View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
2bucks
Guru

RE: Cruising Spare Parts

I'm a seal a meal believer. I buy Racor filters by the case and seal them. (draw a vacuum just until the bag hits the filter and then heat seal. The filter will collapse if you pull it all the way down) My spare fuel lines, yes the pre-bent high pressure ones, the rubber transmission hoses, rubber fuel filter hoses, spare fuel pump, spare engine fresh water and raw water pumps, radiator cap, oil fill cap, spare oil filters, O-rings, alternator, starter, belts, hoses for everything, spare rubber hose to bypass tank to filter, universal battery cables, air filter, prop nuts, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something, are all sealed in seal a meal. They are clean, dry and ready to go. I did not seal my spare piece of 3.5 inch exhaust hose because I don't think anything can hurt that stuff.

I'd love to figure out a way to seal my prop puller but there are no bags big enough. It's just in it's own oversize ziplock with preservative spread on it. Yes I carry a 2 5/16" (memory on size) combination wrench to change the prop. I don't dive, but I think as mentioned before that I can hire that locally if I have the tools and replacements.

I don't currently carry a spare drive plate since mine is only a year old. Replaced it after coasting into a slip when the other broke. Had all the tools, did it myself.

FF's idea above of fitting the replacement and carrying the old as a spare is good advice for many parts. When I bought my boat I had no history on hoses and belts. Buying a replacement for all the trans coolers, oil filters etc, allowed the still working hoses to be known spares. As mentioned above, it does add up to a fair amount of money, but if you do a little each month or so it doesn't attract the bookkeepers eye. (I love you dear)

My spare prop is one I replaced becasue it was too old to computer tune. Pieces were popping out when beat on. It still works fine, and hopefully in 20 years or so, someone else will decide to spend $1500 to buy a replacement for it. I'm not going to.

I have a single screw, and I cruise out of the way places by myself, no buddy boats. I intend to be as self sufficient as possible. Could something happen that I can't repair or replace? Sure, but when it happens I want it to be something really exotic.

Ken
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote