Repaint or decal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We can see ghost images of both of Skinny Dippin's prior names on the transom... and we don't really care. The dinghy covers them and we moved the name up to the sundeck surround. See Bess' avatar. Pretty sure it will ghost-in too, but up there will be easy to paint over if, in the future, there are new owners.

I have a quick question: If we ever sell her, can we, in a sales contract, require or request that the new owners to change the name?

Tom-

You can request anything. That doesn't mean it will happen though. "Require" ? And how would you enforce it?

Unless you find a way to copyright or trademark your boat's name there's nothing you can do to keep other people from using the same name as yours.

There are currently 39 "HIGH COTTON"s documented plus a few more variations of the name.

You could, of course, rename it before you sell it. Name it something like "Reel Knotty" and the next owner is sure to rename it. ;)

And how would you enforce it?

Strip off the name BEFORE you sell it , and make it easier for the next owner to easily have his fancy..

You might even treat the next owner to the next name decal and install it ,

so the bad luck of a name change will follow YOU instead of the boat.

Could be a great selling point!

Well I was able to remove the painted on name yesterday. Used of all things Easy Off oven cleaner and it softened the paint within minutes enough to scrape off. Did a light sanding with wet sandpaper and now just need to buff and have the new decals applied. Hope to splash in another week. Been a long winter.

Attachments

• transom (Large).jpg
    transom (Large).jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have a quick question: If we ever sell her, can we, in a sales contract, require or request that the new owners to change the name?

I did that two boats ago. I removed the name for sea trial and cut the new owner a set and had them available. I own two vinyl cutters and having the new name ready to apply was a big selling point for him and his wife.

My avatar to the left is a picture of the logo on our fly bridge. (Honey Badger)

Tom-

I've seen that done several times in our marina at the GB dealer. It will say on the listing sheet (which is also posted in a window of the boat which is how I know this) that the boat's name does not go with the boat and must be changed as a condition of the sale.

I don't know how enforceable this is but it has always been complied with on the boats that sold and remained in our marina. All the times I've seen this done it was because the sellers had a acquired a different boat and wanted to use the same name.

If we ever acquire a different cruiser we will do the same thing.

Last edited:
Well the painted on sign came off rather easily with Easy Off oven cleaner and here are the pictures of the project start to finish. The decal was not exactly like I had asked for but it's certainly a big improvement IMO.

Attachments

• Great Lakes 33  on dry dock crop (Large).jpg
    Great Lakes 33 on dry dock crop (Large).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 58
  • transom (Large).jpg
    transom (Large).jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1662 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1662 (Large).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Back