Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #135
Ebaugh
Veteran Member

City: Panama
Vessel Name: Mar Azul
Vessel Model: DeFever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Bob: break out another thousand = "boat" unit.

I should have mentioned that our fridge is a little over 5 cubic feet and the freezer is 2.5. I could go bigger on the fridge if space allowed it but not much. The freezer size has been perfect.

A second 2.5-5 cubic foot fridge, if it looked like it belonged, would be a plus. You could shut it off when it's not needed so you wouldn't be trying to cool air. After a major provisioning run, space is at a premium.

FF turned us on to Sun Frost. We recently met a cruiser who had replaced their household unit with one of their units and all was positive but he had no real numbers yet. Next time I would look at Sun Frost also.

Sun Frost energy efficient refrigerators
I looked at Sun Frost before we left. Mostly for their freezers since we expected to replace that unit. But they are not that different in efficiency, the 3.9 CuFt SF model is rated at 164 kWh a year where there are several 5 CuFt "normal" chest freezers rated at 193 kWh a year. By government Energy Star testing. The Sun Frost F4 is $1500, the small 5 CuFt chest freezer $200-250.

The Energy Star program has resulted in ordinary refrigerators and freezers becoming much more efficient.
Ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote