View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #38
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Totally Trawler

Quote:
Keith wrote:

I stick by my statement. If you're not prepared to anchor, don't. Head up into the weather. I don't understand what point you are now trying to make except that I was wrong.
I have no argument about your statement at all as it applies to us recreational boaters.* But the discussion got going when Eric stated that he did not realize chain could lose all its catenary.* I responded by citing the photo and example in Earl Hinz's book in which a USCG cutter tried to hold itself off a lee shore with both its anchors and the all-chain rodes went bar tight and broke.* Then you came in with what I interpreted as an implication that if the rode the cutter had on board wasn't adequate for the conditions, they shouldn't have gone out.* Or should have installed a more appropriate rode before it went out.

But I don't think there is anyone on this forum who would disagree with your statement that a boater should not go out into conditions he is not prepared to deal with, or should outfit his boat to safely deal with the conditions he's going to venture out into.

The folks in the USCG, Navy, etc. don't have the luxury of staying at home if the weather becomes extreme.* They have to try to manage with what they've got.*

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 13th of August 2009 07:09:52 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote