6000miles to Rio in 2 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leaving from Cave Cay and arriving in Georgetown

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Some more pictures, from Turcs to Luperon

Attachments

• image-3254548708.jpg
    image-3254548708.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 134
  • image-870741939.jpg
    image-870741939.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3834043749.jpg
    image-3834043749.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1737087349.jpg
    image-1737087349.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 130
  • image-2949439891.jpg
    image-2949439891.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image-3865768151.jpg
    image-3865768151.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 132
  • image-3076521357.jpg
    image-3076521357.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 142
Not yet, I intend to go to Luperon in May to solve the problem and to make my second leg of the trip, to Trinidad

Sergio: We just got to Luperon. Scoudrel's Lady is looking good! We're here for maybe 5 or 6 days. When are you coming back? Is there anything we can look into for you?

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 126
Sergio: We just got to Luperon. Scoudrel's Lady is looking good! We're here for maybe 5 or 6 days. When are you coming back? Is there anything we can look into for you?

Hi Larry, we intend to go in the end of May.
We have a problem with the battery banks that are draining during the night.
The guy that is taking care is "15" (Quinse) and the name of the Marine manager is Freddy.
Please take a look if the bottom boat is clean. By the dock, or ask 15.
I found an electrician by internet but I don't know if he could help us.
If you have time, ask Freddy for a rental car (you just find an used car) and go to Cabaret, is a beautiful place to windsurf and Kite surf.
It's very difficult to make contact with the marine or 15, if they want to talk to me, please let me know.
Thank you

Hi Larry, we intend to go in the end of May.
We have a problem with the battery banks that are draining during the night.
The guy that is taking care is "15" (Quinse) and the name of the Marine manager is Freddy.
Please take a look if the bottom boat is clean. By the dock, or ask 15.
I found an electrician by internet but I don't know if he could help us.
If you have time, ask Freddy for a rental car (you just find an used car) and go to Cabaret, is a beautiful place to windsurf and Kite surf.
It's very difficult to make contact with the marine or 15, if they want to talk to me, please let me know.
Thank you

Nice picture, I'll use as my avatar

Hi Larry, I have to arrive in Trinidad in the end of June, because will start the hurricane season.
Can I make this trip in a month? Do you know a marine there that you can indicate? any advice?

Another thing, can you ask to Freddy or "15" to look inside the dingy if has water and to cover it.

Another thing, can you ask to Freddy or "15" to look inside the dingy if has water and to cover it.

I'll talk to Freddy and/or "15". I did notice that the dinghy cover looks like it's partially off. It will be taken care of regardless.

Hi Larry, I have to arrive in Trinidad in the end of June, because will start the hurricane season.
Can I make this trip in a month? Do you know a marine there that you can indicate? any advice?

Sergio: It's 1,100 miles and you should have no problem. Weather could be an issue crossing the Mona Passage and the Anegada Passage though. You already know about Chris Parker so you're all set. We've been using the "Passage South, The Thornless Path to Windward" by Bruce Van Sant. His recommendations for the trip have been very good particularly about time of day to travel between and around the islands.

From Luperon to Ponce, PR it's just under 300 miles where there's a good fuel dock and good provisioning. We rented a car from Enterprise. They picked us up at the anchorage. There's a Sams Club, K-Mart, etc. You get the idea.

Trinidad, if you're going to leave your boat in the water, Crews Inn would be my recommendation. There are 3 yards for dry storage if you want to leave it on the hard. Peaks or Power Boats would be my recommendation.

I talked to Freddy yesterday afternoon and checked out your dinghy, clean with no water. We also re-secured the cover. Scoudrel's Lady looking good. She looks liked she was recently washed and ready to go. The bottom also looks good.

Thank you. I didn't find Sam's Club or any other big store close Luperon. In Puerto Plata has just one nautical store and with a few parts.
I'll need to buy 2 beg deep cycle batteries and I'm afraid if I can find them

Thank you. I didn't find Sam's Club or any other big store close Luperon. In Puerto Plata has just one nautical store and with a few parts.
I'll need to buy 2 big deep cycle batteries and I'm afraid if I can find them

I'll need to buy 2 big deep cycle batteries and I'm afraid if I can find them

I need to change all of my service batteries (2)

I'm happy that Scoundre's Lady is in good shape and clean. "15" is a good guy and if you'll be with him, tell him that I'll have a gift for him.
I hope we'll meet some day.

