 knots faster than Don's.

Tomorrow I head for the mountains of Arizona and a couple of weeks R & R. Maybe the faster boat thing will pass. I seem to go through this every spring.

My wife and I built our "mini lodge" and it's where she likes to re-energize. I would sell it tomorrow and buy a bigger boat.:blush:

Wow, Seahorse. I'd love to be in such a contemplative quandary.

http://Attached Thumbnails
He's West Coast. A San Juan would be nice too.

I don't know why the picture didn't come along. It's on post #75.

Spy is right. This is a truly beautiful boat. But Walt would want to put extensive hand rails on it and ruin the very essence of this boat. You can't put a bunch of clutter on a boat and expect it to anything but a bunch of clutter. Hand rails, antenna's, flags, swim steps and related stuff will mask, hide or otherwise take away from the beauty of the boat. This boat would be better off (beauty wise) if it didn't have the clutter on the cabin top too.

Re Marin's Eastbay comment I think he's just got his head in the GB box and dosn't even realize there are better boats than Grand Banks boats. I can see Walt in a classier boat like a Bertram but GBs are too commonplace for Walt.

Last edited:
BUT IT IS PRETTY DAMN HARD TO PASS A BOAT WITH NO WAKE WHEN THAT WAKEE IS GOING 7 KNOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU EVER SEE A LARGE POWERBOAT SLOW DOWN IN AN EFFORT TO PROVIDE YOU A COURTEOUS PASS, PLEASE RETURN THE FAVOR BY REDUCING YOUR POWER TO MINIMUM STEERAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey there Captain Baker - That's some pretty good coffee you must be drinkin' there - know where I could get a pound?

Here in Eastern NC, the captains are pretty good about radioing and slowing down. We get a good bit of sport-fisherman travel up and down the ICW. Most boats are the Hatteras and Buddy Davis variety, about 45-58 foot with twin 600HP+ Cats and a big butt.

buddydavis_boats_hero.jpg

So they can throw a tsunami if they want to. But the times I have seen disregard for passing courtesy, I check the hailing ports and will more often see RI, MA, and CT in higher frequency. Something about that short season makes those guys in a helluva hurry. We just slow down, turn into the wake and bob it out.

You hear the VHF going pretty hard on holiday weekends with "Hey 'Nauti-Time' <insert boat name of your choice> thanks for the slow pass <sarcastic>", followed by some passing reference to their parentage...

But for the most part, I am hailed by the big boys requesting a slow pass more often than not, and if not hailed, they slow anyway, and I slow and it works that way 90% of the time. The bass boats pretty much zoom by at 50 knots, but their wakes are pretty minor most days.

California sounds like the wild, wild, west. Oh, wait.

:blush:

Now there's a good example of an uncluttered design (at least below the FB).

There's a lot of boats ... in fact I'd say that most boats are better looking than the typical trawler.

Maybe that's one of the reasons Don got a Sabre. To get a better looking boat than a trawler.

I'm glad that that good looking boat isn't passing me though.

Last edited:
Well, I guess then if East Bays are built in Malaysia it's not quite China, but close.:D

There are subtle differences between the Eastbay's built here and there, but if you look close.....

Attachments

• Far Eastbay.jpg
    Far Eastbay.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 82
To dwhatty & moonstruck:

If you're going to go, go big! I saw this one today and thought of you, Walt.

img_154221_0_44c4e5fa3632406c31adc46c6983b24a.jpg

Moonstruck will be left idling along in your wake.

58 - Vicem Yacht - The Yacht for Yachtsmen

IMG_1859.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom