Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #199
Codger2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrane View Post
It seems that members of this forum find $500k for a new yacht out of the question.
Not true! $500K for an E-trawler is out of the question for most.

There are 35-40' trawlers that can be bought for less than $500K which would more than satisfy most on this forum. Why? They have a decent turn of speed, are economical to operate, they fit most marina slips (beam) and are ergonomically pleasing to the "admirals" of the fleet. Ad to this that they appeal to a wide range of buyers in the after market.

I think an E-trawler's time has not come yet. I owned a 21' Duffy (all electric) when I lived on Lake Serena in Scottsdale,AZ. It was a great little dinner cruiser that my wife, dogs and I enjoyed very much. In fact, it was the first electric boat on that man made lake and resulted in other homeowners jumping on the band wagon. Why? No gas powered motors were allowed, the lake was a very calm lake, no one slept aboard, 4-5 knots just made the lake seem bigger and you simply plugged it in when you got back to your doc & the resale was almost automatic. In short, it was the perfect environment for an electric boat. The trawler environment (IMO) is not!