Hi Larry,

Both of my battery bank are draining with the inverter during the night. I know that I have to change the two service batteries, but its wrong the engine batteries drained by the inverter.
I don't know if I'll could find an electrician guy in Luperon or close to solve this problem.

Hi Larry,

Both of my battery bank are draining with the inverter during the night. I know that I have to change the two service batteries, but its wrong the engine batteries drained by the inverter.
I don't know if I'll could find an electrician guy in Luperon or close to solve this problem.

What happens if you turn off the batteries?

I don't know. When I turn off the engine batteries, I can see their voltage in the panel. Despite that, the inverter consume all the service batteries in minutes. I think something something is stealing batteries charge.

I don't know. When I turn off the engine batteries, I can see their voltage in the panel. Despite that, the inverter consume all the service batteries in minutes. I think something something is stealing batteries charge.

Get your batteries load tested first. If they check out, then see if there is a current draw with everything shut off.

It's not clear to me as to (1) Is the boat on a mooring or in a slip connected to shore power? (2) Why is the inverter on when you are not there?

Why go to Trinidad? From there it is almost impossible to go to Brazil, you will fight against current and wind and will hammer the boat appart.

My suggestion is the following.

With a speed of 5.5 knots this route will bring you in 33 days in Rio. If you not make the stop in Recife even more fast.

If you ask and pay for delivery, I will bring your boat to Rio (Iate Gloria?)...

Just my 2 centavos.

Attachments

• 01 Chart Print.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 02 Chart Print.pdf
    53.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 01 Chart Print.jpg
    01 Chart Print.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 02 Chart Print.jpg
    02 Chart Print.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
For the month MAY;

Attachments

• 03 Chart Print.jpg
    03 Chart Print.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 04 Chart Print.jpg
    04 Chart Print.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 03 Chart Print.pdf
    154.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 04 Chart Print.pdf
    159.2 KB · Views: 47
It's good idea if our boat was a sailing boat. We need fuel and our range is about 1,000 miles, that's why we have to go to Trinidad first.

It's good idea if our boat was a sailing boat. We need fuel and our range is about 1,000 miles, that's why we have to go to Trinidad first.

Hi Almao,

Long time not hear from you.

If it was a sailing vessel I would go to the Cape Verde, drink a beer, and head for Recife.

My advice, forget Trinidad. Extend your fuel capacity. Replace one propellor for a fold one. Go on one engine and low speed (5.5 knots SOG 3-4 liters per hour) to save fuel and take a route that not hammer your boat appart.

The coastal route from Trinidad to Recife is a nightmare for EVERY boat.

I still will do the job.

My 2 Centavos

Last edited:
In my 2 main tanks we can get 400 gallons, I puted 5 barrels with 55 gal/each. Than we have just 675 gals. I have a150 gal bladder tank that I dont know if its in order. I dont know if I can find a fold propeler with the exact size.

Hi Sergio,

In my suggested route the longest leg is from Martinique to Recife. This leg will be approx. 2420 NM When you can reduce your fuel consumption to approx. 1 Gallon per hour, this leg take 440 Gallons + 20 percent safety margin 550 Gallons.

Last tank top up in Martinique or St Lucia

In this route I changed the point to go outside to 14 10.0000 N 061 00.0000 W Martinique - St. Lucia Channel. Its the point where merchant vessels change their Bearing to 120°

If you want more info pls. sent me an email.

Cees

Attachments

• 05 Chart Print.jpg
    05 Chart Print.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 06 Chart Print.jpg
    06 Chart Print.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 130
Cees, I heard that in January the South American coast is a little better to cross. Is it true? If we come close the coast, maybe its better
Alemao

I'm afraid to go far from the coastal with this long leg. I'm not sure that my boat can burn so little fuel.
I could take of one propeller, but its a hard work.
Do you want to come with me? I'll pay 100% percent more, 4 centavos :)

Hi Sergio,

December and January are a lot better especilay the wave hight is a lot less. For December/January close to the coast 2 knot current against you. Wind force 4 from NE to E

I understand you hesitation, my advice go as far as you trust yourself out of the coast. For example; 120 NM out of the coast the current against you is reduced to 1 knot. Wind still force 4 from NE to E The waves are more comfortable.

Also don't underestimate the problem with the small fishing vessels close to the coast. nerv breaking.

I know, whats the right decision to make.

Cees

PS. this are some Notes on your Charts;

Attachments

• Chart Notes.JPG
    Chart Notes.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom