View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Marine Trader BW Transmission troubles

I doubt you'll need to replace the transmission. You may not even need to have it rebuilt. It may be that there is a fairly simple internal linkage that needs to be adjusted or possibly replaced. The fact that it operates just fine in reverse seems to indicate that the basic drive components are okay.

There is a copy of the BW manual on the Grand Banks owners site if you don't have your own copy. It may contain some clue as to what might be causing the problem you are experiencing.

You do not have to haul the boat to have work done on the transmission, or even to remove it.* The shaft is simply disconnected and slid back which will provide sufficient clearance to lift the transmission out if that becomes necessary.* Some installations use engine mounts on the front of the engine and on the transmission.* Others, like ours, have all the engine mounts on the engine.* If your boat has the rear engine mounts on the transmission, it will be necessary to support the rear of the engine before the transmission can be removed.

*And if the transmission is removed, it will be necessary to check the alignment of the shaft and engine/transmission after the transmission is replaced and adjust it as necessary.

As to whether it is potentially damaging to run your boat to the yard six hours away, I would call American Diesel and ask.* While they know everything there is to know about Ford Lehman engines, since so many of them have been bolted to Velvet Drive transmissions I suspect they know a lot about them as well.* Or call a reputable transmission shop and pose your question.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 13th of August 2009 04:53:17 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote