Fresh water pump crapped out again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dach side

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
36' sabreline fast trawler
In 2011, I bought a new shut hold water pump. Next year, it wouldn't shut off, so it was replaced as warranty. Next year, that pump wouldn't pump. Was replaced like the last one. This year, it pumps fine, but trips the breaker just before reaching the pressure shut of point. What do you guys use for water pumps? How long will they last?

We have a ShurFlo Extreme pump- about 60 PSI and pressure is on par with city pressure.

One thing to check- if you have a filter system, pull the filter cartridge and try running the system. We found out about this the hard way......the filter was clogged, and the old pump burned out as a result.

I have a Groco Paragon JR (PJR-A) on my boat that has been in service for more than twenty years. I think I changed the pressure switch once but I've never rebuilt the pump. They are expensive but they really last.

Dach Side, I think I'd replace the breaker before I replaced the pump. Breakers sometimes get weak as they age. If the new breaker still pops, then look at the pump.

I guess if you're smarter than me you could just test the amp draw to see if it's excessive before you change anything.

We have had good luck with Sure Flow ,although we too selected the deck wash unit for domestic pressure water as the motor is 2x or more the size of the yacht/RV unit.

In 2011, I bought a new shut hold water pump. Next year, it wouldn't shut off, so it was replaced as warranty. Next year, that pump wouldn't pump. Was replaced like the last one. This year, it pumps fine, but trips the breaker just before reaching the pressure shut of point. What do you guys use for water pumps? How long will they last?

Maybe your problem is in the electrical system and not the pump. A properly set up pump will last a very long time. A good marine electrician could sort it out in a few minutes most likely.

Last edited:
My experience has been that it is money well spent to get the West Marine extended warranty with any pump. The warranty even covers the pumps for the impeller failing:dance:

SUREFLOW 30 PSI

We use our 24/7 365 days and last about 7 years. Self priming and can run dry.

Twenty year old Paragon Jr. here. Had to replace the pressure sensor once because of pinhole leak (rusted through), and the belt and motor pulley once. Good parts support.

What do you guys use for water pumps? How long will they last?

Sureflow AquaKing 3 gpm diaphragm pump. Don't know how long the pump that came with the boat had been in place prior to our buying the boat but we used it year round for about 12 years before I broke the inlet fitting while changing the in-line debris filter. We replaced it with the current version of the same pump and have had no problems with it.

Those Shureflows do seem to last for yonks. The one in our boat is over 12 yrs old, was in the boat when we bought it 11 yrs ago , and who knows how long before that. The only thing I have done is position it better and add a filter and small pressurisable accumulator tank to prevent 'hunting' with annoying intermittent pump running.

Yesterday, after cleaning the filter, twice (using 2 different pumps), the pressure bled hoses off the fittings. When I checked the fittings, I found that they were grey plastic fittings with the barbs ground off to fit the hoses. These will be changed of course, bit this never happened since I got the boat in 2010. Note, I just installed 2 new 8d house batts.

2 new 8d house batts.

Deep cycle , start, or "combo"?

Big difference in house service.

We have had problems over the years with fresh water diaphragm pumps. But it has always been the pressure switch, never the motor or pump head. The last failure a few months ago, I bought a standalone pressure switch and bypassed the one built into the pump head. Something like this:

http://www.flotecpump.com/ResidentialSearchResults.aspx?Term=30/50 Pressure Switch

Although I got an Italian version in a Colombian hardware store. They cost under $20. Im hoping they are more robust, but if not, I bought 2, so I already have a spare!

The ones on the PARMAX 4 in particular are junk. We've had 2 failures in 2 years, but the pumps themselves seem OK.

Our Spectra water maker uses 2 Shurflo pumps. In that application they run continually when making water. I've run that system 24-30 hours occasionally, probably have around 1500 hours of operation on each pump at 70 psi without failure. That's much better than I expected.

Last edited:
Ff: they are deep cycle batts.

"I bought a standalone pressure switch and bypassed the one built into the pump head. "

This seems to be the most common cause , as it was decades ago with Jabsco belted pumps.

Perhaps looking to purchase a new pump this failure should be kept in mind and ONLY a pump it would be simple to convert purchased.

Was 23 years as liveaboard and NEVER had a failure , after converting to a house pressure water switch.

The Jabscoe had a bastard thread to prevent this , but a bit of drilling and a solder torch took care of that problem.

Folks that are re-plumbing or doing a new-build can simply use larger delivery pipes and lower pressure , and have the same delivery at the sink.

We use 5/8 copper tubing , flair fittings and 20psi for long pump life.

Replaceable worldwide.

But we are the dishwasher , not a machine.

question- just replaced my flo-jet pump 4406-143 and the paperwork says it "has a built in bypass valve eliminating the need for an accumulator tank" and not install it in a system with a tank as it would interfere with that valve. My system had a tank when I got the boat. Should I remove the tank? pump seems to work but a little slow to recover. old pump was a 4405-143

I have a Par-Jabsco and lived aboard 20 years. Great pump and I recommend them. I had the old belt type which came on the boat with a couple spares. I soon found out why there were spares.

The new style is the best pump I've seen. I can shower while the wife is doing dishes and no problem with pressure or flow.

BTW, my shureflow washdown pump failed just after warranty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom