Old 04-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
Moonstruck
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
We'll board the Krogen Tues morning at SW Fla Yachts in North Ft Myers (not Burnt Store) for our 5-night charter. Thanks again for all the good suggestions.

In my previous boating life, under a 45-ft mast, we always tried to avoid thunderstorms. Looks like that will be hard to do in SW Fla next week with 30-50 % chances most days we're there. We plan to anchor out most nights. How do you guys approach unsettled weather while cruising?

Thanks.
Just find the most sheltered anchorage you can get into. Set you anchor solidly. When the main wind force hits, I will start my engines. Many times the wind will clock around, and move you 180 degrees. Check the anchor to see that it reset properly.

With the draft of a Krogen if you are underway in a channel, you will have little chance for maneuvering. Too much shallow water. You will just have to crab or whatever to stay in the channel. Most of the time the storms will occur in the afternoon. I just try to be at anchor between 2 and 3 pm. That's the way I like to cruise anyway.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote